Does sola scriptura make the bible a new member of the trinity?

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I was having a discussion, and the way it seems difficult to impossible to separate a person's bible interpretation from what is Godly posed the question to me:

So it might make for good discussion.

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good Day,

IOW - No

But they are functionally related

Athanasius

"It is plain then from the above that the Scriptures declare the Son's eternity; it is equally plain from what follows that the Arian phrases 'He was not,' and 'before' and 'when,' are in the same Scriptures predicated of creatures." (Four Discourses Against the Arians, 1:4:13)

"Vainly then do they run about with the pretext that they have demanded Councils for the faith's sake; for divine Scripture is sufficient above all things; but if a Council be needed on the point, there are the proceedings of the Fathers, for the Nicene Bishops did not neglect this matter, but stated the doctrines so exactly, that persons reading their words honestly, cannot but be reminded by them of the religion towards Christ announced in divine Scripture" (De Synodis, 6)

In Him,

Bill

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was having a discussion, and the way it seems difficult to impossible to separate a person's bible interpretation from what is Godly posed the question to me:

The Bible presents the basic revelation of ... and context for ... the Trinity ...

Upvote 0

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The way some go about it and their preferred translations, you'd think it was a part of the trinity...
Agreed the KJV only fanatics worship that translation more than they do the Creator.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Or rather, the Trinity is found in scripture.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

It seems an absurd proposition. Considering the Bible to be revelation and therefore trustworthy is the equivalent of believing in a fourth person of the Trinity??????? There's no similarity or real connection.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The way some go about it and their preferred translations, you'd think it was a part of the trinity...
That would mean, then, that the question posed by the original post is not to be taken literally. It was just a colorful turn of phrase. (?)

And it certainly doesn't belong in the "Controversial Christian theology" forum because it isn't Christian theology and there is no controversy surrounding it.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

No. I believe 1 John 5:7 KJB is in reference to the Living Word (Jesus) and not the Communicated Word. The Trinity is that the Lord our God is one God, and yet He exists as three persons: God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

The KJB uses the word “Godhead” for what we would call “Trinity.”
This word is used three times in the King James Bible.

Granted, that said, Sola Scriptura (Bible Alone) is implied in the Bible.

A Biblical Defense of Sola Scriptura!

Does that mean we make Scripture like a god over God? Well, we have to understand that Scripture is merely the expressed mind and thoughts of God. In God's Word (Scripture): God tells us stories, and He gives us truths, and commands to lead us to having a relationship with Him and in deepening that relationship. So those who reject the Word of God and those who de-emphasize the Word of God in some way are only attacking the faith and or the expressed mind of God. Yes, God is a spirit being, but He also communicated His mind or thoughts to us with His Word. Faith comes by hearing, and hearing the Word of God (Romans 10:17). So we cannot have faith or be saved without the Word of God.

Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No. I believe 1 John 5:7 KJB is in reference to the Living Word (Jesus) and not the Communicated Word. The Trinity is that the Lord our God is one God, and yet He exists as three persons: God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

Does that mean we make Scripture like a god over God? Well, we have to understand that Scripture is merely the expressed mind and thoughts of God. In God's Word (Scripture): God tells us stories, and He gives us truths, and commands to lead us to having a relationship with Him and in deepening that relationship. So those who reject the Word of God and those who de-emphasize the Word of God in some way are only attacking the faith and or the expressed mind of God. Yes, God is a spirit being, but He also communicated His mind or thoughts to us with His Word. Faith comes by hearing, and hearing the Word of God (Romans 10:17). So we cannot have faith or be saved without the Word of God.

Yes, the Word is the communicated Word of God...but it is not God. Just like me, typing out this response, while they are my words, these words are not me as a person

• Winner
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟128,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, and I don't understand how anyone could reasonably think it does. Sola scriptura is a question of authority, a statement that God has chosen to provide His self-revelation in its pages alone and that what we believe ultimately must come from its pages. Perhaps because Scripture is a part of how we have relationship, communing with the Holy Spirit as we explore its riches? Scripture is a tool, and the only tool God has provided for understanding Him and His ways.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, the Word is the communicated Word of God...but it is not God. Just like me, typing out this response, while they are my words, these words are not me as a person

But again, words are an expression of our mind and thoughts of who we are unless you believe you are writing without a mind or your fingers are ghost writing without you. Our mind is a part of WHO we are. Words express our mind. Folks want to lobomotize God by saying that His Word is not attached to WHO He is. But the Bible is just the expressed thoughts and mind of God.

Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
But again, words are an expression of our mind and thoughts of who we are unless you believe you are writing without a mind or your fingers are ghost writing without you. Our mind is a part of WHO we are. Words express our mind. Folks want to lobomotize God by saying that His Word is not attached to WHO He is. But the Bible is just the expressed thoughts and mind of God.

I agree, but the Bible, itself, is still not God. While it should be revered and placed on a pedestal of sorts as it were, it still shouldn't be worshipped and placed onto equal footing with God as being made part of the trinity.

• Agree
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
It seems an absurd proposition. Considering the Bible to be revelation and therefore trustworthy is the equivalent of believing in a fourth person of the Trinity??????? There's no similarity or real connection.

I didn't mention this in the OP, but since you brought it up - the Veneration of Mary is misinterpreted as the Deification of Mary by others. So it's (the deification of the bible) basically the same thing.

it certainly doesn't belong in the "Controversial Christian theology" forum because it isn't Christian theology and there is no controversy surrounding it.

It does belong, it is a Christian theology because Christian theologians in post reformation traditions have a difficult time separating their interpretation, and what God is actually saying as two separate things.

It's a controversy, because it's difficult for people who are doing it to admit it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

However, at the same time - saying God can only say words in said book means that you are telling God what to do and say which is kind of cheeky.

Upvote 0