✟1,160,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
New evidence for a global flood?

Scientists are now saying they have new evidence.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/03/earth-may-have-been-a-waterworld-3-2-billion-years-ago/
You mixed up the 2 times.

Billions of years ago isn't comparable with thousands of years ago.

Yes, Earth is very strongly evidenced to have been a Water World! It's fun that science is confirming some parts of Genesis chapter 1 !

Notice that time difference: chapter 1, not chapter 6-7....

--------------
The science finding that Earth was mostly all submerged in water is more than 10 years old now(!), but it's interesting to read updated studies. Here's a more informative source than a newspaper article:
Geologists determine early Earth was a 'water world' by studying exposed ocean crust

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,160,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here is the older source I first read way back on Earth being a Water World. It was a wonderful clue that Genesis chapter 1 isn't only a Poem About Creation -- it is, but it is also intriguingly more than only just that.

The original finding from 2008 (now outdated in some details):
Ancient Earth was a barren waterworld

Upvote 0

jamesbond007

Site Supporter
Mar 26, 2018
Sacramento
✟118,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
You mixed up the 2 times.

Billions of years ago isn't comparable with thousands of years ago.

Yes, Earth is very strongly evidenced to have been a Water World! It's fun that science is confirming some parts of Genesis chapter 1 !

Notice that time difference: chapter 1, not chapter 6-7....

--------------
The science finding that Earth was mostly all submerged in water is more than a year old now, but it's interesting to read updated details. Here's a more informative source than a newspaper article:
Geologists determine early Earth was a 'water world' by studying exposed ocean crust

The news article I posted links the science paper from nature geoscience. And your Science Daily link is from 3/2/2020, not a year old.

What other evidence do I have? There are underground civilizations buried all around the world in layers of earth. Also, there are underwater civilization evidence. Moreover, the Earth is covered with surface 3/4 ocean water. It doesn't fit the 3.2 billion year timeline. Also, it would mean the evolutionary timeline would be jumbled up, too, as it assumes the older layers came first.

Upvote 0

jamesbond007

Site Supporter
Mar 26, 2018
Sacramento
✟118,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Sorry, that is not evidence for a flood. Even if the Earth was a waterworld that does not mean it was flooded. A flood is a temporary covering by water of land that is normally dry.

We don't have a temporary covering of water when 3/4 of the surface is ocean.

Upvote 0

jamesbond007

Site Supporter
Mar 26, 2018
Sacramento
✟118,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Here is the older source I first read way back on Earth being a Water World. It was a wonderful clue that Genesis chapter 1 isn't only a Poem About Creation -- it is, but it is also intriguingly more than only just that.

The original finding from 2008 (now outdated in some details):
Ancient Earth was a barren waterworld

You need a subscription. What was the evidence they had for water 2.5 B yrs ago?

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,160,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,160,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You need a subscription. What was the evidence they had for water 2.5 B yrs ago?
By "outdated" it is meant that the 2008 model (simulation; a theoretical model projected with reasonable assumptions and information available at the time), from 2008, that pointed to Earth being a Water World, that such an old model is by now long outdated: no longer the most accurate model possible. Of course, now we have something better than was available in 2008 -- more direct evidence to use, ever since 2017.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jamesbond007

Site Supporter
Mar 26, 2018
Sacramento
✟118,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
By "outdated" it is meant that the 2008 model (simulation; a theoretical model projected with reasonable assumptions and information available at the time), from 2008, that pointed to Earth being a Water World, that such an old model is by now long outdated: no longer the most accurate model possible. Of course, now we have something better than was available in 2008 -- more direct evidence to use, ever since 2017.

I was thinking it may be the same model (couldn't tell if it was from the same two scientists). The two may had to rework their model and get peer review buy-in in order to get published in nature. This is quite a claim and it would affect the evolution timeline assuming we go with the 3.2 billion year timeline they have. No life was supposed to exist back then, but the buried evidence shows different.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,160,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was thinking it may be the same model (couldn't tell if it was from the same two scientists). The two may had to rework their model and get peer review buy-in in order to get published in nature. This is quite a claim and it would affect the evolution timeline assuming we go with the 3.2 billion year timeline they have. No life was supposed to exist back then, but the buried evidence shows different.
There are a lot of pieces from so many different kinds of research! Consider one thing: a Water World Earth could have some (for instance volcanic) islands for one thing, and also of course, life might have started under the water is another idea. Etc. There are a lot of reports of varied research lines.

At the moment a main idea is there were very primitive bacteria (from fossil evidence) being on Earth about 3.8bn years back (which involves some reasonable efforts at dating which of course have their own models, meaning they can get modified later in time) --
Earliest known life forms - Wikipedia.

To me, generally, all of creation, meaning the entire Universe, has unfolded perfectly like a flower from a seed.

An amazing, perfect design. Physics is the term for those fundamental laws of nature by which all of nature operates.

As soon as this particular Physics we have was brought into being, then all this Universe unfolded just as we see, simply that Design (physics) in action. We understand of course from scripture that God has intervened here on this wonderful home we live on many times. We are not necessarily told all of the times. I think He intervened to choose the asteroid 66 million years ago that made the dominant dinosaurs into compost, and cleared the way for the rise of the mammals, and the age of man.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
We don't have a temporary covering of water when 3/4 of the surface is ocean.
Still having trouble with the concept of a "flood" I see. Perhaps that is because you knew if you understood it you would know why Noah's Ark never happened.

You cannot twist science to support beliefs. That will get you nowhere. Either one can support one's ideas by using the sciences or one cannot. It is not possible to support one's belief in the flood of Noah with the sciences since they all tell us that it never happened.

• Winner
Reactions: summerville
Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Why do you think that no life was supposed to exist back then?

Upvote 0

summerville

Feb 22, 2020
Atlanta
✟11,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

summerville

Feb 22, 2020
Atlanta
✟11,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,160,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Still having trouble with the concept of a "flood" I see. Perhaps that is because you knew if you understood it you would know why Noah's Ark never happened.

You cannot twist science to support beliefs. That will get you nowhere. Either one can support one's ideas by using the sciences or one cannot. It is not possible to support one's belief in the flood of Noah with the sciences since they all tell us that it never happened.
Heh, large regional floods aren't even needing novel theory. They simply occur more rarely. The local hills the locals call mountains could get covered even in a big enough rain event. But I like to speculate. We know asteroids/comets hit the Earth, and about 70% of the surface area is ocean. It's not even far out to imagine a low angle impact in a deep ocean area vaporizing a great mass of ocean water. So, I do wonder what that would look like in a range of scenarios of size and approach angle. It could cause an unusual rain event.

Heh heh, as you know we are only one event away from having our lives changed, all the time.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,160,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Have you read it? Genocide does not make for a wonderful story.

This is one of the weaker mislabels atheists have in their list of false-premise talking points.

"Genocide" isn't a "sleep" from which everyone wakes up, and then has the gospel given to them, for a chance at redemption --

"For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit. 19 After being made alive, he went and made proclamation to the imprisoned spirits— 20 to those who were disobedient long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. "

Yup -- not even asleep there, but awake and getting to hear Christ Himself giving them a chance at redemption.

What you should do -- throw the entire list of atheist talking points into the mental trash can, as they only make you misunderstand everything with a lot of false information.

What a wonderful story it is! Complete with rainbow and covenant.

Upvote 0