Does Jesus know your name?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the Gospel of John, Jesus makes an interesting statement. In John 10:3, Jesus says "To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out.". Again in John 10:27, Jesus says "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me".

Jesus says that he knows his own sheep by name. When applied to other scriptures this becomes an interesting thought. We know that Jesus being God knows the name of everyone. However, are there times that Jesus does not acknowledge knowing someone? This is the danger that the unbelievers face both in this life and afterwards.

We find in Rev. 17:8 that all the names of the elect are written in the Lambs book of life written before the foundation of the world. "The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is." Jesus knows all that will come to his voice and follow him.

We find in scripture many times where the name of a person is left out. For one example, the name of the pharaoh of the book of Exodus is never really given. Scholars have spent countless hours trying to put the puzzle together to find the name. Another example occurs in the story of Lazarus and the certain rich man. If this is a parable, it is the only one in which we find a name. I believe the disciples knew exactly who Jesus was talking about.

Again in the book of Matthew we find another occurrence where the names of sinners is not recognized. In Math. 7:21-23 we find "Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

Doesn’t Jesus know who these people were. Sure he does. However, there names are not important for us to know and neither are they important enough to enhance the Gospel. Psalms 16:4 says "Their sorrows shall be multiplied that hasten after another god: their drink offerings of blood will I not offer, nor take up their names into my lips." So these unknown people go to the grave without the acknowledgment of the Lord. This should be a scary thought to the unbeliever however they have no fear of the Lord. The unbeliever knows that everyone with a few exceptions will enter the Kingdom of Heaven.

In Zechariah chapter 3 we find a scene very similar to the one in the Book of Job. The high priest Joshua is standing before the Angel of the Lord. Satan is standing at his right side accusing Joshua. The Lord immediately rebukes Satan and has the priestly garments put on Joshua.

We another find another example in Luke 22: 31-32 where Satan wants to destroy Peter. "And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat: 32 But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren." Once again the Lord stands up for his own. Even though Peter will go on to deny the Lord he will become a mighty witness for the Kingdom of God.

Paul wrote in Romans 8:33-34 "Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth. 34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us." This is exactly what Jesus does for the elect. Satan cannot bring any charge against those covered by the blood of the Lord.

The unbeliever is left filthy before the Lord and without protection. Jesus will not even acknowlege the name of the unbeliever. Satan will be able to bring any charge against him without rebuke and even unloosed to destroy his life. Satan always has limits put on him by God but we can see his work in the lives of the unbelievers today. With all the wars, murders, disease, and other abominations taking place, it is easy to see that Satan is very busy sifting the human race. Although Jesus never promised us a life without peril, we have an eternal advocate for us that knows our names and has dressed us in the garments of the high priest. "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son,and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen."

Suzannah

A sinner
Nov 17, 2003
✟15,824.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Yes, He knows my name or else I would be an atheist by now. I am such a terrible sinner and He has called me back to the Truth time and again. If we ever needed an example of "faithfulness", it is Jesus. Jesus is truly faithful. It is we who often move far from Him, yet He always calls us back.
:)

Upvote 0

Suzannah

A sinner
Nov 17, 2003
✟15,824.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'm sorry for misunderstanding! :) A Very interesting question indeed!

Well, let us look then toward the Holy Scripture. It often speaks of Jesus as One with/of the Trinity. He was therefore, with the Father, at the beginning of all time, and had knowledge of the original Creation. We must therefore conclude, that since He, (Jesus) has the same Omniscience as the Father, we must also acknowledge His supremacy in and of the Universe. I don't know what tradtional teaching would be as to your question, but my personal guess would be that yes, He knows the names of the "lost" and still does not recognize them as His sheep, but rather the "goats" spoken of in Scripture.

Very good question! I'm happy you asked it!

Upvote 0
Believes Gods Sovereignity said:
Im asking if he knows the name of those who arent saved, that was the main point of the Post. I wasnt saying that from a christians POV, but from a lost persons POV. Wether Christ knows them or not.
I guess, further, does he know (have a relationship) with those that arent saved. "depart from me, for i knew you not."

Upvote 0

Suzannah

A sinner
Nov 17, 2003
✟15,824.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I guess, further, does he know (have a relationship) with those that arent saved. "depart from me, for i knew you not."
Well, I think that you and I are in agreement that Scripture is infallible. Therefore, the words of Jesus are without error. So i must believe that He means what He says. However, when He says "I knew you not", I don't think He means, "You did not have a personal relationship with Me." but rather more generally that "You did not seek Me, you, knowing WHO I AM, did not recongize Me, and more, you did not accept the Truth of Me, in its totality."

That's kind of how I see it....what are your thoughts?

Upvote 0

Benedicta00

Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟40,563.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Im asking if he knows the name of those who arent saved, that was the main point of the Post. I wasnt saying that from a christians POV, but from a lost persons POV. Wether Christ knows them or not.

Yes, He is God and God is all knowing. God created the lost, they were made by His hands, how would He not know them?

Upvote 0

Benedicta00

Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟40,563.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

In this verse He is referring to Christians who he is saying he knows not. He knows them not because they do not keep His commandments.

I do not see how this means that there are lost souls who God never even bothers with.

Christians not keeping the commandments kind of tells us that we as Christians have the freedom to walk away if we want and if we do unto death, and still cry ‘lord, lord’ He will say depart from me, I never knew you.

Upvote 0

Ecclesia Reformata

Relentlessly Reforming
Mar 3, 2004
College Station, Texas
Visit site
✟175.00
Faith
Protestant

You are mixing two different meanings of the word "know". Christ, in saying that, means in it as in Salvation. He knows us because He chose us. We love Him because He first loved us.

Of course Christ (being in One in the Trinity) knows everyone, as He is God and God is all-knowing. I mean, surely he knew Adolf Hitler. Did he know him in the salvific sense? Surely not.

Upvote 0

Ecclesia Reformata

Relentlessly Reforming
Mar 3, 2004
College Station, Texas
Visit site
✟175.00
Faith
Protestant
Shelb5 said:
In this verse He is referring to Christians who he is saying he knows not. He knows them not because they do not keep His commandments.

Not at all. If you define Christian as a regenerate person, then He is most certainly not. If you were to define Christian as any member of the Church, regenerate or not, that would be a wrong definition as the Church was not around then. Christ was clearly speaking to those who were unregenerate. Nobody, apart from Christ's atonement, is able to keep the law. Romans is very clear about the purpose of the law is to reveal out inadaquecy to keep it. Christ atoned for our sins, so in the sight of God, we have kept the law perfectly, through Christ. Christ is speaking to a unregenerate in this passage, not a Christian.

Shelb5 said:
I do not see how this means that there are lost souls who God never even bothers with.

Christians not keeping the commandments kind of tells us that we as Christians have the freedom to walk away if we want and if we do unto death, and still cry ‘lord, lord’ He will say depart from me, I never knew you.

Again, He would say 'depart from me for I never knew you' because we were never regenerate in the first place.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Ecclesia Reformata said:
Not at all. If you define Christian as a regenerate person, then He is most certainly not. If you were to define Christian as any member of the Church, regenerate or not, that would be a wrong definition as the Church was not around then. Christ was clearly speaking to those who were unregenerate. Nobody, apart from Christ's atonement, is able to keep the law. Romans is very clear about the purpose of the law is to reveal out inadaquecy to keep it. Christ atoned for our sins, so in the sight of God, we have kept the law perfectly, through Christ. Christ is speaking to a unregenerate in this passage, not a Christian.

Again, He would say 'depart from me for I never knew you' because we were never regenerate in the first place.
Could not have said it better myself, thanks for the help.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.