Does this ever happen to anyone else?

Ramona

If you can't see my siggy, I've disappeared ;)
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2006
Visit site
✟55,932.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
I find myself remembering all the words to some pretty dated, insignificant songs that I didn't even like. It drives me (and everyone else) nuts!

The other day, I was talking to my other half who was laughing about how horrendous Sisqo, the one-hit wonder who gave us "Thong Song" was. All of a sudden I just busted out the entire first verse and chorus (which is pretty much the whole song). He laughed at me. "How do you remember such terrible songs so well?"

At the New Year's Eve party, my mom and I discovered that we still remember all the lyrics to "I Want it That Way" by the Backstreet Boys. I hated that song, it was painfully bad, but I could sing you the entire thing if you asked me to.

Now, I can't remember the lyrics to 90s music that I actually liked...

Does this happen to anyone else, and with which songs?

Cheers,
Hallie

IndomitableAmy

Mar 22, 2008
✟8,552.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Sometimes.. though I couldn't tell you which songs. (And just as well, because if I could, then it would be likely to provoke the thing you're talking about.)

Why it happens? Maybe it's because you think the songs are so bad that whenever you hear them, each note, each word is its own distinct element of annoyance.. so in a few forced listenings, each one is burned into your memory. Or not. Just a thought.

Upvote 0

geekgirlkelli

I'm the girl your mother warned you about.
Nov 7, 2007
✟16,328.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
As I have worked in the radio industry my entire career since I was 16, there are countless songs I have been subjected to over the years that sometimes come to mind and I can't get them out of my head. Just A Friend by Biz Markie is one that comes to mind right now. Ugh! Off-key, stupid lyrics... Terrible, just AWFUL!

A newer one? Beautiful Girl by Sean Kingston. Bleh! I guess it's my age, but suffice to say I could find much better things to feel suicidal over than being in love with someone who is 'out of my league' so to speak. The song is just plain dumb. And I know this sounds prejudiced, but his Jamaican accent is annoying. No offense to Jamaicans.

Upvote 0