Isserty_Dawn

Faith is not knowing God can, but that He will
Feb 15, 2004
✟16,310.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Private
Does anyone believe that God talks to us through our dreams. I'm not sure but several things that I have dreamt about have happened. Some people say He doesn't and some say He does. Could someone please tell me if there are any verses talking about the subject and if so how do you tell if it's God or just you? :confused:

ub4me

Senior Veteran
Feb 16, 2005
USA
✟20,873.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ACTS 2:17

And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams

ACTS 2:18

And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:

I believe it, because:bow: God said it.....

Upvote 0

Vi

Sep 17, 2004
Central Ohio
✟18,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
yes, they 'could' be.

also remember that dreams are often our inner thoughts brought out to us through symbols. Water in a dream often refers to life, animals in a dream usually symbolize our drives. Each culture would symbolize differently from another, of course. Dream analysis can be very beneficial.

However, I am not minimizing that God surely could chose to contact us through dreams. I agree with what everyone else has already written about that.

Upvote 0

wayfaring man

Veteran
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
5th May 2005 11:37 AM
Isserty_Dawn ---Does anyone believe that God talks to us through our dreams. I'm not sure but several things that I have dreamt about have happened. Some people say He doesn't and some say He does. Could someone please tell me if there are any verses talking about the subject and if so how do you tell if it's God or just you?

God speaks to us in many ways , and dreams are clearly one of those ways .

But as has been mentioned - many dreams are not directly divinely inspired .

How can one tell them apart . By the fruit thereof . ( The extended potential for influencing the mind and heart ) .

Good fruit has the potential for godly influence . Inspires godly sorrow , repentance , encourages holy , upright thoughts , words , and deeds .

Bad fruit conveys the potential for ungodly influence . Suggests apathy , indifference towards Christ , tries to justify unjustness , immorality , ungodliness .

If there arise among you a prophet, or a dreamer of dreams, and giveth thee a sign or a wonder,
And the sign or the wonder come to pass, whereof he spake unto thee, saying, Let us go after other gods, which thou hast not known, and let us serve them;
Thou shalt not hearken unto the words of that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams
... <-----> Deuteronomy 13:1-3

When I say, My bed shall comfort me, my couch shall ease my complaint;
Then thou scarest me with dreams, and terrifiest me through visions:
So that my soul chooseth strangling, and death rather than my life.
<-----> Job 7:13-15

For in the multitude of dreams and many words there are also divers vanities: but fear thou God. <-----> Ecclesiastes 5:7

Can any hide himself in secret places that I shall not see him? saith the LORD. Do not I fill heaven and earth? saith the LORD.
I have heard what the prophets said, that prophesy lies in my name, saying, I have dreamed, I have dreamed.
How long shall this be in the heart of the prophets that prophesy lies? yea, they are prophets of the deceit of their own heart;
Which think to cause my people to forget my name by their dreams which they tell every man to his neighbour, as their fathers have forgotten my name for Baal.
The prophet that hath a dream, let him tell a dream; and he that hath my word, let him speak my word faithfully. What is the chaff to the wheat? saith the LORD.
Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces?
Therefore, behold, I am against the prophets, saith the LORD, that steal my words every one from his neighbour.
Behold, I am against the prophets, saith the LORD, that use their tongues, and say, He saith.
Behold, I am against them that prophesy false dreams, saith the LORD, and do tell them, and cause my people to err by their lies, and by their lightness; yet I sent them not, nor commanded them: therefore they shall not profit this people at all, saith the LORD.
<-----> Jeremiah 23:24-32

For thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel; Let not your prophets and your diviners, that be in the midst of you, deceive you, neither hearken to your dreams which ye cause to be dreamed. <-----> Jeremiah 29:8

Yet , some times dreams are directly inspired by The Lord . Take Jacob's son Joseph , and the dreams which The Bible mentions he had , for an example . ( See Genesis Chapters 37-50 )

Job speaks of God giving dreams for our good -

For God speaketh once, yea twice, yet man perceiveth it not.
In a dream, in a vision of the night, when deep sleep falleth upon men, in slumberings upon the bed;
Then he openeth the ears of men, and sealeth their instruction,
That he may withdraw man from his purpose, and hide pride from man.
He keepeth back his soul from the pit, and his life from perishing by the sword.
<-----> Job 33:14-18

The Book of Daniel also discusses several dreams and how some of them were interpreted , and came to pass .

Here's an example of a dream from God , of instuction -

But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost. <-----> Mathew 1:20

And of warning -

[ Wise Men ] And being warned of God in a dream that they should not return to Herod, they departed into their own country another way. <-----> Matthew 2:12

Dreams which God inspires are relatively rare and precious compared to the many other dreams - the " multitude of business types " . ( See Ecclesiastes 5:3 )

Yet , they are on record as occurring , and have been promised to occur .

And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions . <-----> Joel 2:28

...This is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;
And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:
And I will shew wonders in heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke:
The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and notable day of the Lord come:
And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.
<-----> Acts 2:16-21

All claims are not true , whether it be of a dream , or an interpretation of a dream ; wherefore , we are counselled to go by the fruit of a person , place , thing , or idea .

Keeping in mind that , the potential for error in others , along with our own possible lacking , can figure into how and what we " hear " , or " see " .

Not every servant of God was always 100% sure about every thing .

But they had this in common - they watched and waited , not assuming or presuming what was what .
And most importantly , they knew Who to go to -to straighten out any doubt !

So Hanameel mine uncle's son came to me in the court of the prison according to the word of the LORD, and said unto me, Buy my field, I pray thee, that is in Anathoth, which is in the country of Benjamin: for the right of inheritance is thine, and the redemption is thine; buy it for thyself. Then I knew that this was the word of the LORD. <-----> Jeremiah 32:8

Now when John had heard in the prison the works of Christ, he sent two of his disciples,
And said unto him, Art thou he that should come, or do we look for another?
Jesus answered and said unto them, Go and shew John again those things which ye do hear and see:
The blind receive their sight, and the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, and the poor have the gospel preached to them.
And blessed is he, whosoever shall not be offended in me.
<-----> Mathew 11:2-6

Peace and Joy , In The Beloved .

wm

Upvote 0

Voice of Thunder

Nov 12, 2004
Where the Buffalo Roam
✟828.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Check out John Paul Jackson, he leads Living Streams Ministries. He writes and explains about dreams and interpretation. Ask God in prayer tonight before your head hits the pillow to reveal Himself and His meanings to you in your dreams and in prayer. Are you writing down your dreams? Start a journal.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Along the lines of wm's advice, ask God why you were the one to get the dream. Was there something you needed to do, someone you needed to tell, anyone you needed to pray for, or preparations that you should make?

Begin to interpret it as you would any other dream. Ask yourself what feelings went along with each visual, and what they represented for you. You can often get a much deeper understanding in a couple minutes. For instance, I had a dream with grey skies. During my dream I remember hearing myself say, "It's like a Russian grey sky." This ended up tying in with the core meaning of the dream.

I've had dreams that I knew were God preparing me to adjust to something that might not make sense when the time came. It helped me emotionally prepare.

I've heard Jackson speak on dreams, and I would say go for it.

Upvote 0