Does the bible ever declare that being black is a curse from God??

Status
Not open for further replies.

motherprayer

Elisha
Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
✟19,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
amen !!!!:clap::thumbsup:

Yea, kind of a pet peeve of mine. Sets me off because this inaccurate mentality was used to commit one of the largest and most long-running crimes against humanity in the history of the world. Kidnapping, slavery, then segregation. All "in the name of the Lord." That WASN'T meant to be.

In Biblical days, there were basically two "classes." Israelites, who were God's chosen people, and Gentiles, who were everyone else. But Christ cancelled all that out, rendering everyone equal in the eyes of the Lord.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,436.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was told it does and I cannot find the scripture to support it...

The reason you can't find it is because it's not there.

The fact that supposedly Christian people in 2013 continue to perpetuate that lie on the Holy Spirit depresses me about the state of the Church in America. Is not as though we don't have bibles enough and all of us time enough to read them.

Because the Holy Spirit is the author of scripture, to lie so blatantly about His work is blasphemy against Him.

Upvote 0

motherprayer

Elisha
Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
✟19,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The reason you can't find it is because it's not there.

The fact that supposedly Christian people in 2013 continue to perpetuate that lie on the Holy Spirit depresses me about the state of the Church in America. Is not as though we don't have bibles enough and all of us time enough to read them.

Because the Holy Spirit is the author of scripture, to lie so blatantly about His work is blasphemy against Him.

Absolutely true! Amen!

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,436.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yea, kind of a pet peeve of mine. Sets me off because this inaccurate mentality was used to commit one of the largest and most long-running crimes against humanity in the history of the world. Kidnapping, slavery, then segregation. All "in the name of the Lord." That WASN'T meant to be.

In Biblical days, there were basically two "classes." Israelites, who were God's chosen people, and Gentiles, who were everyone else. But Christ cancelled all that out, rendering everyone equal in the eyes of the Lord.

You might want to read this: Thomas Paine: African Slavery In America. Note that this was written in 1774.

Most shocking of all is alledging the sacred scriptures to favour this wicked practice. One would have thought none but infidel cavillers would endeavour to make them appear contrary to the plain dictates of natural light, and the conscience, in a matter of common Justice and Humanity; which they cannot be. Such worthy men, as referred to before, judged otherways; Mr. Baxter declared, the Slave-Traders should be called Devils, rather than Christians; and that it is a heinous crime to buy them. But some say, "the practice was permitted to the Jews." To which may be replied,

1. The example of the Jews, in many things, may not be imitated by us; they had not only orders to cut off several nations altogether, but if they were obliged to war with others, and conquered them, to cut off every male; they were suffered to use polygamy and divorces, and other things utterly unlawful to us under clearer light.

2. The plea is, in a great measure, false; they had no permission to catch and enslave people who never injured them.

3. Such arguments ill become us, since the time of reformation came, under Gospel light. All distinctions of nations and privileges of one above others, are ceased; Christians are taught to account all men their neighbours; and love their neighbours as themselves; and do to all men as they would be done by; to do good to all men; and Man-stealing is ranked with enormous crimes. Is the barbarous enslaving our inoffensive neighbours, and treating them like wild beasts subdued by force, reconcilable with the Divine precepts! Is this doing to them as we would desire they should do to us? If they could carry off and enslave some thousands of us, would we think it just? — One would almost wish they could for once; it might convince more than reason, or the Bible.

As much in vain, perhaps, will they search ancient history for examples of the modern Slave-Trade. Too many nations enslaved the prisoners they took in war. But to go to nations with whom there is no war, who have no way provoked, without farther design of conquest, purely to catch inoffensive people, like wild beasts, for slaves, is an height of outrage against humanity and justice, that seems left by heathen nations to be practised by pretended Christian. How shameful are all attempts to colour and excuse it!

Upvote 0
E

Eric Hibbert

amen !!!!:clap::thumbsup:

Don't amen just yet. While the Bible does talk about racism, this isn't an example. God punished her for not listening to His prophets, not for racism. Remember, the text says that both she and Aaron spoke against her and yet, Aaron wasn't punished.

Anyway, in answer to your question, it's not from the Bible. It's from the Book of Mormon.

Upvote 0

peebly63

Mar 21, 2013
✟1,639.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Don't amen just yet. While the Bible does talk about racism, this isn't an example. God punished her for not listening to His prophets, not for racism. Remember, the text says that both she and Aaron spoke against her and yet, Aaron wasn't punished.

Anyway, in answer to your question, it's not from the Bible. It's from the Book of Mormon.

oh right thanks for your answer ...:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

motherprayer

Elisha
Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
✟19,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

They spoke against his marriage to an Ethiopian woman:
Numbers 12:1 And Miriam and Aaron spake against Moses because of the Ethiopian woman whom he had married: for he had married an Ethiopian woman.

Aaron was only kept from punishment because he admitted his foolishness:
Numbers 12:11 And Aaron said unto Moses, Alas, my lord, I beseech thee, lay not the sin upon us, wherein we have done foolishly, and wherein we have sinned.

And Miriam was healed because of Aaron's admission:
Num 12:13 And Moses cried unto the LORD, saying, Heal her now, O God, I beseech thee. 12:14 And the LORD said unto Moses, If her father had but spit in her face, should she not be ashamed seven days? let her be shut out from the camp seven days, and after that let her be received in again.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I was told it does and I cannot find the scripture to support it...

There is none--some people can go on and on about how the Canaanites were cursed by God, because they sprang from Noah's son Ham, who saw his nakedness. And Noah said "Cursed be Canaan,a servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren." And that the curse was they were made black---only problem is--the bible never says that! It does say what area the Canaanites
covered after the flood-Gen 10:11 (and the names of the peoples that came out of Canaan in the verses prior to that) and Sodom and Gomorrha were cities mentioned--not in Africa. The Canaanites was the people that had the land that God later gave to the Jews. There is no biblical basis for racism.
And in the Song of Solomon, are several verses about her being black. And I know that this is all supposed to be about the love between God and His people/church--I've just never seen a church with breasts! And if it is about God and His people, and she is black--all the more reason to not be racist!!

Upvote 0

Soulgazer

Christian Gnostic
Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
✟19,403.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Phantasman

May 12, 2012
Tennessee
✟34,626.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I have heard it many times in OT theology. Tower of Babel, Noahs son, Land of Nod, etc. Wisdom from Christ would dictate that we are all physical vessels of a spirit from God. I don't believe the spirit changes from black or white, male or female, Jew or Gentile, etc. We are told to love each other, and when someone puts physical limits on spiritual wisdoms, they are being drawn into ignorance of love.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
so any scripture to support the idea that being black was a curse...

Not a one.

Personally, I believe Adam and Eve were created with the DNA to produce all the colors we are, and that Noah's family continued to carry those. After the tower of Babel, I think God divided the languages by people with similar appearances, which became more emphasized when they settled into different areas. Of course--I have absolutely no biblical prove for this--it's just my own theory, just seems to make more sense that way to me.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,042.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Does the bible ever declare that being black is a curse from God??

Why not ask that question to at least ten black person living in the roughest neighborhood you can find, face to face then tell us how it went?

If only one person can go to heaven, I'd wish he/she would be black. They've had enough of persecution from this world already. As Lazarus, they need to be comforted and their wounds tended...

Btw, I'm not black but I speak for them as the Bible says we must stand for the cause of the oppressed, the orphans, widows, and guess what? Colored people constitute the majority of these.

I'm saying this to you for I believe your question can be quite insulting to them. Like I said, go ask them that personally, face to face especially those who are in distress and see how it goes.

Upvote 0

peebly63

Mar 21, 2013
✟1,639.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why not ask that question to at least ten black person living in the roughest neighborhood you can find, face to face then tell us how it went?

If only one person can go to heaven, I'd wish he/she would be black. They've had enough of persecution from this world already. As Lazarus, they need to be comforted and their wounds tended...

Btw, I'm not black but I speak for them as the Bible says we must stand for the cause of the oppressed, the orphans, widows, and guess what? Colored people constitute the majority of these.

I'm saying this to you for I believe your question can be quite insulting to them. Like I said, go ask them that personally, face to face especially those who are in distress and see how it goes.

that's a really good idea, though I would hate to offend them because I believe we are all God's people and i personally find they idea that any Christian would think God could love someone less just because of the colour of their skin totally disgusting and a terrible misrepresentation of the totality of God's love for us all...

Upvote 0

motherprayer

Elisha
Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
✟19,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I don't know that it is insulting. My pastor is "black" and he has dealt with this particular misconception from the pulpit several times.

Sadly, there was a time when many believed this was truth, not just Mormons, but Christians as well. It is good to clear up such a misunderstanding because, even sadder, there are STILL some who believe this misconception, and will use Scripture to perpetuate it, although it is not Scriptural.

I believe it is profitable to deal with "hard" issues. Why not bring the Truth to light, just to offer a chance for those in error to come to the Light?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.