Don't you hate it when you are at a restaurant with Christians and...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackSaab52

Nov 29, 2003
Kentucky
Visit site
✟602.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
At least in my area, it's understood that not tipping is rude. When I was still in my high school youth group, my youth pastor was telling me how mad it made his wife when she didn't get tipped, and it seemed to be worse on Sunday when Christians were eating lunch after church.

Upvote 0

12volt_man

Jan 8, 2004
✟9,150.00
Faith
Christian
Bingle said:
If I said something they'd bash my head in mate. Then again I live in Australia and we don't tip round here. Maybe they are committing cultural sin over there, interesting thought isn't it.

I know that in Ireland, where my family is from, it's not customary, either.

Here in the states, though, it's considered extremely bad form not to.

The rule of thumb is 10% before 5 PM, 15% after 5 PM. In some places now, it's gone up to 15%/20%.

Your skycap, porter (how many people even know what a porter is anymore?), or bellboy gets $1 per bag.

In some cases, it's better just to give your server or barman a couple of bucks before service.

My family used to own two restaurants, one at the Jersey shore, the other in suburban Philadelphia.

Anyone who's ever tried to schedule staff for a restaurant will tell you that it's next to impossible to get people to work on Sundays, not because they don't want to work, but because they don't want to deal with the after church crowd.

Sadly, Christians have a reputation for being demanding, rude and are notoriously terrible tippers. Even more sad, it's usually true.

The only thing worse than not leaving a tip is not leaving a tip, but remembering to leave a tract on the table.

And, by the way, servers and especially barmen, have a very good memory of who tips and who doesn't. If you don't tip, then don't expect good service next time.

Upvote 0

porcupine

Dec 5, 2003
✟1,363.00
Faith
Christian
BlackSaab52 said:
Don't you hate it when you are at a restaurant with Christians and they forget to leave a tip? This has happened to me a couple of times. Should I say something or what?

Why not simply leave a tip yourself that will cover you and them? That's what I do.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have nothing against tipping. In fact, I think it's a great thing. Most restaurant waiters/servers deserve it. However, I tend to have major problems with restaurants who have some kind of rule saying that you are required to tip.

Upvote 0

BlackSaab52

Nov 29, 2003
Kentucky
Visit site
✟602.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Why not simply leave a tip yourself that will cover you and them? That's what I do.
Actually, that's sort of what I did last time. My tip would had been equal to what it would have been if everyone left a 5-10% tip. Most the people didn't get full meals though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

porcupine

Dec 5, 2003
✟1,363.00
Faith
Christian
BlackSaab52 said:
Actually, that's sort of what I did last time. My tip would had been equal to what it would have been if everyone left a 5-10% tip. Most the people didn't get full meals though.

When I'm with other believers but I don't know their tipping (or non-tipping) practices, I will usually say something as a reminder just as we start getting ready to leave. I quietly watch to ensure the waiter is getting a good deal and try to cover any lapse. I have worked in restaurants enough to know how hard these people work and how their pay scale is poor because they are expected to get tips, so I watch out for them.

Upvote 0

BeforeThereWas

Seasoned Warrior
Mar 14, 2005
Midwest City, OK
✟10,560.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
What is really sad is that restaurants get away with paying their waiters and waitresses less than minimum wage, and justify this on the basis of tips. This is where tips are expected to make up the difference. No other industry is allowed to get away with this but restaurants. Kind of illustrates just how hypocritical our state legislatures really are.

BTW

Upvote 0

PastorJer

Senior Veteran
Jun 19, 2004
Carstairs Alberta
✟20,558.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I'm from Canada, and the same thing happens here quite often. When I was Youth Pastoring I always challenged my kids this way - remember what kind of taste you are leaving in the mouths of people - if you bow your head to pray for a meal, and then leave a lousy tip or worse no tip at all when one is culturally expected - you stand the risk of turning someone off to the gospel - and that is WAY worse than saving an extra couple of $$...

If you want a scripture reference that I would consider applicable to the whole situation read James 2:14-20... and remember - the kind of Faith that saves is a faith that acts...

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was told that in the US if you receive lousy service don't leave a tip and explain why even though it does seem to be a culturally thing to do. Of course the problem with this is what is good service? I work in retail and I expect any person in retail to do anything that I would. If they don't they are providing lousy service. My expectations are high but often if I do receive lousy service I won't complain because I know everyone has an off day and it might be that persons having a bad day

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
BeforeThereWas said:
What is really sad is that restaurants get away with paying their waiters and waitresses less than minimum wage, and justify this on the basis of tips. This is where tips are expected to make up the difference. No other industry is allowed to get away with this but restaurants. Kind of illustrates just how hypocritical our state legislatures really are.

BTW

I know I also find this to be sad. One thing I hear often about Christians and restaurants is that many times a Christian will not tip but will simply leave a Gospel tract. Personally, I think this is wrong. You should tip and leave a Gospel tract. ;) At least that's the way I'd do it. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

porcupine

Dec 5, 2003
✟1,363.00
Faith
Christian
TheDag said:
I was told that in the US if you receive lousy service don't leave a tip and explain why even though it does seem to be a culturally thing to do. Of course the problem with this is what is good service? I work in retail and I expect any person in retail to do anything that I would. If they don't they are providing lousy service. My expectations are high but often if I do receive lousy service I won't complain because I know everyone has an off day and it might be that persons having a bad day

I tip the same for any service (20%). If I really see the waiter having a tough day and doing well under or gives exemplary service under normal conditions it I add to that amd comment. I will leave a tract in these cases if I have one handy. If a waiter is deliberately bad, I will leave a penny -- that way the waiter knows I didn't forget or I am nos just a non-tipper. (BTW, I have only needed to do this once in my life.)

Upvote 0

heartnsoul

Don't settle for less than God's best!
Nov 3, 2004
in the palm of God's hand
✟11,936.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think it may be helpful to remember that God sees all. Those who are frugal with their gifts will be held accountable to God one day just like all of us will be held accountable. Not tipping is no different than any other offensive thing that people do to each other everyday. The key is to not let other's poor actions drag your own spirits down. There is nothing that Satan would love more is to see everyone get upset over someone else's sin. Live your life how you think is the "right" way to live and leave the rest up to God. Those people who are not tipping are missing out on some wonderful blessings that could be given by God to them. If you think of it that way, you'll have more compassion for them and less judgment.

God is in control of everything. The waiter/waitress that wasn't tipped may also reap something good from not getting a tip. The waiter/waitress will learn humility and how to deal with ungrateful people...and heaven knows there are alot of ungrateful people out there. So there still could be some "good" that comes out of a bad action.

You can't control what other people do...BUT like others have said, you can always give heavily to that waiter/waitress to compensate for what others didn't give. My advice is not to say anything to those Christians. It's not your place to correct them. Their frugalness is between them & God. Let God deal with their attitudes. We all have our own attitudes that need improvement. Would we appreciate someone else correcting us? Probably not. Criticism has never been music to anybody's ear, true? ;)

Anyway, you have a good heart. Your heart is definitely in the right place. This world could definitely use more generous people like you!!:) I'm just starting to learn and practice being more generous at this point in my life. Maybe I should take lessons from you. God bless you.:angel:

Upvote 0

ZACTAK

Contributor
Feb 12, 2005
Missouri
✟16,157.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
My friends and I forgot to tip our waitress one time. We were 5 minutes away from the restaurant when we realized it and we turned around, went back in and gave her a tip.

One of my roommates doesn't tip when he gets bad service and it annoys me, especially since he used to be a waiter himself. I personally will tip around 9-10% for bad service, but I am a good tipper if I get good service.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.