An Alabama woman was imprisoned for ‘endangering’ her fetus. She gave birth in a jail shower

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
An Alabama woman was imprisoned for ‘endangering’ her fetus. She gave birth in a jail shower
Exclusive: Ashley Caswell, one of a growing number of jailed pregnant women in Etowah county, is suing officials after she was denied care

But over the next seven months of incarceration for “chemical endangerment” [i.e. meth] in the Etowah county detention center (ECDC), Caswell was denied regular access to prenatal visits, even as officials were aware her pregnancy was high-risk due to her hypertension and abnormal pap smears, according to a lawsuit filed on Friday against the county and the sheriff’s department. She was also denied her prescribed psychiatric medication and slept on a thin mat on the concrete floor of the detention center for her entire pregnancy.

In October [2021], when her water broke and she pleaded to be taken to a hospital, her lawyer says, officials told her to “sleep it off” and “wait until Monday” to deliver – two days away.

During nearly 12 hours of labor, staff gave her only Tylenol for her pain, the suit says, allegedly telling her to “stop screaming”, to “deal with the pain” and that she was “not in full labor”. Caswell lost amniotic fluid and blood and was alone and standing up in a jail shower when she ultimately delivered her child, according to the complaint and her medical records. She nearly bled to death, her lawyers say.

After she was taken to a hospital, she was diagnosed with placental abruption, a condition in which the placenta separates from the wall of the uterus and the fetus is deprived of oxygen, meaning there was a risk of stillbirth. The baby survived, but Caswell was immediately separated from her newborn.

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Growing up in foster care. I've seen to many drug babies. That had to ween off of drugs. And have drug related issues. So, I think if a woman chooses to continue with her pregnancy. Then she has a responsibility to not danger her unborn fetus, by doing drugs. Her baby is luckily the law protected her unborn fetus, by making sure she didn't continue to drugs. But the state should have taken her to her doctor appointments. And made sure she went to the hospital sooner. No, I don't feel bad for a drug addict, that choose to put her potential baby in danger, by doing drugs. While she was pregnant.

Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟909,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Growing up in foster care. I've seen to many drug babies. That had to ween off of drugs. And have drug related issues. So, I think if a woman chooses to continue with her pregnancy. Then she has a responsibility to not danger her unborn fetus, by doing drugs. Her baby is luckily the law protected her unborn fetus, by making sure she didn't continue to drugs. But the state should have taken her to her doctor appointments. And made sure she went to the hospital sooner. No, I don't feel bad for a drug addict, that choose to put her potential baby in danger, by doing drugs. While she was pregnant.
It may not have been her choice to continue her pregnancy. Drug addiction is not just a personal failing, it is a health condition. If the states feels they need to step in to protect the fetus, then they should also provide accommodation in a medical or rehabilitation facility instead of a jail. Try to help the mother instead of punishment. One step closer to The Hand Maids tail with this incarceration and forced incubation.

“As of June 24, 2022, with the Supreme Court's overturning of Roe v. Wade, abortion in Alabama became illegal except when the life of the mother is in danger. There are not exceptions for rape or incest.[1] On August 28, 2023, attorneys for Attorney General Steve Marshall wrote in a court filing that the attorney general will prosecute those who help a pregnant person leave the state to get an abortion.[46]

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,751,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The state put the lives of the baby and mother at severe risk by denying prenatal care and failling to provide care through labor and delivery.

The staff seems to have wanted the mother to suffer and did not protect the unborn at all.
Disgusting.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

JuleW

Oct 16, 2023
Florida
✟311.00
Country
United States
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
There is no "choosing" anymore. Alabama has a total abortion ban, which prohibits abortion at all stages of pregnancy since 2022. Ala. Code § 26-23H-4.

• Informative
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0