Don't you hate it when you are at a restaurant with Christians and...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZACTAK

Contributor
Feb 12, 2005
Missouri
✟16,157.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
porcupine said:
I tip the same for any service (20%). If I really see the waiter having a tough day and doing well under or gives exemplary service under normal conditions it I add to that amd comment. I will leave a tract in these cases if I have one handy. If a waiter is deliberately bad, I will leave a penny -- that way the waiter knows I didn't forget or I am nos just a non-tipper. (BTW, I have only needed to do this once in my life.)

This is just a question out of curiousity, but do you carry a penny around with you at all times just incase that happens?

Upvote 0

BarbB

I stand with my brothers and sisters in Israel!
Aug 6, 2003
NJ summers; FL winters
✟25,548.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
NFSteelers said:
This is just a question out of curiousity, but do you carry a penny around with you at all times just incase that happens?

I have pounds of pennies in the bottom of my purse - they're yours if you want! :D

Upvote 0

constance

The littlest billy goat gruff
Apr 3, 2005
Indiana
✟29,764.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Christians are notoriously cheap patrons & waitstaff argue over who WON'T have to wait on us.

For the US: Depending on the state law, some wait staff only make $2.50 an hour. If you can't afford to leave a tip, don't eat in a sit-down restaurant. Period.

You should not leave less than $1 tip per person (if you're having a cheap meal like breakfast) and otherwise you should tip at least 15% for good service. an easy way to figure 15% is to divide the total bill (before tax) by seven.

If your friends forget to tip, pay the tip. Take it up with them later, it is the honorable thing to do.

Constance

Upvote 0

dia_liom

Senior Contributor
Jan 30, 2005
Kansas
✟20,043.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Even though I never worked as a server, I spent over 3 years as 'Pizza Man', delivering pizza. After working there, I almost always tip at least 15%, usually 20 when at a 'sit down' restaurant, and tip the pizza delivery driver $1.

It is a sad witness when Christians are poor tippers, and have that kind of reputation.

Upvote 0

Ceccia

Nov 10, 2004
✟15,407.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I *always* leave at LEAST 15%, because I am on the waitress side of things. Even if the waiter/waitress is rude, slow, mixes up orders, etc. it doesn't matter. I remember the one time I ever called out sick, at the time I had had mono for a month and wasn't even supposed to be working at all, but I couldn't afford not to. On that paticular day I had already passed out twice at home, but when I tried to call out, I was told that they had a "new policy" of firing anyone who called out sick. (I suspect it was because the week before, one girl called out and said she had food poisoning, and another coworker saw her at a club. Anyway...I was forced to work a double shift, with no meal break, no sitting down, with mono, so dizzy I could barely walk straight..I'm sure the people I wated on thought I was a grouchy, incompetant slob. But it just goes to show, you have no IDEA why your waiter might not be performing up to your exact standards on any particular day.

I feel badly for people who have to, for whatever reason, take such jobs. I know I hate it.

Upvote 0

Velcro

Mar 6, 2005
West Coast
✟986.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I think a lot of poeple won't tip in common restaurants because they think the restaurant ought to take the responsibility to pay a decent wage. However, we have gotten so used to the present price of food in the common restaurants that I doubt people would go out to eat very much, if restaurants raised their prices in order to cover for the waitpersons' decent wage.

So we who eat in common restaurants choose whether or not the waitpersons are worthy of their hire, because each time we sit at their table, we are hiring them. I think we need to realize that and act accordingly.

I have never waited tables, but if I did and got a tract with no tip or with a meager tip, would I read that tract? NO way! I would assume the tract is worth about as much as your tip -- zilch.

Writing merely from the idea of what we represent as believers, I believe that:
  • if we drive up to the restaurant in a car with a religious bumper sticker
  • if we pray before or after eating
  • if we are wearing religious jewelry
  • if we talk at all about G-d while at the table (and the wise ones have said that it is a shame to sit and eat without speaking of the One who provided)
  • ior if we want, in all of our walk of life, to be perceived as believers
we had best represent Him when we sit at that table and hire the waitperson to serve us.

I really believe that those believers who cannot afford to tip generously should not eat at a restaurant where tipping is expected. I also believe that they could do better in this area if they got a job for a month as a waitperson, to see why.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

theywhosowintears

Jan 9, 2005
Outback, Australia
✟983.00
Faith
Pentecostal
BlackSaab52 said:
Don't you hate it when you are at a restaurant with Christians and they forget to leave a tip? This has happened to me a couple of times. Should I say something or what?
''

Hmmm interesting... I never forget to leave tips... I just never tip.
In civilised countries we have figured out a taxation and wage system that means we don't have to leave tips, and the waitress still gets paid properly...

although I would tip if I was in the US.

Upvote 0

porcupine

Dec 5, 2003
✟1,363.00
Faith
Christian
theywhosowintears said:
''

In civilised countries we have figured out a taxation and wage system that means we don't have to leave tips, and the waitress still gets paid properly...

"In civilised countries we . . ." This is terribly arrogant and xenophobic. Historically, different cultures think themselves superior (more "civilised") just because they have differences. The Chinese though Euopeans to be virtual animals because they didn't bathe, while they were leaving unwanted children out for the animals to eat. It is all a matter of perspective, my friend. (BTW, we in the US at least know how to correctly spell "civilized." -- JOKE!)

Upvote 0

artybloke

Mar 1, 2004
North of England
✟8,017.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Politics
UK-Labour
theywhosowintears said:
''

Avoid South Africa then. All the waiters there have to depend on tips. The hotels often don't pay 'em. And the porters at the airport too; give 'em five rand and they're happy.

Upvote 0

GrinningDwarf

Just a humble servant
Mar 30, 2005
✟19,311.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
heartnsoul said:
My advice is not to say anything to those Christians. It's not your place to correct them. Their frugalness is between them & God. Let God deal with their attitudes. We all have our own attitudes that need improvement. Would we appreciate someone else correcting us? Probably not. Criticism has never been music to anybody's ear, true? ;)

But if we don't say anything, how do we know the others are even aware they've done anything inappropriate? I think just mentioning the ideas behind leaving a tip shouldn't be considered 'criticising'. Now, if you mention it every time, and make a point to mention it loudly, I thin you might have a point!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Marissa

Feb 15, 2004
✟16,448.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm absolutely shocked to read that christians in the US regularly leave tracks instead of tips.

I'm Australian and I know that waitstaff in the US depend on tips to even get to minimum wage.

If I was going to give a tract I'd make sure I gave an extra large tip, just so I stand out and they read it.

Upvote 0

progressivegal

Jan 3, 2005
✟16,438.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
It bothers me when ANYONE forgets to tip, regardless of religious belief. eople depend on those tips because as someone already mentioned, they are not paid a proper wage by their employers because they figure they'll earni t in tips. I think a simple, "dude, aren't you going to leave a tip?" or should sufice, or as another poster already mentioned, you can just leave their tip yourself if you have the means to do it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.