Does the recently confirmed existence of UfO's pose a threat to Christianity?

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟268,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, there are things there which we don't know about, and I don't mean extraterrestrial aliens by that. But species we had never known about still get discovered and they were there in their place all along, and there are different things in places none of us have reached yet. Things out in space have yet to be discovered. Humans did not know about dark matter which is so much of the universe until recent times. We just don't know what the things we don't know about are yet, and there are things left that we will never come to know about. None of that yet impacts Christian faith I have I have with biblical basis. It does not inform me to know everything.

• Love
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟268,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We still don't "know" dark matter. Still just a theory. No body is doing science these days... they are just building sandcastles upon sandcastles.

Do you doubt there is gravity? Maybe you were thinking of dark energy that is an extension built on extension from theory. There wasn't claim to know what dark matter is, though I imagine pretty well what explains it well, it is recognition of what was not known before, most mass of the universe is not the matter that can be seen in any way, which wasn't known before, and gravity that is understood and mathematics that works for gravity show there is more, that more being known as dark matter. It is known now to be there without claim that we know what dark matter is consisting of.

I don't favor denialism for my faith.

Upvote 0

dwb001

Balaam's Donkey
Aug 26, 2023
New Brunswick
✟10,589.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Do you doubt there is gravity? Maybe you were thinking of dark energy that is an extension built on extension from theory. There wasn't claim to know what dark matter is, though I imagine pretty well what explains it well, it is recognition of what was not known before, most mass of the universe is not the matter that can be seen in any way, which wasn't known before, and gravity that is understood and mathematics that works for gravity show there is more, that more being known as dark matter. It is known now to be there without claim that we know what dark matter is consisting of.

I don't favor denialism for my faith.
Nobody knows what gravity is. We can describe how it acts but we don't know what it is.

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟268,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nobody knows what gravity is. We can describe how it acts but we don't know what it is.

It is known as a force that we can use mathematics for what it corresponds to, that works enough for that. I will not argue about buoyancy explaining it well enough. This isn't the place for that, or the conspiracy claims that go with it.

Upvote 0

dwb001

Balaam's Donkey
Aug 26, 2023
New Brunswick
✟10,589.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
It is known as a force that we can use mathematics for what it corresponds to, that works enough for that. I will not argue about buoyancy explaining it well enough. This isn't the place for that, or the conspiracy claims that go with it.
You still haven't explained what gravity is. We can map gravity but have no idea what it actually is.

Science is built now days of presuppositions upon presuppositions.

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟268,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks. There are other threads to which dubious assertions can be taken, to not disrupt a topic. Denialism still is an issue that needs attention somewhere.

may I take it, then, that you believe that bouyancy, or the lack thereof, is the reason things sit on the ground? If so, could you explain how that works? Or is it easier to simply tell people who find the idea unsupportable to go away?

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟268,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
may I take it, then, that you believe that bouyancy, or the lack thereof, is the reason things sit on the ground? If so, could you explain how that works? Or is it easier to simply tell people who find the idea unsupportable to go away?

What is your position? I was responding to someone else, who is critical about any reference to gravity, who I see post elsewhere, and recognize that questioning of gravity as the tactic flat earthers have in their communication, and they like to explain phenomena with buoyancy. That certainly is still occurring with gravity. So it has nothing to do with what I say, when I refer to denialism. What is your position?

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What is your position?

Gravity. The theory is sound, demonstrable, and if someone manages it, falsifiable. "Bouyancy" lacks any off those qualities.
they like to explain phenomena with buoyancy. That certainly is still occurring with gravity.
Hardly comparable. There's a huge amount of study gone into the nature of gravity, its effects, its limitations, adalmost infinitum. "Bouyancy" is simply a term flatties use to "explain" the effects of gravity because it's the best they can conjure up.

So it has nothing to do with what I say, when I refer to denialism.
"Denialism",in your usage, would include the refusal to believe that the moon is made of green cheeseor that whales speak French at the bottom of the sea.
What is your position?
Gravity is the glue that God uses to hold the uninverse together.

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟268,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Gravity. The theory is sound, demonstrable, and if someone manages it, falsifiable. "Bouyancy" lacks any off those qualities.

Hardly comparable. There's a huge amount of study gone into the nature of gravity, its effects, its limitations, adalmost infinitum. "Bouyancy" is simply a term flatties use to "explain" the effects of gravity because it's the best they can conjure up.

"Denialism",in your usage, would include the refusal to believe that the moon is made of green cheeseor that whales speak French at the bottom of the sea.

Gravity is the glue that God uses to hold the uninverse together.

Yes, it is my understanding. I was not the one critical of gravity, which flat earthers are, and it had me curious about why you responded to me rather than the one I responded to, who was being critical of gravity being understandable. They use buoyancy to explain what gravity explains, of course it is not comparable. Buoyancy only works in fluids because of gravity that separates what is in fluids by weight, without gravity any fluid would just dissipate. Their position is what I referred to as denialism, such as denial of gravity. Yet you were just responding to me about denialism, which is what the one I responded to is using. And regardless of your explanation that denying anything is denialism, there is baseless denial of what others have found to be the case, that really is the issue. Know-nothings can abound again but that does not better this world.

Upvote 0