Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Down Syndrome Births Are Down in U.S.
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/w_Paren...ory?id=8960803

Down Syndrome Births Are Down in U.S.
More Than 90 Percent of Women Carrying a Child With Down Syndrome Choose to End Their Pregnancies, but Parents Raising These Kids Say They're a 'Gift'
By SUSAN DONALDSON JAMES
Nov. 2, 2009—

After prenatal testing, Boston filmmaker Melanie McLaughlin faced the likelihood that her 12-week-old fetus had Down syndrome, or a heart defect.

She prayed for the heart defect.

Grace, now 2, was born with both: trisomy 21, or Down syndrome, and holes in all four chambers of her heart, which were repaired shortly after birth.

"I fell in love with her and handed her over to the doctor for surgery not knowing if I would get her back," McLaughlin said. "I was swearing to the powers to be that I didn't mean it, I was OK with the Down syndrome."

McLaughlin said she realized what a "horrible wish" she had made for her child.

"I was so naive, with no experience with anyone with Down syndrome," she said. "I got a huge education about that later."

"An estimated 92 percent of all women who receive a prenatal diagnosis of Down syndrome choose to terminate their pregnancies, according to research reviewed by Dr. Brian Skotko, a pediatric geneticist at Children's Hospital Boston.

Birthing trends worldwide show that women are waiting longer to have children and advanced maternal age is associated with increased risk of having a child with Down syndrome.

The number of Down Syndrome cases is declining enough in the United States to raise concerns that research funding to study the congenital condition will dry up. There's also worry that more people will deny themselves what some call the "gift" of raising children with Down syndrome.

About 400,000 Americans have Down syndrome, the most common genetic condition in the United States, which produces an array of challenges, including retardation, delayed language and slow motor development.

In the absence of prenatal testing, the United States would have experienced a 34 percent increase in the number of Down births between 1989 and 2005, Skotko estimates.

Instead, 15 percent fewer such babies were born during that time, representing a 49 percentage point difference between expected and observed rates, according to Skotko's research.

Down Syndrome Myths Drive Decision

And without knowing what it's like to raise a child with Down syndrome, many women will make their decisions based on misinformation -- and myths -- about the disorder, researchers say.

The genetic diagnosis often comes as a shock, and many people assume that raising a child with Down syndrome will be fraught with heartbreak.

But McLaughlin was lucky to be connected with First Call, a program sponsored by the Massachusetts Down Syndrome Congress, which introduced her to a family with a 5-year-old girl who has the disorder.

"She played hide and seek, and she kept jumping out, telling us where she was hiding," McLaughlin said. "She was amazing. I was thinking she would be sitting in a chair unresponsive and drooling.

"Actually, she was much like our other children," McLaughlin said. "We thought, maybe we can go forward."

McLaughlin said she worried about how the child would affect her siblings and the marriage, and who would look after her when she and her husband died.

But according to a study by Skotko, whose sister has Down syndrome, siblings are patient and compassionate. As for the marriage, some couples do experience stress in raising a disabled child, but many grow closer.

"I am concerned about mothers making that informed decision," he said. "Are they making it on facts and up-to-date information? Research suggests not, and that mothers get inaccurate, incomplete and sometimes offensive information."

One Connecticut mother who terminated her pregnancy two years ago after a Down diagnosis said her doctor "didn't paint the brightest picture."

The news was devastating, said Laurie, a 37-year-old saleswoman who did not want her last named used. "We truly felt that we were falling apart."

She learned she was carrying a child with Down syndrome after having difficulty getting pregnant with her second child, and then a miscarriage. It was the right decision for her family, she said.

"After much soul-searching, we decided to terminate the pregnancy at 14 weeks," Laurie said. "We had a beautiful, healthy baby girl almost a year later. I think about our unborn baby girl quite a lot and only recently was able to get rid of the early ultrasound pictures of her."

And although she had never met a child with Down syndrome, she said, "I don't know if I was a strong enough person to raise a child like that."

Parents Need Support, Feedback

Still, Laurie's daughter, who is now in kindergarten, has met a boy with Down Syndrome in her class. "It's interesting, because she has taken him completely under her wing," she said.

"It's a hard thing to talk about," Laurie said of the abortion. "It's not one of my proudest moments."

With little information at the time and a "doom and gloom" attitude, she admitted, "I had to make a decision very quickly. Had I been able to talk to someone, it could have given me a better rounded perspective."

Like Laurie, Gail Udell of Eugene, Ore., said she, too, was swept up in fear when she learned her daughter had Down syndrome the same weekend as her first wedding anniversary.

At 38, she assumed she would have a healthy baby, but when an ultrasound and blood test revealed a high likelihood of both Down syndrome and a heart defect, "the day we looked forward to was crashing around us."

She and her husband were given scant support and left alone to make their decision about undergoing more conclusive testing.

"The atmosphere in the room that day was very grim, and [there was] a sense of urgency," she said.

The heart defect didn't scare them as much as the Down diagnosis.

"We had no experience with that outside of Corky from 'Life Goes On' and the bagger at the grocery store," she said of the first television series to have a major character with Down syndrome. "We were very terrified of Down syndrome."

But now at 6, daughter Teagan is thriving in first grade and loves songs, books and horse riding, despite a language delay.

"I am a better person and a better parent," she said. "We have a ways to go yet, but like everything else, she'll get there. She is determined, fearless and happy."

Still, Udell wishes she had been given more support and positive feedback in the beginning, the kind of parental support that helped Melanie McLaughlin.

"Parents are full of questions, fear of the unknown and feeling alone," said Sarah Cullen, family support director for First Call, which takes no position on whether to terminate pregnancies.

"The most important things you can provide are accurate, up-to-date information, and what it's like to parent a kid with Down syndrome, just to have someone who walks in those same steps to listen and share their own story," Cullen said.

Nina Fuller of Newburgh, Ind., knew nothing about parenting a child with Down syndrome when she received her diagnosis.

"I presumed she would not be able to communicate, to read, to interact with the rest of our family or with the world around her," she told ABCNews.com. "I was afraid that she would intrude on the lives of her three brothers, and that our family would be home-bound and our lives as we had planned would be thrown into turmoil."

Those fears never materialized. The Fullers went on to adopt another daughter with Down syndrome, Hope.

Dr. Lewis Holmes, head of the genetics unit at MassGeneral Hospital for Children in Boston, said about 80 percent of women who learn before 24 weeks that they are carrying a child with Down syndrome choose to end the pregnancy.

Parents Decline Screening for Down Syndrome

He provides parents with resources to help them make the decision, including a call from another family who is raising a child with Down syndrome.

"Some women have an immediate response and know what they want to do; the mother and father are totally in sync, and all set to go," he said.

"But more often than not, there's a lot of soul-searching, and we try to make sure they hear both sides of the story."

But Holmes is seeing an increasing number of women who simply do not want to be screened.

"They say thanks, but no thanks," he said.

Many families who were anxious upon diagnosis say their lives have been enriched by deciding to continue the pregnancy.

Such was the case with Lisa Aguilar of Hemet, Calif., whose 7-year-old son has Down syndrome.

"I decided to keep him, no matter what," said Aguilar, a 43-year-old who is pregnant with her fourth child. "He is the happiest, kindest soul I have ever met. Daniel has taught me some valuable lessons about acceptance and love and being more compassionate."

Studies have shown that families do cope and siblings learn important lessons in patience and empathy for others.

Since the birth of Grace, McLaughlin has been inspired to work as a First Call volunteer and help other parents facing a Down diagnosis.

"It was my lifeline to hope," she said. "These were not horrible stories of what they endured, but really wonderful, enlightening stories, so different from the information that is out there.

"I love Grace and her Down syndrome and everything about her," she said. "I prided ourselves on our intellect. I had a boy and a girl and a handsome husband who is a hard worker. All that outward stuff I thought was important, but I don't find it so important today -- more that is a gift."

And while she supports women's right to choose, she worries about the dwindling number of children with Down.

"I do feel women have their own choice, but they don't realize what they have given up," she said. "What if we don't like brown eyes anymore?

What have we lost and what does Down syndrome bring to society that we lose along the way?"

For more information, go to the National Down Syndrome Society.
Copyright © 2009 ABC News Internet Ventures

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟927,129.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Very interesting. Thanks for posting this.

I have a relative who has it, and she has always been loved and cared for by the family.

But I wouldn't hold it against a family who decides they can't make the sacrifice of bringing up a Down's Syndrome child. Even with all the support available the child will have special needs and won't have the potential in life that their syblings have.

Upvote 0

sandwiches

Mas sabe el diablo por viejo que por diablo.
Jun 16, 2009
Dallas, Texas
✟22,030.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
This is a tough one. I would like to think that I could look past that and not mind if one of my children had Down Syndrome. However, the truth is that I would care very much and I would probably be one of those 90%. Primarily, for me, I don't think I could handle it psychologically and emotionally. Second, I wouldn't want my child growing up always depending on someone and never having true independence.

Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
What have we lost and what does Down syndrome bring to society that we lose along the way?

If we want to be utilitarian about this... well I don't think it is going to end pretty for those with DS.

As to being given 'the gift', my main feeling here is while we should try to cast any bad events in our life in a positive life, we should not begin to see them as desirable.

Reactions: Mystman
Upvote 0

SmileAndAHandshake

Senior Veteran
Oct 1, 2003
✟19,199.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Not sure what the topic of conversation here is.. the article? The issue?

I'd end a pregnancy in a heart-beat if the child was afflicted with down-syndrome. Of course, I'd end a pregnancy if I got pregnant at all ... it might take me two heart beats instead of one to make the decision, but it would get made.

By having a child with down-syndrome when you know that's the case, it's basically like choosing to inflict the life of an invalid on a living being. I think it's terrible. I'm glad 90% of people choose to end those pregnancies. It's the right choice to make. That whole "Gift of raising a child with DS" business is a bunch of hogwash in my book.

Whatever works for people though I guess... as long as no one tries to inflict their choices on me with stupid laws or regulations.

Upvote 0

Mystman

Atheist with a Reason
Jun 24, 2005
✟22,286.00
Faith
Atheist
Interesting post.

I'd personally abort a child with Down's Syndrome (ofcourse, I'm not a woman, so the decision isn't mine to make..).

You know in advance that your child has significantly less-than-ideal chances for happiness. Letting it be born is selfish in a way.

And the second argument (that's probably less relevant when it's your own child, but that may play a role in how doctors/the government approach the issue): you know in advance that the child is going to cost a lot of money, and produce almost nothing. Sounds pretty harsh, but with millions of people going hungry, dieing from easily preventable diseases etc, deliberatly bringing a child in the world that is not going to contribute anything is again a bit selfish.

The final choice should still be the mother's ofcourse (you really don't want a government that kills people because they aren't profitable..)

Upvote 0

Big Mouth

Forum Queen
Oct 22, 2009
Illinois
✟15,473.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Very interesting. Thanks for posting this.

I have a relative who has it, and she has always been loved and cared for by the family.

But I wouldn't hold it against a family who decides they can't make the sacrifice of bringing up a Down's Syndrome child. Even with all the support available the child will have special needs and won't have the potential in life that their syblings have.

I don't hold it against anyone either, but I would be sad for them. My cousin has DS, being in her life has been a gift.

This is a tough one. I would like to think that I could look past that and not mind if one of my children had Down Syndrome. However, the truth is that I would care very much and I would probably be one of those 90%. Primarily, for me, I don't think I could handle it psychologically and emotionally. Second, I wouldn't want my child growing up always depending on someone and never having true independence.

I know I wouldn't just because of my cousin, but I could see where someone hadn't been in contact with someone with downs then they might not know what to expect.

Just like anything, there are different degrees of severity, some people end up getting married, having careers and driving.

If we want to be utilitarian about this... well I don't think it is going to end pretty for those with DS.

As to being given 'the gift', my main feeling here is while we should try to cast any bad events in our life in a positive life, we should not begin to see them as desirable.

I think the "gift" is knowing someone so special, and the way they cut through the crap of life and show you what is important.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bro_Sam

Feb 27, 2006
✟8,312.00
Faith
Calvinist
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']
BigMouth said:
[/FONT][FONT='Verdana','sans-serif'] Down Syndrome Births Are Down in U.S.
More Than 90 Percent of Women Carrying a Child With Down Syndrome Choose to End Their Pregnancies, but Parents Raising These Kids Say They're a 'Gift'
By SUSAN DONALDSON JAMES
Nov. 2, 2009—

After prenatal testing, Boston filmmaker Melanie McLaughlin faced the likelihood that her 12-week-old fetus had Down syndrome, or a heart defect.

She prayed for the heart defect.

Grace, now 2, was born with both: trisomy 21, or Down syndrome, and holes in all four chambers of her heart, which were repaired shortly after birth.

"I fell in love with her and handed her over to the doctor for surgery not knowing if I would get her back," McLaughlin said. "I was swearing to the powers to be that I didn't mean it, I was OK with the Down syndrome."

McLaughlin said she realized what a "horrible wish" she had made for her child.

"I was so naive, with no experience with anyone with Down syndrome," she said. "I got a huge education about that later."

"An estimated 92 percent of all women who receive a prenatal diagnosis of Down syndrome choose to terminate their pregnancies, according to research reviewed by Dr. Brian Skotko, a pediatric geneticist at Children's Hospital Boston.

Birthing trends worldwide show that women are waiting longer to have children and advanced maternal age is associated with increased risk of having a child with Down syndrome…[/FONT]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']
[/FONT]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif'] [/FONT]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Tragic. If its babies with Down’s Syndrome today, I wonder who we’ll decide doesn’t deserve to live tomorrow.[/FONT]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif'] [/FONT]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']It’s just another form of eugenics, which is one of the most wicked things man has ever devised. [/FONT]

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Yes it's very, very tough. The two situations I personally knew with Down's Syndrome the end result was tragic. One was my uncle who had a severe form. Great person but could never speak and was completely dependant, died at the age of 30 from medical complications after slipping into a coma. The doctors said with his condition he outlived the expected range, and it was very hard on everyone.

The second situation was in a hospital where the parents just couldn't handle the situation any longer.

I know many times it turns out great for families. It can depend on a) severity of the down syndrom b) the parents and what's already going on in their lives (#of kids, if they both have to work a lot) and c) what the person can personally handle

*** I'm editing to add something else as a thought as well after thought. While my Uncle Joe had severe down syndrome and died at the age of 30, it may surprise some that he always seemed very close to God. They said when they went to church every weekend he would pray in his way all the time. He had this notebook that no one else could understand because the writing was all scribbled lines but he would fill up entire notebooks of this stuff. While we couldn't understand all his words or his writing, in his mind they were alive and fully functional.

I like to think that his death at 30 in regard to circumstances to come ended up being a blessing. For a year after his death his father, my grandfather, found out he had advanced prostrate cancer and passed away. My grandmother died soon after of bone cancer, also undiagnosed. My grandfather at least must have had the cancer when Joe died, but did not know it yet.

Three deaths in as little as three years. They weren't in the habit of going to the doctor and it was a small town high in the mountains of North Carolina. They were very poor and had no money set aside. If Joe had lived even a year and a half longer, he would have not had anyone to look after him. Trust me when I say the family would not have done it. This would mean a state institution, and I know that the death of his parents and all he knew and being in one of those places would have destroyed much of him.

I remember my uncle crying there was no God when Joe was dying. But I think now that we know what would have happened to him only a short time later had he lived, I try to think of it as a blessing he went when he did, and a wonderful thing that he had such a close relationship with God, even if we couldn't understand all the words of his prayers.

Last edited:
Reactions: marlowe007
Upvote 0

marlowe007

Veteran
Dec 8, 2008
✟23,651.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Downs' Syndrome is terribly sad, but is not fatal, and when parents of such children refer to them as a 'blessing', we tend to assume they're stretching themselves into pretzels trying to turn a negative into a positive. But maybe not. I don't kid myself into believing I'm God's press secretary, but I would imagine that most blessings aren't loud, splashy and lucrative, but quiet, subtle things not readily apparent to the crowd - things that become evident in private, contemplative moments. And so maybe these parents are privy to some secret reward, some inexpressible joy that the rest of us who don't walk in their shoes are denied - purely because we drew a better hand when our healthy children were born.

I feel badly for my friend because his autistic son just turned six and has yet to speak a word. And I'm sure he feels even worse for the parents of a Down's Syndrome baby, or a child with some terrible disfigurement, or a child with juvenile cancer, and thankful for his own otherwise-healthy son. So I can - with reservations - support a society that looks the other way when a parent makes a terrible decision to end that young, compromised life because to most such parents, these notions are like thoughts of suicide - they pass over us at dark moments like momentary cloud-cover, but then the skies clear. Which is to say, I don't think any but a tiny handful of parents of handicapped kids would ever do it, even if they occasionally contemplate it. And here's a news-flash that doesn't seem to be penetrating: most parents of defective children desperately love those children, and most human beings who live next door to them also develop real sympathy and fondness towards them.

I
f I'm not opposed to parents euthanising defective children (I'm not crazy about the idea, but I wouldn't be the one suffering, either) then obviously I have no objection to them aborting a child detected to be inevitably born in such a state. But remember there are crazy folks out there who put two-year-olds in convection ovens to 'exorcise demons' out of them, too. And I wonder if any children have ever been early-detected as hopelessly deformed/disabled who've defied that prognosis once they were born?

While I believe there should be enough leeway to provide that option (euthanasia or abortion) for those parents who can't financially or emotionally bear the burden, I'd like to see an attempt at placing the child with an adoptive family first before we rush right to 'murder'.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Nihilist

Contributor
Sep 14, 2006
✟16,289.00
Faith
Atheist
Tragic. If its babies with Down’s Syndrome today, I wonder who we’ll decide doesn’t deserve to live tomorrow.It’s just another form of eugenics, which is one of the most wicked things man has ever devised.

Abortion hasn't caused another Holocaust (Godwin!) yet, and I don't think this is going to change that.

The MOST wicked? It's like you've never seen any vh1 original programming

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SithDoughnut

The Agnostic, Ignostic, Apatheistic Atheist
Jan 2, 2010
The Death Starbucks
✟18,474.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
In all honesty, I think that less Down's Syndrome is a good thing, just like less any disability or illness. If less people in the world are having to endure the difficulties and suffering from Down's, then I'd say that was a good thing. Obviously I wouldn't say we should start killing or sterilising those with Down's, but as a embryo/feotus (at least for the first 20 weeks) is incapable of caring, suffering or thinking from such a decision, I don't see any issue.

The only downside I can see was highlighted in the article - the less cases there are then the less money will be devoted to research or aid, potentially giving those already alive with Down's a more difficult situation to live in.

Upvote 0
Nov 26, 2009
✟15,180.00
Faith
Atheist
When you choose to get pregnant you understand that there is a risk of genetic issues like Down Syndrome. There are plenty of healthy children that need to be adopted.
I know this logic seems too close to the "when you have sex you know there is a risk of pregnancy" argument that's used against general abortion, but I think that choosing to bring a life into the world is a little more intentional that choosing to have sex. If parents want a child to have certain characteristics, weather it be health or gender, I think that adoption is the best option for them. Getting pregnant yourself always carried the roulette of genetics.

Upvote 0