Drop your theological errors off here...

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟217,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm pretty much down with you on everything but predestination, since that is explicitly stated in Scripture, and only by the worst kind of interpretive gymnastics can it be made not to "mean" what it says.

Ephesians 1
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:
4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.
7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;
8 Wherein he hath abounded toward us in all wisdom and prudence;
9 Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself:
10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:
11 In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:
12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.

Reactions: sdowney717
Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Oh, sorry, now I see what you mean. I'm a dork.

The languages at Pentecost were regular languages. Tongues are different.

At our Parish we have a lot of tech people, me included. We often refer to ourselves as orthodorks. :sorry:

Forgive me...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm pretty much down with you on everything but predestination, since that is explicitly stated in Scripture, and only by the worst kind of interpretive gymnastics can it be made not to "mean" what it says.

Ephesians 1
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:
4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.
7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;
8 Wherein he hath abounded toward us in all wisdom and prudence;
9 Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself:
10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:
11 In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:
12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.

To you, does this negate free will?

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Oh, sorry, now I see what you mean. I'm a dork.

The languages at Pentecost were regular languages. Tongues are different.

So not ACTS 2. what then? Corinthians?

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

Devin P

Apr 16, 2017
Michigan
✟99,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Drop your

Primacy,
filioque clause (and the Son),
Purgatory,
Indulgences,
beleif in hell as a physical place,
Dispensationalism,
disbelief in the Trinity,
belief in a pretribulation Rapture,
belief that we can't fall from grace,
Prosperity Gospel,
belief in a 1000 year reign on earth,
hellfire and damnation preaching,
belief that Icons are Idols,
praying to Mary is wrong,
depravity of man,
just the bible and me,
infallability of scriptures,
infalable personal translation of scriptures,
belief that the Holy Spirit leads us individually in interpreting scripture,
Predestination,
belief that works do not assist our salvation,
disbelief in prayers for the dead,
disbelief in prayers to Saints,
disbelief in infant baptism,
Refusal to recognize any form of liturgical worship,
attempts to predict the end of time from scripture,
salvition moment "I'm saved",
Mosaic laws,
following Judaism,
beliefs that the nation state of Israel is spiritual Israel,
belief that Jesus died to pay off God's anger,

and come sing in the liturgy at an Orthodox Christian Church and partake of Holy Communion.

Drop your

Primacy, If you mean being first, Hebrew was the first language. Some historians try to debunk this, but all other languages (early languages that is) have been proven to copy biblical (paleo) Hebrew.
filioque clause (and the Son), Not sure what this is
Purgatory, Lies the Catholic church spreads
Indulgences, Not today Catholic church
beleif in hell as a physical place, The bible speaks against this
Dispensationalism, And this
disbelief in the Trinity, I believe they are all the same, I'm researching into the spirit, but as for the son and the father, it's pretty clear the scripture says they are one.
belief in a pretribulation Rapture, Doesn't exist
belief that we can't fall from grace, One of the most dangerous lies out there
Prosperity Gospel, One of the most disgustingly exploiting lies out there
belief in a 1000 year reign on earth, The bible describes there is such a thing, but words it in a way that I feel it might not mean what most think it means
hellfire and damnation preaching, It's needed at times for certain people, and not needed at other times for certain people, just depends on what you're struggling with
belief that Icons are Idols, They can be. Doesn't mean they inherently are, but anything can be an idol, so.
praying to Mary is wrong, absolutely wrong, but then again so is most of the catholic church
depravity of man, All good comes from the father, and no good can come from ourselves. I think God can move through even those that don't believe in him, but he is pretty clear where goodness comes from.
just the bible and me, there needs to be a fellowship, for sure. If for nothing else other than mental strength and fortitude (aside from needing the full body to operate)
infallability of scriptures, Matthew 7:23, the word iniquity in the greek means anomia, which is lawlessness. Iniquity does not equate that meaning in the english. The scriptures aren't 100% infallible. That's just how it is.
infalable personal translation of scriptures, Interpretations are for God
belief that the Holy Spirit leads us individually in interpreting scripture, This belief is destroying us
Predestination, I agree to an extent, but I believe that we can will ourselves into our out of salvation - falling from grace is an example
belief that works do not assist our salvation, We're called to sin, and sin is the breaking of the law - meaning, we have to fulfill the law, so there are works we have to do that assist our salvation - not define or make it
disbelief in prayers for the dead, This, and the next three are man-made doctrines.
attempts to predict the end of time from scripture, impossible
salvition moment "I'm saved", it is possible (think of the thief on the cross with Jesus that was instantly saved for his repentance before death)
Mosaic laws, the law was given so we would know sin, without it, we cannot know sin, nor can avoid it if we break it, because to break it, is to sin - although, biblically, you can tell that the law didn't just start with Moses. As abraham, noah, and adam and eve and their children were to obey it. (Genesis 26:5, Genesis 7:2, Genesis 4:4) also, think of what happened when Adam and Eve fell into sin? God killed animals and covered them with their skins Genesis 3:2
following Judaism, I don't think we should follow Judaism, but we should follow the scriptures and do what they tell us to do.
beliefs that the nation state of Israel is spiritual Israel, Matthew 15:24, Jesus only came to save the lost sheep of the house of Israel, and in the end, the only ones saved, are those of Israel. So, either, you're part of Israel, and are grafted in because of faith, or, you're not saved. The bible is pretty clear on that.
belief that Jesus died to pay off God's anger, It's not that he payed off God's anger. God is a righteous judge. Sin's punishment is death. And since Christ took our sin, he was punished, so that way the very nature of God could be fulfilled and his judgement could be diverted from us, to himself. Showing that he is truly a God of love and selfless sacrifice (the ultimate form of love)

and come sing in the liturgy at an Orthodox Christian Church and partake of Holy Communion. I mean, it depends. I'd have to hear more. So far, this belief sounds similar to those Jesus said he will not accept "depart from me, ye who practice lawlessness."

Last edited:
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Drop your

Primacy, If you mean being first, Hebrew was the first language. Some historians try to debunk this, but all other languages (early languages that is) have been proven to copy biblical (paleo) Hebrew.
filioque clause (and the Son), Not sure what this is
Purgatory, Lies the Catholic church spreads
Indulgences, Not today Catholic church
beleif in hell as a physical place, The bible speaks against this
Dispensationalism, And this
disbelief in the Trinity, I believe they are all the same, I'm researching into the spirit, but as for the son and the father, it's pretty clear the scripture says they are one.
belief in a pretribulation Rapture, Doesn't exist
belief that we can't fall from grace, One of the most dangerous lies out there
Prosperity Gospel, One of the most disgustingly exploiting lies out there
belief in a 1000 year reign on earth, The bible describes there is such a thing, but words it in a way that I feel it might not mean what most think it means
hellfire and damnation preaching, It's needed at times for certain people, and not needed at other times for certain people, just depends on what you're struggling with
belief that Icons are Idols, They can be. Doesn't mean they inherently are, but anything can be an idol, so.
praying to Mary is wrong, absolutely wrong, but then again so is most of the catholic church
depravity of man, All good comes from the father, and no good can come from ourselves. I think God can move through even those that don't believe in him, but he is pretty clear where goodness comes from.
just the bible and me, there needs to be a fellowship, for sure. If for nothing else other than mental strength and fortitude (aside from needing the full body to operate)
infallability of scriptures, Matthew 7:23, the word iniquity in the greek means anomia, which is lawlessness. Iniquity does not equate that meaning in the english. The scriptures aren't 100% infallible. That's just how it is.
infalable personal translation of scriptures, Interpretations are for God
belief that the Holy Spirit leads us individually in interpreting scripture, This belief is destroying us
Predestination, I agree to an extent, but I believe that we can will ourselves into our out of salvation - falling from grace is an example
belief that works do not assist our salvation, We're called to sin, and sin is the breaking of the law - meaning, we have to fulfill the law, so there are works we have to do that assist our salvation - not define or make it
disbelief in prayers for the dead, This, and the next three are man-made doctrines.
attempts to predict the end of time from scripture, impossible
salvition moment "I'm saved", it is possible (think of the thief on the cross with Jesus that was instantly saved for his repentance before death)
Mosaic laws, the law was given so we would know sin, without it, we cannot know sin, nor can avoid it if we break it, because to break it, is to sin - although, biblically, you can tell that the law didn't just start with Moses. As abraham, noah, and adam and eve and their children were to obey it. (Genesis 26:5, Genesis 7:2, Genesis 4:4) also, think of what happened when Adam and Eve fell into sin? God killed animals and covered them with their skins Genesis 3:2
following Judaism, I don't think we should follow Judaism, but we should follow the scriptures and do what they tell us to do.
beliefs that the nation state of Israel is spiritual Israel, Matthew 15:24, Jesus only came to save the lost sheep of the house of Israel, and in the end, the only ones saved, are those of Israel. So, either, you're part of Israel, and are grafted in because of faith, or, you're not saved. The bible is pretty clear on that.
belief that Jesus died to pay off God's anger, It's not that he payed off God's anger. God is a righteous judge. Sin's punishment is death. And since Christ took our sin, he was punished, so that way the very nature of God could be fulfilled and his judgement could be diverted from us, to himself. Showing that he is truly a God of love and selfless sacrifice (the ultimate form of love)

and come sing in the liturgy at an Orthodox Christian Church and partake of Holy Communion. I mean, it depends. I'd have to hear more. So far, this belief sounds similar to those Jesus said he will not accept "depart from me, ye who practice lawlessness."
Boy... that color is hard to read. Dont suppose I could get you to choose something just a little darker...:wave:

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
When you read Matthew about the wheat and the tares... who is it that gets pulled first?
Matthew 13:30
Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.
Harvesting is hard work................

Joel 3:13 Put ye in the sickle, for the harvest is ripe: come, get you down; for the press is full, the fats overflow; for their wickedness [is] great.

Reve 14:15 And another Messenger came out out of the Sanctuary crying out in a great voice to the One sitting upon the cloud "send! the sickle of thee and reap! that came the hour to reap, that is dried the harvest of the land. [Joel 3:13/Matt 13:30]

Reactions: OrthodoxyUSA
Upvote 0

Rubiks

proud libtard
Aug 14, 2012
United States
✟137,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes. The Orthodox have several errant beliefs, but why make a big deal of that today? Most of these errors are over secondary issues, so I don't see your point. Are you ridding yourself of them? Is this an open confession of sorts?

You also list some common errors of western evangelicals, which I would agree with are errors, but isn't it better to focus on what Christians have in common?

nice passive aggression.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

I would think the "amillennialism" doctrine is in error.
I believe the RCC ascribes to it, not sure. It is about as close to full preterism as one can get IMHO since they view we are already in the 1000 yr period.
It is a rather interesting view and one I might just study on more since I am a Preterist.....

Amillennialism blown away by Revelation 20

Here is the amillenial position:

Amillennialists insist that the promises made to national Israel, David and Abraham, in the OT are fulfilled by Christ and the Church during this age, which is the millennium, that is the entire period of time between the two advents of our Lord. The "thousand years" are therefore symbolic of the entire inter-advental age. Satan is bound by Christ's victory over him and the establishment of the kingdom of God via the preaching of the gospel, and Satan is no longer free to deceive the nations, through the presence of Christ is reigning in heaven during this period with the martyrs who come out of the great tribulation. At the end of the millennial age, Christ returns in judgement of all men. The general resurrection occurs, final judgement takes place for all men and women, and a new Heaven and Earth are established.
C. In most forms of amillennialism, immediately before the return of Christ, Satan is unbound, there is a great apostasy, and a time of unprecedented satanically inspired evil. This last Satanic gasp and subsequent rebellious activity is destroyed by our Lord at his return.....

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I would think the "amillennialism" doctrine is in error.
I believe the RCC ascribes to it, not sure. It is about as close to full preterism as one can get IMHO since they view we are already in the 1000 yr period.
It is a rather interesting view and one I might just study on more since I am a Preterist.....

Amillennialism blown away by Revelation 20

This one goes all the way back to 325ad.

Forgive me...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,135.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
When you read Matthew about the wheat and the tares... who is it that gets pulled first?
Matthew 13:30
Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

Forgive me...

I believe that there will be seven Christian congregations represented on that day...

Ephesus - Messianic - Beginning with the Apostle to the Circumcision, Peter
Smyrna - Martyr - Beginning with the Apostle to the Un-Circumcision, Paul
Pergamos - Orthodoxy formed in this time... Pergos is a tower... Needed in the dark ages
Thyatira - Catholicism formed in this time - The spirit of Jezebel is to control and to dominate.
Sardis - Protestantism formed in this time- A sardius is a gem - elegant yet hard and rigid
Philadelphia - Wesleyism formed in this time - To be sanctioned is to acquire it with love.
Laodicea - Charismatic movement formed in this time - Beginning with DL Moody, the first to make money off of ministry

From these congregations the wheat and the tares will be separated...

The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity; And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.- Matthew 13:41-42

I believe there is good wheat and tares in every Christian congregation.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟60,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Drop your

Primacy,
Purgatory,
Indulgences,
Dispensationalism,
Prosperity Gospel,
depravity of man,
just the bible and me,
Predestination,
Mosaic laws,
following Judaism,

and come sing in the liturgy at an Orthodox Christian Church and partake of Holy Communion.
So orthodox or hell I guess is the message here smh

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟811,949.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Drop your

Primacy,
Purgatory,
Indulgences,
Dispensationalism,
Prosperity Gospel,
depravity of man,
just the bible and me,
Predestination,
Mosaic laws,
following Judaism,

No thanks. As long as God accepts our worship is all I need.

God bless.

Upvote 0