• Total voters

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If there was anything that could demonstrate that white privilege exists in the U.S., last week's storming of the Capitol Building was it.
How does that equate to White privilege? Are you assuming there were only white people in the crowd?

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
How does that equate to White privilege? Are you assuming there were only white people in the crowd?
Only? No. The vast majority that I saw looked pretty white though.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ashli Babbitt's death was a negation of the concept of white privilege...

...how many BLM rioters have ever been shot dead by the police?

How many BLM rioters tried climbing through a window to get into a hallway where persons protected by Capitol Police and the Secret Service were located?

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The vast majority of BLM protesters rioting in Seattle and Portland looked pretty white also.
Not exactly a relevant comparison, since the riot last week did not happen in Portland or Seattle.

A more apt comparison would be the BLM protests in DC over the summer. Which were significantly less white. Same place, same organizations in charge. VERY different response. Now, you could argue that the backlash over the summer protests perhaps made law enforcement a bit wary of over-responding. But when you've got the FBI sending out warnings of potential violence, you'd think that they'd have had more personnel at least in place and ready to go, even if they weren't immediately visible.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Not exactly a relevant comparison, since the riot last week did not happen in Portland or Seattle.

A more apt comparison would be the BLM protests in DC over the summer. Which were significantly less white. Same place, same organizations in charge. VERY different response. Now, you could argue that the backlash over the summer protests perhaps made law enforcement a bit wary of over-responding. But when you've got the FBI sending out warnings of potential violence, you'd think that they'd have had more personnel at least in place and ready to go, even if they weren't immediately visible.
Over the Summer there were riots in cities all over the country every day so when they went to DC of course they were ready for them. We haven't had riots for months now so evidently they weren't prepared, and by the time the police got ready, the rioters quit rioting.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,528.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Ashli Babbitt's death was a negation of the concept of white privilege...

...how many BLM rioters have ever been shot dead by the police?

Last I checked BLM exist because of black men being shot dead by the police.

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
How many BLM rioters tried climbing through a window to get into a hallway where persons protected by Capitol Police and the Secret Service were located?

BLM have done far worse, but they do to ordinary people rather than the privileged - so the police and even the National Guard are told to stand down...

Last I checked BLM exist because of black men being shot dead by the police.

Last time I checked George Zimmerman was not a police officer - and that doesn't really answer my question anyway...

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,528.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
BLM have done far worse, but they do to ordinary people rather than the privileged - so the police and even the National Guard are told to stand down...

Last time I checked George Zimmerman was not a police officer - and that doesn't really answer my question anyway...

Only one black man shot in the recent past is there?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Over the Summer there were riots in cities all over the country every day so when they went to DC of course they were ready for them. We haven't had riots for months now so evidently they weren't prepared, and by the time the police got ready, the rioters quit rioting.
Sure, I'm not arguing that the police didn't have reason to be prepared for trouble over the summer. Some previous protests had gotten violent, so it was reasonable to be prepared for that eventuality. Just as it would have been reasonable to be prepared for violence when the FBI warned them days in advance that there were violent extremists coming to town. The only thing that I object to from the summer protests was the actions that those prepared forces took.

Personally, I don't know that I'd call it white privilege precisely (I wasn't the one who made the original post you responded to) since the lack of response was likely influenced, at least in part, by the over-reaction to the summer protests, but it certainly looks like it to the casual observer. Capitol police and other federal agencies brutally crush a generally peaceful - and significantly black - protest and have ranks of National Guard lining the Capitol steps in preparation for non-existent attacks. Then Capitol police have only a light response to a majority white protest that turns violent and eventually results in the storming of the Capitol itself - despite several days notice of potential violence.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Sure, I'm not arguing that the police didn't have reason to be prepared for trouble over the summer. Some previous protests had gotten violent, so it was reasonable to be prepared for that eventuality. Just as it would have been reasonable to be prepared for violence when the FBI warned them days in advance that there were violent extremists coming to town. The only thing that I object to from the summer protests was the actions that those prepared forces took.

Personally, I don't know that I'd call it white privilege precisely (I wasn't the one who made the original post you responded to) since the lack of response was likely influenced, at least in part, by the over-reaction to the summer protests, but it certainly looks like it to the casual observer. Capitol police and other federal agencies brutally crush a generally peaceful - and significantly black - protest and have ranks of National Guard lining the Capitol steps in preparation for non-existent attacks. Then Capitol police have only a light response to a majority white protest that turns violent and eventually results in the storming of the Capitol itself - despite several days notice of potential violence.
You have to ask yourself; during the summer of 2020, how many BLM protests became violent? (countless times all over the country, all night long) Prior to the DC riot, many of Trump speeches turn violent? (none) I find it perfectly reasonable for them to assume the BLM protests that had a history of violent riots would be something to get prepared for, and the Trump speeches which had never turned violent to be something they would be caught off guard the one time it did turn violent. Then once it turned violent, by the time the police got prepared, they had entered the building and they quit rioting and left without incident. I don't think the two can be compared

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If there was anything that could demonstrate that white privilege exists in the U.S., last week's storming of the Capitol Building was it.

If one was to say that the response to the Capital Hill riot show that there is Leftist privilege I could understand where one could connect the dots. I can't see how a rights wing riot being crushed fairly quickly by the authorities demonstrates that here is white privilege. Wouldn't it be much more logical to say that authorities refraining from interfering in left wing riots demonstrates left wing ather than privilege? As both the left and right wing groups that participated in rioting were people of diverse hues it makes zero sense to conclude anything about any color privilege from any of these riots.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Why?

When police used tear gas, rubber bullets, and pepper spray on unruly protesters....they were heavily criticized and condemned by many Democrat politicians and left wing media.

Now those same Democrat politicians and liberal media sources are upset that the police didn't use enough force.

If so many people on the left weren't constantly telling the police how to do their job....you might have a point. As it stands, the police clearly don't know if they'll be blamed for using a completely reasonable amount of force.

You can't demand the police use less force then complain about the police using less force.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Does white privilege exist? Yes;
I agree. The statistics I have seen say that white males with similar education and experience as their minority counterparts on average get paid more and have more opportunity for advancement.

It's not because all or even most white people are racist. People just feel comfortable working with people they can relate to.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Why?

When police used tear gas, rubber bullets, and pepper spray on unruly protesters....they were heavily criticized and condemned by many Democrat politicians and left wing media.

Now those same Democrat politicians and liberal media sources are upset that the police didn't use enough force.

If so many people on the left weren't constantly telling the police how to do their job....you might have a point. As it stands, the police clearly don't know if they'll be blamed for using a completely reasonable amount of force.

You can't demand the police use less force then complain about the police using less force.

Do think a so-called "BLM" protest could forcefully enter the capital of the United States and occupy it?

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Do think a so-called "BLM" protest could forcefully enter the capital of the United States and occupy it?

Are you upset that Trump supporters could enter the Capitol and BLM activists couldn’t? Protest envy - is that what this is?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Are you upset that Trump supporters could enter the Capitol and BLM activists couldn’t? Protest envy - is that what this is?
BLM’s aims aren’t to overthrow the duly elected officials but to get them to listen.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

They forcefully entered police stations and in some cases....burned them down. I don't see why they couldn't have done the same thing at the Capitol.

If you're looking for privilege though....we have a clear example right here in the thread.

If a white protester complained about their treatment at the hands of the police...do you think any liberals would care?

How about if a black protester complained about their treatment at the hands of the police? Obviously their complaints will not only get listened to...people will start to seriously scrutinize the police.

In fact, black people get to complain about the way they think white people are treated by police and it's taken seriously. This thread is proof of that.

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
BLM’s aims aren’t to overthrow the duly elected officials but to get them to listen.

Rturner can answer for himself...

Getting elected officials to listen was precisely the purpose of disrupting Congress - when you stop Congress from operating, even briefly, they have to listen.

BLM, on the other hand, just attacks ordinary Americans and their property. They are not dissidents, they are shock troops of the deep state, which is why police are so reluctant to use force against them...

If leftists really believed half of what what they say about America being so racist, sexist, homophobic and just generally oppressive, you’d think that the storming of the Capitol would be an event they would welcome. That they don’t suggests that they’re just trying to use guilt to manipulate people.

Upvote 0