San Diego
✟28,176.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You can see in the below video how the speakers manipulate the crowd by raising their voices and jumping around. They know exactly how to whip the crowd into a frenzy. If this is the same thing that the OP is referring to, then there is no Biblical evidence or prescription for it.

Yeah it does seem to have some sense of mass hysteria to it.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟653,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Yeah it does seem to have some sense of mass hysteria to it.

That's an indication (to me, anyway) that such things are not from God when it's men standing up in front trying to rile everyone up into an emotional frenzy. If it's coming from the spirit of God, then why would we have to try so hard to work ourselves up into an emotional frenzy in order to make it happen?

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
That's an indication (to me, anyway) that such things are not from God when it's men standing up in front trying to rile everyone up into an emotional frenzy. If it's coming from the spirit of God, then why would we have to try so hard to work ourselves up into an emotional frenzy in order to make it happen?

Yup.

Upvote 0

Lady&TheCoatofmanycolors

Kingdom Heir <3
Jul 6, 2016
CA
✟16,008.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
These are the verses I have found on the subject matter.
Belonging to a extremely conservative pentecostal church , we haven't come across this much . We need to remember every church, teacher, preacher & congregation are different :)

John 18:6 - As soon then as he had said unto them, I am [he], they went backward, and fell to the ground.

2 Chronicles 5:14 - So that the priests could not stand to minister by reason of the cloud: for the glory of the LORD had filled the house of God.

Upvote 0

Lady&TheCoatofmanycolors

Kingdom Heir <3
Jul 6, 2016
CA
✟16,008.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think they need an excorist

So the thing I find funny also is just the opposite, all though I've never rolled around in " The Spirit" :)

How about Music being played whatsoever as being seen as demonic ??
So many biblical scriptures on music Glorifying God .
Crazy what a denomination can do with a little fear.
So we can go too far to one side & become crazy strict in another .
I'm just glad there will be no denomination in Heaven !!! LOL
GIVE Grace :)

MATT.5:19
Whoever, therefore, shall break one of these least commandments, and teach others to do so, shall be called least:bow: in the Kingdom of Heaven; but whoever shall do and teach them shall be called great in the Kingdom of Heaven

James 3New King James Version (NKJV)
The Untamable Tongue
3 My brethren, let not many of you become teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment. 2 For we all stumble in many things.:amen: If anyone does not stumble in word, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle the whole body.3 Indeed, we put bits in horses’ mouths that they may obey us, and we turn their whole body. 4 Look also at ships: although they are so large and are driven by fierce winds, they are turned by a very small rudder wherever the pilot desires. 5 Even so the tongue is a little member and boasts great things.
I think they need an excorist

Upvote 0

Razare

God gave me a throne
Nov 20, 2014
✟10,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I attended a Pentecostal Church and people began dropping and rolling on the floor.
What scriptural support do they offer for this type of behavior?

Depends. Different kind of things happen.

For one, it can be strongholds manifesting. When God's presence gets really strong, any Christian oppressed by a demon, bound up in chains, that Christian may start shaking profusely on the floor out of control. This happens because God is trying to free them through the Holy Spirit of the chains, supernaturally. God frees the NT using quakes.

After they prayed, the place where they were meeting was shaken. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke the word of God boldly. - Acts 4:31

Suddenly there was such a violent earthquake that the foundations of the prison were shaken. At once all the prison doors flew open, and everyone's chains came loose. - Acts 16:26

Here is an example of people being bound by devils, and then the anointing shaking the chains loose:

How do you know? Spiritual discernment and revelation from God. Some knowledge in the Bible is only understood by the spiritual principles when you have operated in them. It does not disagree with the Bible when you have that first-hand experience, it is supported by the Bible, but strictly from a mental understanding of scripture, a person would usually not arrive at that assertion. God's word revealed in scripture has progressive revelation. This means people don't understand a lot of it, and you will never get into the better understandings without God's assistance using the Holy Spirit.

But ignorant people would think, "A demon manifested, the speaker must be of the devil!!" No....

In the synagogue there was a man possessed by a demon, an impure spirit. He cried out at the top of his voice, - Luke 4:33

Now, Christians are not demon possessed like this. Christians however, can give place to the devil and be bound and oppressed. So when the presence of God is strong, the chains and oppressions will manifest. But rather than a demon crying out, the demon does not have that control over a Christian, rather the Christian just gets freed by the presence of God there through a shaking in some instances. Freedom can happen other ways, but this is one way it happens. God shakes, but the shaking happens because they are bound. Make sense? Probably not to most anyone, I'm the only one who teaches this.

------------------------

Second, they could be having Holy Spirit fun times.

If they are laughing on the floor or caught up in joy, then that's what it is.

Joy includes laughter, don't you know? Imagine a joyful person who is forbidden to laugh. Sounds kind of bad, don't you think? Rather when a child is happy they laugh. We are supposed to be as children with God.

Galatians 5:22 - But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,

When supernatural joy of the spirit manifests, it can include a lot of laughing. And when kids start laughing, what do they sometimes do, they fall over giggling, sometimes you may have seen a kid roll on the floor.

Ever heard of ROFL... it stands for rolling on the floor laughing. Why was that expression ever given? It was given because a common human behavior when you are really, really laughing extremely, would be that you also roll on the floor.

This sort of thing can happen with God's children. It's common human behavior.

-------------------------

Third, they could be putting on a show.

Some churches don't know how to be led by the spirit that well, but they want to be, so they just put on a fake show and call it the Holy Spirit. Happens often.

---------------------------

Four, sometimes when you are slain in the spirit, you might roll a ways. I guess you could roll on the floor when the spirit slays you but why would you? When I get slain in the spirit, I just stay down.

Being slain in the spirit is like a hard study from scripture. I could probably dig it out, but there aren't many verses on it.

The easiest way to understand being slain in the spirit is supernatural peace. And when you have supernatural peace from God, you're not exerting your body with carnal muscles. Rather you just go limp, fall over, and you're caught up in God's peace. This is basically what being slain in the spirit is. Sometimes you might get a vision from God while in his peace, or get a message from him.

Now you can actually use your body over in God's peace, you can actually operate in the spirit to the point your natural mind forgets what happened. Like a black-out. It happens. That person would have exerted themselves while in God's peace, led 100% by the spirit.

---------------------------

Now if they are just rolling on the floor with solemn faces or something, not laughing, not shaking, but like with intent and focus. Then they are bonkers, and I got no idea what they are doing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,647.00
Faith
Christian
Galatians 5:22 - But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,

You missed out a couple of other fruits of the spirit, gentleness and self-control. How can shaking and rolling around uncontrollably on the floor be from the Spirit when one of the fruits of the Spirit is self-control?

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
might i suggest a simple thing that seems to be so often overlooked ..(though not having read every post in this thread may have already been pointed out )
sometimes ,evil spirits which usually prefer to HIDE away deviously in the dark .. are made manifest when the presence of God shows up ..
so i suggest to you.. it was not the denomination ,nor thier actions, which caused your aunt to behave in a manner contrary to the word of god .. but simple a lying spirit which was hidden i her life ,being exposed .. and so it reacted by spewing out its lies .
As this was one of the few threads that I have read through from the beginning, even though there has been maybe three posters who have provided some really good insights, unless I’ve missed a post or two it seems that your post was the first to hit the mark.

Even though I consider when most people “fall to the ground” with the help of a catcher, that it is n othing more than the result of human emotion at play, where it can be very easy to follow the crowd so to speak, do I see it as a work of the Holy Spirit, well not really.

To get back to the point of your post, I have certainly observed over the years within the Church that there are undoubtedly numerous individuals who in my opinion are suffering from either some severe emotional or mental issues and with some I would be more inclined to say that they are probably under some form of demonic control. Quite often it seems that with those who are most likely under some form of demonic oppression/possession that when they allow themselves to submit to a spiritual force that this is often not the Holy Spirit but of whatever demonic powers that may have a hold over them.

Without going into great detail, it can at times be easy to observe that what some people deem to be the ministry of the Holy Spirit, is in fact the outworking of the spiritual force that has control over them. Often I have seen gleeful pastors and prayer teams getting excited over what they incorrectly presume is a work of the Holy Spirit when the person on the floor is in fact showing signs of either severe emotional instability or even demonic activity.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As this was one of the few threads that I have read through from the beginning, even though there has been maybe three posters who have provided some really good insights, unless I’ve missed a post or two it seems that your post was the first to hit the mark.

Even though I consider when most people “fall to the ground” with the help of a catcher, that it is n othing more than the result of human emotion at play, where it can be very easy to follow the crowd so to speak, do I see it as a work of the Holy Spirit, well not really.

To get back to the point of your post, I have certainly observed over the years within the Church that there are undoubtedly numerous individuals who in my opinion are suffering from either some severe emotional or mental issues and with some I would be more inclined to say that they are probably under some form of demonic control. Quite often it seems that with those who are most likely under some form of demonic oppression/possession that when they allow themselves to submit to a spiritual force that this is often not the Holy Spirit but of whatever demonic powers that may have a hold over them.

Without going into great detail, it can at times be easy to observe that what some people deem to be the ministry of the Holy Spirit, is in fact the outworking of the spiritual force that has control over them. Often I have seen gleeful pastors and prayer teams getting excited over what they incorrectly presume is a work of the Holy Spirit when the person on the floor is in fact showing signs of either severe emotional instability or even demonic activity.
one thing i'm beginning to learn (bit late really should have learned it so much sooner ) is to not assume -anything .
i borrow from the example of paul when he came to those baptised by john the baptist ..
there was something missing and he could "see' it was absent .. so he did not assume anything ..he simply asked them outright " are you baptized into christ -are you baptized in the holy Spirit . why did he ask ) of course you and i know it was the absence of joy and evidence of tongues ) what has this to do with the topic ? well,in so many assemblies we see people "fall down ' .. most i agree from emotional swoon and a desire to 'be seen ' falling down . and many thing..oh they are being touched by the lord .they then ruse up and go home . But ..if you go and question the person directly .. you often find they have never been baptised in water or the holy Spirit and no "change ' is effected in their life , they go to seminars and so called spiritual meetings ,have experiences ,feel good and go home .. its all very carnal .and upon some very direct questioning you find.. they are not actually born again at all .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums