Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I have to say for one, this has never been an issue until 500 years ago amd even then the early church reformers had no problems at all with the wording of Theotokos.

Also as was said by All4Christ it is a Christological statement, not Maryian. This is also the Lutheran stance as I was before converting over to Orthodoxy.

I get this section is for debate and thus why this topic is here... But i cant seem to grasp why this is being debated. This is the problem (one of them) woth Protestants, always quick to argue over things which had been settled for so long.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

His priority being His Father's will doesn't mean she isn't truly His mother.

and no one is deifying Mary.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I’m sorry you see this as argumentative and negative.

I will just leave the thread then and let you all discuss it however the intention was.

God bless.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,022,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The text from the council which confirmed the teaching that Mary is the Mother of God shows how it is a Christological Statement.

We “dare to call the holy virgin, mother of God, not as though the nature of the Word or his godhead received the origin of their being from the holy virgin, but because there was born from her his holy body rationally ensouled, with which the Word was hypostatically united and is said to have been begotten in the flesh.”

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,022,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Can you explain that further?

Edit: Nevermind as I am leaving the thread and do not want to cause conflict. God bless
@ToBeLoved I just posted it above; perhaps you could read it anyways even if you leave the thread? For the record, I’m not offended. I’m just sharing the reasons why and explaining our view. You’re more than welcome to stay.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Can you explain that further?

Edit: Nevermind as I am leaving the thread and do not want to cause conflict. God bless
Hi there -

Just wanted to say I don't think you've offended anyone. You're more than welcome to stay.

And this section was created specifically so that people who want to can debate questions and issues - I don't think any faith community on CF allows debate otherwise, but the EO wanted to allow it. That doesn't mean we think you are debating. But it does tend to mean we aren't offended.

I think the comment was an observation by someone who is starting to see where debates come from - not that anyone has a problem with you asking.

Do feel free to stay, or read, or ask or reply as you might like. You are welcome here.

God be with you.

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It's amazing that after 1500 years people are still espousing the Nestorian heresy. And still dont comprehend the Hypostatic union.

The second person of the Trinity assumed humanity taking on flesh from Mary and making it His very own in a real union.
Dividing up His flesh and spirit and natures into parts is nonsensical as we point to the Person who the apostles saw, beheld , dined with, and walked upon this Earth. That historical cohesive person is our starting and ending point Christ our God.

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The point being when religion tries to ddiefy Mary. They are going against Jesus Own teaching
It's not to deify Mary, it's to deify her Son from those that deny his divinity.
The acceptance of the term by the Alexandrians would have been nonsensical if Arius was correct. Likewise its incorrect to claim the man Jesus was just a temporary receptacle to house the divine nature. Christ is a hypostatic union of God and man.

Reactions: Moses Medina
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There's a REASON, that back in the day.. that area was most commonly referred to as "General Heresies", around here!!

That is still an appropriate title for that place

Upvote 0

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's amazing that after 1500 years people are still espousing the Nestorian heresy. And still dont comprehend the Hypostatic union.

It is seemingly that much Protestantism invites heresy

Upvote 0