✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
LINK

Now, in an important advance supporting this RNA World theory, scientists at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies in La Jolla, Calif., have carried out a small but essential part of the story. In test tubes, they developed an RNA molecule that was able to make accurate copies of a different type of RNA.

The work, published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, gets them closer to the grand goal of growing an RNA molecule that makes accurate copies of itself.

To reach this point, the scientists overcame perhaps the greatest barrier to the plausibility of the RNA World theory. Up to now, no RNA molecule in the lab had succeeded in making copies of another RNA that were both sufficiently accurate and functional.

To show that their RNA was getting better at copying, the Salk team tested a 71st-generation version against one of its distant ancestors. The newer generation outperformed its ancestor when it came to making accurate copies.

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,244.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Has the independent emergence of an RNA polymerase ribozyme been demonstrated?
I don't think so .. at least not from scratch .. (noted that this wasn't the purpose of this particular study/demonstration).
Happy to be corrected if others can point to where it has, though(?)

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That's impressive. Those scientists must have to be very intelligent to design an RNA molecule.
They would have had to be very intelligent indeed, had they designed it. In reality, they relied on evolution to produce it.

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,244.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
That's impressive. Those scientists must have to be very intelligent to design an RNA molecule.
They engineered it .. The process by which RNA polymerase evolved is unknown at present, therefore the term 'designed' is not supportable.

Reactions: Larniavc
Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,244.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
They would have had to be very intelligent indeed, had they designed it. In reality, they relied on evolution to produce it.
I would say they can now use evolutionary principles to refine a higher fidelity replicator.
The evidence underpinning that statement, comes with this research.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,737.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Did evolution produce the lab and the test tubes used?

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,737.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
They engineered it .. The process by which RNA polymerase evolved is unknown at present, therefore the term 'designed' is not supportable.
Engineered, developed, designed...I say tomato you say tomato.

• Winner
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟241,112.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I don't think so .. at least not from scratch .. (noted that this wasn't the purpose of this particular study/demonstration).
Happy to be corrected if others can point to where it has, though(?)
I thought not. Its analagous to playing a word game where letters are added to blank spaces laid out as words. Until we know all the letters we don't know for sure what the "message" says. I applaud this effort to clarify one of the letters. I just urge caution in over-stating its significance. There is no need to provide ammunition for mud slinging by the usual suspects.

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,244.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I thought not. Its analagous to playing a word game where letters are added to blank spaces laid out as words. Until we know all the letters we don't know for sure what the "message" says. I applaud this effort to clarify one of the letters.
Yes.
RNA polymerase acts as an enzymatic catalyst in this transcription/replication process.
Informatic process descriptions of autocatalytic sets, starting from simpler polymeric components, forms the basis of computer simulations, which then leads onto sets of lab-based experiments currently underway.
Personally speaking, I'm not aware of any legit molecular evolutionary biologists making claims beyond any of that.

I guess I'm somewhat pre-empting your concurrence with me there(?) I'm also, somewhat presumptively, looking forward to your participation in any 'clarifications' others may require going forward in this thread.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟241,112.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I guess I'm somewhat pre-empting your concurrence with me there(?) I'm also, somewhat presumptively, looking forward to your participation in any 'clarifications' others may require going forward in this thread.
My clarifications are more likely to muddy the waters. My knowledge of biochemistry lies at the interested layman level and I probably haven't taken a serious look at abiogenesis since reading some of Stuart Kaufman's work say ten years ago. I'm reminded of him by your reference to autocatalytic sets.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,301.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Could you make snowflakes if you
had carefully designed equipment?
Would each need to be hand made?

Of course you could make snow, but you could also
go watch them form spontaneously outdoors
no lab, no design, just let the materials and
forces do their bit.

You may be imagining a " Designer" who is
not up to the task of making a unuverse that
can do cool,things on its own. Without tinkering with every molecule.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟241,112.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Could you make snowflakes if you
had carefully designed equipment?
Would each need to be hand made?

Of course you could make snow, but you could also
go watch them form spontaneously outdoors
no lab, no design, just let the materials and
forces do their bit.

You may be imagining a " Designer" who is
not up to the task of making a unuverse that
can do cool,things on its own. Without tinkering with every molecule.
I have worked for managers, I have observed managers, I have been a manager, I have studied management.

Managers, good managers, don't do anything material. The manager of McDonald's does not serve fries in a Mcdonald's. The manager of a construction firm does not drive piles, or install electrical wiring. Managera set goals, select people, monitor performance, inspire effort, create budgets, and carry out other management tasks.

A complex society cannot work effectively, arguably cannot work at all, if it is composed only of skilled artisans and hardworking employees. Managers create an environment in which those skilled artisans and hardworkers have material to work with and customers to buy their wares.

I hope the analogy and the point are obvious - an intelligent designer designs the system. Unlike a mere human manager an omnipotent designer would not need to monitor the system and apply corrections, they just hit the "Run" button and everything from snowflakes to black holes to butterflies progressively emerge.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,737.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I have worked for managers, I have observed managers, I have been a manager, I have studied management.

Managers, good managers, don't do anything material. The manager of McDonald's does not serve fries in a Mcdonald's. The manager of a construction firm does not drive piles, or install electrical wiring. Managera set goals, select people, monitor performance, inspire effort, create budgets, and carry out other management tasks.

A complex society cannot work effectively, arguably cannot work at all, if it is composed only of skilled artisans and hardworking employees. Managers create an environment in which those skilled artisans and hardworkers have material to work with and customers to buy their wares.

I hope the analogy and the point are obvious - an intelligent designer designs the system. Unlike a mere human manager an omnipotent designer would not need to monitor the system and apply corrections, they just hit the "Run" button and everything from snowflakes to black holes to butterflies progressively emerge.
I've read that Kentucky Fried Chicken is so popular in Japan at Christmastime that they can't keep up with all the business. But for whatever reason, the Japanese don't believe in hiring temporary seasonal workers as we do in the U.S., so managers and executives will chip in and serve food at the restaurants. I guess this would be analogous to a "miracle". ;)

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟241,112.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I've read that Kentucky Fried Chicken is so popular in Japan at Christmastime that they can't keep up with all the business. But for whatever reason, the Japanese don't believe in hiring temporary seasonal workers as we do in the U.S., so managers and executives will chip in and serve food at the restaurants. I guess this would be analogous to a "miracle". ;)
That's the thing about analogies they are not meant to, nor do they need to map precisely onto the "thing" they are analagous to. There are many instances where managers will "get their hands dirty". On one occassion I plunged into processing a documentation backlog, not in order to directly help reduce the backlog (though that was a side benefit), but to demonstrate to my team that they could process more documents per day, without a fall in standards.

Please note the analogy represents what I would think was the case were I still a practicing Christian. It would reconcile scripture with the record of the rocks. I do not think that is actually what happened.

Reactions: Estrid
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,737.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
That's the thing about analogies they are not meant to, nor do they need to map precisely onto the "thing" they are analagous to. There are many instances where managers will "get their hands dirty". On one occassion I plunged into processing a documentation backlog, not in order to directly help reduce the backlog (though that was a side benefit), but to demonstrate to my team that they could process more documents per day, without a fall in standards.

Please note the analogy represents what I would think was the case were I still a practicing Christian. It would reconcile scripture with the record of the rocks. I do not think that is actually what happened.
I understand.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You're obviously not a scientific or engineering thinker, so the output of what you're saying there, is of no practical consequence.
All of the definitions I find for the word “engineer” contain the word design or designer in them. Engineered and designed can be used interchangeably because they mean the exact same thing.

Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,244.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
All of the definitions I find for the word “engineer” contain the word design or designer in them. Engineered and designed can be used interchangeably because they mean the exact same thing.
Ahh .. the folly of looking up dictionary definitions (or Googling) of terms, then solely relying on them entirely, as a point of argument by in diverting discussion from the core issue (and the significance of the research highlighted in the OP).

The meanings of words is context dependent .. and when dealing with unknowns, arguing about standard word meanings as the sole basis, is a complete waste of time, (and was not the actual point I was making).

I provided the factual context in my post #6, (which was completely ignored). It was also preceded by a similar point being made by @sfs in post#5, (which was also completely ignored).
SelfSim said:
.. The process by which RNA polymerase evolved is unknown at present
.. there are quite detailed hypotheses being developed which leverage the clarity of Evolution's explanatory power, however.

What's yours?

• Agree
Upvote 0