✟15,776.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes, otherwise one is a Messianic Gentile, and there is nothing wrong with
that. Some people seem to feel "slighted" if they are involved in the Messianic movement but aren't Jewish themselves.

Is that true? Messianic Jews are Gentiles?

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Is that true? Messianic Jews are Gentiles?
No, if one is born a Jew (ie, born to a Jewish mother) then they retain
their status as a Jew no matter what religion they follow.
If one's mother was not a Jew, they are a gentile follower of the Messianic faith.

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Messianic Jewish Christian
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No, if one is born a Jew (ie, born to a Jewish mother) then they retain
their status as a Jew no matter what religion they follow.
If one's mother was not a Jew, they are a gentile follower of the Messianic faith.

Isn't it interesting how often we have to re-state the same things around here? "Who is a Jew?" "what is a Messianic?" "What laws do I keep to make God happy with me?"

No wonder attendance is low! LOL :D

Upvote 0

Jew-Man

May 23, 2010
Thornton, Colorado
✟7,680.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I consider myself to be Jewish and both of my family lines have Jewish heritage in them. I decided to honor my ancestors and G-d and become a Messianic follower in Yeshua Ha'Mashiach even though my parents are silly Goyim (I love them anyway!).

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Messianic Jewish Christian
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I consider myself to be Jewish and both of my family lines have Jewish heritage in them. I decided to honor my ancestors and G-d and become a Messianic follower in Yeshua Ha'Mashiach even though my parents are silly Goyim (I love them anyway!).

I understand your comments. We are merely stating that from an orthodox Jewish perspective, one must have a Jewish mother to be Jewish.

I don't think it is polite to call others "silly goyim", because the nations have done amazing things! They ain't silly... :)

Reactions: ChavaK
Upvote 0

Jew-Man

May 23, 2010
Thornton, Colorado
✟7,680.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I understand your comments. We are merely stating that from an orthodox Jewish perspective, one must have a Jewish mother to be Jewish.

I don't think it is polite to call others "silly goyim", because the nations have done amazing things! They ain't silly... :)

Agreed... next time, I'll use more discretion. :)

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
:thumbsup:
Other than I am totally confused about how a Jew could come from
gentiles, we should definitely remember that fifth commandment...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MESSIANIC114

Dec 2, 2009
✟7,653.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
You cannot change your race, and since Messianics don't consider race an issue (what is important is your relationship to G-d ie are you a son or daughter of the Most High) I would be focusing on that aspect. Remember Yeshua came to create one new man. There is no longer Jew or greek.

Upvote 0

rubygirl

Nov 19, 2010
✟7,619.00
Faith
Judaism
banished,

thats not necessarily true...you could if you do an Orthodox conversion. If you are converted by Orthodox Rabbi, you are officially a Jew, same as any other. You could live in and even marry in Israel.
Orthodox Judaism has the final say in Israel, and they dont consider a reform conversion as real, bc reform Judaism doesnt teach that Halacha is binding

so bottom line is to be Jewish, you either need a Jewish parents (acutally even if just your mother is Jewish, you are considered a Jew no matter what) OR an orthodox conversion

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
banished,

you could if you do an Orthodox conversion. If you are converted by Orthodox Rabbi, you are officially a Jew, same as any other.
But a conversion is not possible, since she still accepts Jesus
as messiah.
And not all Orthodox conversions are considered valid. I've seen plenty
that are not, and it's a big issue in Israel.

so bottom line is to be Jewish, you either need a Jewish parents (acutally even if just your mother is Jewish, you are considered a Jew no matter what) OR an orthodox conversion
Yep, Jewish mother or valid Orthodox conversion.

Upvote 0

BereanStudent

Dec 21, 2010
Canada
✟7,740.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
1. In order to be a "Jew" You have to be descendant from Jacob's son JUDAH, period.

According to The Bible , This descendent of the tribe of Benjamin was a Jew.

Est 2:5
Now in Shushan the palace there was a certain Jew, whose name was Mordecai, the son of Jair, the son of Shimei, the son of Kish, a Benjamite;

Also , Paul who was of the tribe of Benjamin considered himself a Jew

Act 21:39
But Paul said, I am a man which am a Jew of Tarsus, a city in Cilicia, a citizen of no mean city: and, I beseech thee, suffer me to speak unto the people.

Act 22:3
I am verily a man which am a Jew, born in Tarsus, a city in Cilicia, yet brought up in this city at the feet of Gamaliel, and taught according to the perfect manner of the law of the fathers, and was zealous toward God, as ye all are this day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BereanStudent

Dec 21, 2010
Canada
✟7,740.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
This verse also debunks the myth that a Jew who believes in Jesus is no longer Jewish. According to the Apostle Paul , as recorded in scripture here , he was still a jew.

Act 22:3
I am verily a man which am a Jew, born in Tarsus, a city in Cilicia, yet brought up in this city at the feet of Gamaliel, and taught according to the perfect manner of the law of the fathers, and was zealous toward God, as ye all are this day.

Also , The Gospel was for the Jews and not a seperate religion for the gentiles.

Rom 1:16
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BereanStudent

Dec 21, 2010
Canada
✟7,740.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Another thing...

Rom 2:25 For circumcision verily profiteth, if thou keep the law: but if thou be a breaker of the law, thy circumcision is made uncircumcision.
Rom 2:26 Therefore if the uncircumcision keep the righteousness of the law, shall not his uncircumcision be counted for circumcision?
Rom 2:27 And shall not uncircumcision which is by nature, if it fulfil the law, judge thee, who by the letter and circumcision dost transgress the law?
Rom 2:28 For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh:
Rom 2:29 But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

Being a Jew is more than just who your parents are. It is a covenant of circumcision.

Reactions: psalms 91
Upvote 0

Missingno

Mar 16, 2011
USA
✟15,168.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Depends on your denomination. Orthodoxy requires a mother's bloodline, reform will take father as well. I think inheriting Abraham's faith makes you as much of a Jew as those who inherit his blood. That is my opinion though.

For right of return they DO except proselytes HOWEVER it depends on your rabbi. There was a complaint from US orthodox jews that Israel would not recognize their converts (like Matisyahu if you ever listen to him) Sometimes Ethiopian Jews are discriminated against but you can undergo a conversion IN Israel and they almost certainly will except you.

There is nothing in a conversion that should make you any less Christian so it should be fine for you to do it. Many Jewish congregations are so desperate for members they will accept almost anyone. Even Hindu Jews in New York (is that possible to be both Hindu and Jew?)

Upvote 0

xDenax

Jewish
Jul 20, 2009
United States
✟13,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Depends on your denomination. Orthodoxy requires a mother's bloodline, reform will take father as well. I think inheriting Abraham's faith makes you as much of a Jew as those who inherit his blood. That is my opinion though.

This was a really old post but anyway...

The OP asked about being a Messianic so they have their own thoughts on the topic outside of the Orthodox, Conservative, Reform standard.

The Reform movement requires the child to be raised in Judaism. If one is a Christian with a Jewish father, they are not considered a Jew even by the Reform movement.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2011
✟15,189.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Banish'd

No, your mother does not have to be Jewish in order for you to be considered a Messianic Jew. If you are wondering if you can be considered of the Jewish race, at least one of your biological parents would need to be Jewish.

Back to Messianic Judaism, both Jew and Gentile worship together. If it is important to you to embrace Messianic Judaism through conversion, you will want to speak with a Messianic Rabbi.

This link is a directory of Messianic Congregations in the US. IAMCS | Directory of International Messianic Congregations and Synagogues

If you don't have a messianic place of worship.
Blessings

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Banish'd

No, your mother does not have to be Jewish in order for you to be considered a Messianic Jew.
There seems to be some disagreement about "who is a Jew" among Messiancs. Some will say your mother must be Jewish for you to be Jewish
If you are wondering if you can be considered of the Jewish race, at least one of your biological parents would need to be Jewish.
Just to clarify, there is no "Jewish race".
Back to Messianic Judaism, both Jew and Gentile worship together.
This is true.
:wave:

Upvote 0