Visit site
✟84,192.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
灶君 is the standard kitchen god in Daism. Even if you don't see an altar in the restaurant eating area, often there is an idol in the kitchen. Some cooks swear by it.

Does it bother me?

No. I eat in Chinese restaurants and thank God for it. My brother-in-law is a Chinese cook and not a Christian. If it bothers your conscience, then don't do it.

I also worked in Saudi Arabia for a few years. Allah does not bother my conscience either.

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,458.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
灶君 is the standard kitchen god in Daism. Even if you don't see an altar in the restaurant eating area, often there is an idol in the kitchen. Some cooks swear by it.

Does it bother me?

No. I eat in Chinese restaurants and thank God for it. My brother-in-law is a Chinese cook and not a Christian. If it bothers your conscience, then don't do it.

I also worked in Saudi Arabia for a few years. Allah does not bother my conscience either.
If a weaker brethren doesn't tell me that I am eating something offered to an idol, then there is no hindrance in my eating it. But if a brother who is weaker in their faith tells me because he is troubled in his conscience, then it is an act of love for that brother that I refrain from ordering and to choose another restaurant where my brother's conscience isn't bothered. But if I ignore him and he joins me in the meal then he is sinning against his own conscience which leads him into trouble with God. Both us us would then need to repent - him for sinning when his conscience knows it is wrong, and me for being unloving to by brother in Christ.

• Useful
Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0