Does the bible ever declare that being black is a curse from God??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,276,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Back in 1970 we moved back to Utah while I was in the forth grade. Now mind you I am half latino and half caucasian and was always taught to treat all people the same. I noticed Carla (the only black kid in our class) usually played in the sand box by her self and I figured what the heck I like playing in the sand box let's go see how this goes. Well it didn't take long to see Carla was a nice person so I started making it a habit to go out to the sand box at recess. It wasn't too long that a group of kids pulled me a side and said "ooooo you like Carla!!! They were trying to use peer pressure to get me to stop hanging around with her. Keep in mind easily 90% of the kids in my class at that time were LDS. And you know what? Those kids weren't born thinking that way.

Upvote 0

joneysd

Apr 29, 2013
✟3,162.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Back in 1970 we moved back to Utah while I was in the forth grade. Now mind you I am half latino and half caucasian and was always taught to treat all people the same. I noticed Carla (the only black kid in our class) usually played in the sand box by her self and I figured what the heck I like playing in the sand box let's go see how this goes. Well it didn't take long to see Carla was a nice person so I started making it a habit to go out to the sand box at recess. It wasn't too long that a group of kids pulled me a side and said "ooooo you like Carla!!! They were trying to use peer pressure to get me to stop hanging around with her. Keep in mind easily 90% of the kids in my class at that time were LDS. And you know what? Those kids weren't born thinking that way.

It is hard to imagine any religion would still teach hate, God is just Love.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟81,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
It is hard to imagine any religion would still teach hate, God is just Love.

All the years that I was LDS no one talked about black people, so I wouldn't say that the church leaders were teaching hate. But I knew that white females couldn't marry black men because they couldn't hold the priesthood.

Upvote 0

RevelationTestament

Our God is a consuming fire.
Apr 26, 2013
United States
✟19,404.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
It is true that people in Utah appeared to have held on to racist attitudes longer than the rest of the Church, but I know that in Utah couples have adopted African children, and as far as I can see they are treated like everyone else. If there was racism, it seems to have disappeared. You are to be commended for setting a good example.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Ham had sexual relations with his mother (see Lev18)
it is the "son" of that relationship that Noah cursed.
neither the mother (Noah's wife) or the father (Ham) of Canaan (the incest conceived child) were cursed by NOAH

24 And Noah awoke from his wine, and knew what his younger son had done unto him.
25 And he said, Cursed be Canaan; a servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren.
26 And he said, Blessed be the Lord God of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant.
27 God shall enlarge Japheth, and he shall dwell in the tents of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant.

Oh, boy--nowhere is there mentioned anything about Noah's wife having an incestuous relationship with her son!! The last part of Genesis 9 talks about Noah getting drunk and Ham seeing his nakedness, and when Ham told his brothers, they walked in backwards and covered him up. That's it. There is no possible way to infer that there was mother/son incest from Ham's brothers walki9ng backwards to cover up the drunken old man!! Anything else is speculation at best. Before the flood, and after, brothers and sisters married to get the population going, but they had no diseases and stuff to hand down to their offspring. Abraham was married to his half-sister. It wasn't until later that incest was off limits due to the health issues that inbreeding caused.

Upvote 0

RevelationTestament

Our God is a consuming fire.
Apr 26, 2013
United States
✟19,404.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Oh, boy--nowhere is there mentioned anything about Noah's wife having an incestuous relationship with her son!! The last part of Genesis 9 talks about Noah getting drunk and Ham seeing his nakedness, and when Ham told his brothers, they walked in backwards and covered him up. That's it. There is no possible way to infer that there was mother/son incest from Ham's brothers walking backwards to cover up the drunken old man!! Anything else is speculation at best. Before the flood, and after, brothers and sisters married to get the population going, but they had no diseases and stuff to hand down to their offspring. Abraham was married to his half-sister. It wasn't until later that incest was off limits due to the health issues that inbreeding caused.

I have read Bible critics who stated that Abraham lied to the Egyptians about Sarai being his sister, and mocking the Bible for making Abraham an example. But as you point out, she was indeed his half sister, Gen 20, so he didn't lie. It seems there is no shortage of critics who do not know their Bible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

whitebeaches

Legend
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2007
✟144,700.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Mod Hat On
1784842-857949-woman-s-summer-red-straw-hat-sea-shells-and-modern-sunglasses-isolated-on-white-background.jpg

This thread is being closed due to the violation of the Flame Rule: ● Do not insult, belittle, mock, goad, personally attack, threaten, harass, or use derogatory nicknames in reference to other members or groups of members. Address the context of the post, not the poster.

There were way too many flames for a clean up. Please remember the board rules when posting and please do not flame. Thank you and may you have a nice day.
Mod Hat Off

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.