Does the bible ever declare that being black is a curse from God??

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It doesn't get any clearer with explanations--Blacks who were not of the negro race could hold the priesthood--How can you be black and not of the negro race????--Which means no negro could be a priest.

There are races that are black as the negro race who were not under the ban. Example as I have posted before are the aborigines

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
There are races that are black as the negro race who were not under the ban. Example as I have posted before are the aborigines

OK--pardon my thick headedness--but Negro isn't a race--it's Spanish for black, a color, that's where the word came from. Which maybe why I'm having a hard time understanding this, as I am spanish and we would describe anyone who's got dark skin as Negro, in fact, you can be white and still be called negro--it's often used as a term of endearment for kids--my mother would call me "negrita"--little black girl--I am very light skinned, with hazel eyes. So do you mean the ban was for those who were black skinned and from African lineage??? It would be darn near impossible to trace anyone's lineage to Cain--that was pre-flood, and I'm sure all records were pretty well demolished. We all come from Adam and Eve, anyway.
Not trying to be contrary, just don't get it, but I'm not Mormon so I guess don't have to get it, but my step-daughter is one and I just wanted to get a clearer view about her faith.

Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
OK--pardon my thick headedness--but Negro isn't a race--it's Spanish for black, a color, that's where the word came from. Which maybe why I'm having a hard time understanding this, as I am spanish and we would describe anyone who's got dark skin as Negro, in fact, you can be white and still be called negro--it's often used as a term of endearment for kids--my mother would call me "negrita"--little black girl--I am very light skinned, with hazel eyes. So do you mean the ban was for those who were black skinned and from African lineage??? It would be darn near impossible to trace anyone's lineage to Cain--that was pre-flood, and I'm sure all records were pretty well demolished. We all come from Adam and Eve, anyway.
Not trying to be contrary, just don't get it, but I'm not Mormon so I guess don't have to get it, but my step-daughter is one and I just wanted to get a clearer view about her faith.

Boy I did not think this was going to be so hard to explain. There are those with black skin who are not of the lineage of Cain. Cain's blood line came through the flood because Ham married woman with that lineage. There are people who populate this earth who are black but do not come from the lineage of Cain which originated from Africa

Upvote 0

RevelationTestament

Our God is a consuming fire.
Apr 26, 2013
United States
✟19,404.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Blacks may be here to see if we consider our neighbor based on physical appearances over spiritual truth. "Love your neighbor as yourself" and "love your enemy" seems to place restrictions on the mindset of the ignorant.

Which LDS don't. All races have always been allowed membership, and to meet with everyone else in our sanctuaries - unlike many protestants who now point fingers at us as racist, when their fathers forbade African Americans in their meeting houses. The only issue is whether blacks could hold the priesthood - and they have been able to for decades now. It wasn't a racist or segregationist thing - if so we would not have allowed black members. We have had black members since the time of Joseph Smith, and thus black Africans have never been denied salvation. The last is not necessarily the worst.
Matt 19:30 But many that are first shall be last; and the last shall be first.
Don't be too surprised if Cushites of color come to be judges over Gentiles in the regeneration.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Phantasman

May 12, 2012
Tennessee
✟34,626.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Which LDS don't. All races have always been allowed membership, and to meet with everyone else in our sanctuaries - unlike many protestants who now point fingers at us as racist, when their fathers forbade African Americans in their meeting houses. The only issue is whether blacks could hold the priesthood - and they have been able to for decades now. It wasn't a racist or segregationist thing - if so we would not have allowed black members. We have had black members since the time of Joseph Smith, and thus black Africans have never been denied salvation. The last is not necessarily the worst.
Matt 19:30 But many that are first shall be last; and the last shall be first.
Don't be too surprised if Cushites of color come to be judges over Gentiles in the regeneration.

To say "blacks" weren't allowed in the priesthood, than to claim it wasn't "racist"? It was because they were black. That's racist. But it's no different than saying the wisdom of God came for the Jews (and not Gentiles). That's racist as well. (The true)God is not racist.

Upvote 0

RevelationTestament

Apr 26, 2013
United States
✟19,404.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said the Father sent him only to the Jews. You are saying that is racist?

was God racist against these ethnic groups:
Deut 23:3 An Ammonite or Moabite shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD; even to their tenth generation shall they not enter into the congregation of the LORD for ever:

Upvote 0

Phantasman

May 12, 2012
Tennessee
✟34,626.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said the Father sent him only to the Jews. You are saying that is racist?

was God racist against these ethnic groups:
Deut 23:3 An Ammonite or Moabite shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD; even to their tenth generation shall they not enter into the congregation of the LORD for ever:

THAT God............Yes.

Upvote 0

RevelationTestament

Apr 26, 2013
United States
✟19,404.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Why did God choose the Hebrews to first give the gospel to? Was He racist against the Gentile heathens?

Deut 7:7 יהוה did not set his love upon you, nor choose you, because ye were more in number than any people; for ye were the fewest of all people:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Phantasman

May 12, 2012
Tennessee
✟34,626.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Why did God choose the Hebrews to first give the gospel to? Was He racist against the Gentile heathens?

Deut 7:7 יהוה did not set his love upon you, nor choose you, because ye were more in number than any people; for ye were the fewest of all people:

He started with the Jews because they had the "law". They were organized to believe already. They were waiting for him. The Gentiles weren't.

When he was caught teaching even the Gentiles, the Pharisee's asked why he was with the "sinners", in which he replied "Do those that are healthy need a doctor?"

Upvote 0

RevelationTestament

Apr 26, 2013
United States
✟19,404.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
He started with the Jews because they had the "law". They were organized to believe already. They were waiting for him. The Gentiles weren't.

When he was caught teaching even the Gentiles, the Pharisee's asked why he was with the "sinners", in which he replied "Do those that are healthy need a doctor?"
He actually didn't start with the Jews. I proffer that He started with His people because they were elohim as He says. Ps 82.
If they had the law, it was because He gave it to them so this is circular reasoning.

Upvote 0

Phantasman

May 12, 2012
Tennessee
✟34,626.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
He actually didn't start with the Jews. I proffer that He started with His people because they were elohim as He says. Ps 82.
If they had the law, it was because He gave it to them so this is circular reasoning.

I don't let the Old Testament explain or define the wisdom Jesus brought from the true Father. When I want an answer of what Jesus said, I don't confer with the OT as well. Jesus said when I see him, I see the Father. I just can't deny that and go looking in the OT for him.

Upvote 0

RevelationTestament

Apr 26, 2013
United States
✟19,404.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
I don't let the Old Testament explain or define the wisdom Jesus brought from the true Father. When I want an answer of what Jesus said, I don't confer with the OT as well. Jesus said when I see him, I see the Father. I just can't deny that and go looking in the OT for him.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but I will say that Jesus also quoted from Ps 82 here:
John 10:34 Yahushua answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are elohim?
John 10:35 If he called them elohim, unto whom the word of יהוה came, and the scripture cannot be broken;
John 10:36 Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of Elohim?

Upvote 0

Phantasman

May 12, 2012
Tennessee
✟34,626.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure what you mean by this, but I will say that Jesus also quoted from Ps 82 here:
John 10:34 Yahushua answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are elohim?
John 10:35 If he called them elohim, unto whom the word of יהוה came, and the scripture cannot be broken;
John 10:36 Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of Elohim?

That says nothing other than what they were believing. Christs attempt to make them see the truth failed.

Many in the OT were attempting to follow God (the Father) with what little they knew. When the truth finally came, they didn't have enough to truly identify him (plus being led by ignorant high priests). When they would question Jesus, he knew exactly how to respond to ponder thought without coming out and saying "you are not following the right path".

Once Christ died, I refuse to go back looking for that path. It's mute.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RevelationTestament

Apr 26, 2013
United States
✟19,404.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
That says nothing other than what they were believing. Christs attempt to make them see the truth failed.

Many in the OT were attempting to follow God (the Father) with what little they knew. When the truth finally came, they didn't have enough to truly identify him (plus being led by ignorant high priests). When they would question Jesus, he knew exactly how to respond to ponder thought without coming out and saying "you are not following the right path".
Hey, we agree on something!!

Once Christ died, I refuse to go back looking for that path. It's mute.
I think it is quite relevant to future Hebrews. It is quite relevant to me understanding God.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

God started with the Jews because God created the nation of Israel for one specific purpose. God didn't just find a particular nation or race and decide they were suitable--He created His own nation.

As for me, behold, my covenant is with thee, and thou shalt be a father of many nations. Neither shall thy name any more be called Abram, but thy name shall be Abraham; for a father of many nations have I made thee. And I will make thee exceeding fruitful, and I will make nations of thee, and kings shall come out of thee. Genesis 17:4-6

God took one particular man and from that one man created an entire nation for the singular purpose of being the lineage from which He would bring the savior of all nations.

Very critical in understanding this is John 12:20-24:

And there were certain Greeks among them that came up to worship at the feast: The same came therefore to Philip, which was of Bethsaida of Galilee, and desired him, saying, "Sir, we would see Jesus."

Philip cometh and telleth Andrew: and again Andrew and Philip tell Jesus.

And Jesus answered them, saying, The hour is come, that the Son of man should be glorified. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.

If you investigate the Greek terms, you quickly see that the "Greeks" spoken of here are actual Greeks, not Hellenist Jews--real pagan Greeks. At this point in time, the world is desiring to see Jesus.

What is Jesus' response to the world desiring to see Him? It seems as though this moment is a trigger event, a sign, a signal to Jesus of what must happen next: It's His time to be glorified, His time to die so as to spread out farther than He can as He is then.

Jesus had a specific role to fill, and it was time for Him to go to the final step before the plan of salvation could go further.

Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

Of sin, because they believe not on me;

Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;

Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.

I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

It is the role of the Holy Spirit to lead the gospel out beyond the race that God created as the "womb" of salvation. Carrying the gospel to the world was not Jesus' part in God's plan of salvation.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

RevelationTestament

Apr 26, 2013
United States
✟19,404.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
God started with the Jews because God created the nation of Israel for one specific purpose. God didn't just find a particular nation or race and decide they were suitable--He created His own nation.

As for me, behold, my covenant is with thee, and thou shalt be a father of many nations. Neither shall thy name any more be called Abram, but thy name shall be Abraham; for a father of many nations have I made thee. And I will make thee exceeding fruitful, and I will make nations of thee, and kings shall come out of thee. Genesis 17:4-6

God took one particular man and from that one man created an entire nation for the singular purpose of being the lineage from which He would bring the savior of all nations.
Doesn't your assertion violate the law that God is no respecter of persons? ie He doesn't favor anyone over anyone else? ie it would seem a violation to create certain persons solely to receive the law and to be judges over others.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.