Does God disprove video games?

S

SavedByGrace86

Driving a car no more glorifies God than does playing Super Mario Bros. Does that make either wrong? No.

Agreed. But should I not take that scripture literally? It was saying "whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God".

To me it sounds like everything we do should be to the glory of God. So yes when I drive, it should be for the glory of God. Yes, when playing Super Mario Bros it should be for the glory of God. In the way I drive, and in the way I play, I should strive to do it for the glory of God.

Not all things are beneficial though. If I am constantly doing things that are not beneficial then thats no bueno.

Second, if somone is stumbling because someone else is playing a video game, they have a very weak spirituality and need to temper that in their own lives. If we lived our lives out of fear of "never offending" ignorant, misinformed believers, we could not do anything in life without offending someone out there.

When I read this, these are the thoughts I was thinking:
The focus should not be on ourselves. The thinking should not be "What I have to give up" or "I can't do this because someone is very weak spirituality" it should be "What we gain for Christ by yielding to my brother".

Read the passage below please, emphasis are in bold.

Romans 14:13-23

13 Therefore let us not pass judgment on one another any longer, but rather decide never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of a brother. 14 I know and am persuaded in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself, but it is unclean for anyone who thinks it unclean. 15 For if your brother is grieved by what you eat, you are no longer walking in love. By what you eat, do not destroy the one for whom Christ died. 16 So do not let what you regard as good be spoken of as evil. 17 For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking but of righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. 18 Whoever thus serves Christ is acceptable to God and approved by men. 19 So then let us pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding.

20 Do not, for the sake of food, destroy the work of God. Everything is indeed clean, but it is wrong for anyone to make another stumble by what he eats. 21 It is good not to eat meat or drink wine or do anything that causes your brother to stumble. [3] 22 The faith that you have, keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the one who has no reason to pass judgment on himself for what he approves. 23 But whoever has doubts is condemned if he eats, because the eating is not from faith. For whatever does not proceed from faith is sin. [4]"

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I grew up with video games, even worked for video game companies. I have never felt that God disapproved of video games per say. However, there are some games which are just completely morally bankrupt. I feel that God disapproves of those games where the whole thing is just a giant sin fest. I also don't think He approves of games that contain a lot of graphic violence, for the sake of it. At least that's the way I feel. Doesn't mean you're sinning by playing them, but I don't think anyone who really loves God could enjoy killing and destroying so much, even if its virtual.

I play video games sometimes to let go of reality, cause sometimes things are rough and its my escape... I play first person shooting games, does god think its ok? I wonder, but I would never kill anyone in real life

Upvote 0

SullivanZ

Seeking His Face
Mar 6, 2011
✟16,142.00
Faith
Christian
I grew up with video games, even worked for video game companies. I have never felt that God disapproved of video games per say. However, there are some games which are just completely morally bankrupt. I feel that God disapproves of those games where the whole thing is just a giant sin fest. I also don't think He approves of games that contain a lot of graphic violence, for the sake of it. At least that's the way I feel. Doesn't mean you're sinning by playing them, but I don't think anyone who really loves God could enjoy killing and destroying so much, even if its virtual.

You're entitled to feel that way, but based off the Bible, God is entirely not against killing or violence. The entire Old Testament is filled with such gruesome imagery; see 1 Samuel 15 and Numbers 31 for a snapshot.

I guess the OT Jews didn't love God when they put children and women to death under God's orders, huh?

Upvote 0

SullivanZ

Seeking His Face
Mar 6, 2011
✟16,142.00
Faith
Christian
Agreed. But should I not take that scripture literally? It was saying "whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God".

To me it sounds like everything we do should be to the glory of God. So yes when I drive, it should be for the glory of God. Yes, when playing Super Mario Bros it should be for the glory of God. In the way I drive, and in the way I play, I should strive to do it for the glory of God.

And what precisely is "the glory of God?" Let's define it specifically.

Is God glorified when you have a bowel movement?

Is He glorified when you post on internet forums?

Is He glorified when you blow your nose?

How about when you sin and disobey Him?

What about going to work, at a job you hate, doing something you don't enjoy? Does that glorify Him as well?

Not all things are beneficial though. If I am constantly doing things that are not beneficial then thats no bueno.

Who decides what is beneficial to you and what is not? You? Your priest or pastor? An oracle from God? How do you know what is good for you and what is "no bueno"? What is the criteria for judging such an event?

?

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Those are the kind of things atheists say, not understanding the glory of God. I'm not going to argue with you either, which I know is the thing you're after. You think you can judge God? You're in for a rude awakening. I don't know what happened to you, whether you ever were an actual Christian, but your attitude is completely inappropiate for this discussion, and many others I've seen you partcipate in. Check your hate at the door or get out.

You're entitled to feel that way, but based off the Bible, God is entirely not against killing or violence. The entire Old Testament is filled with such gruesome imagery; see 1 Samuel 15 and Numbers 31 for a snapshot.

I guess the OT Jews didn't love God when they put children and women to death under God's orders, huh?

Upvote 0
S

SavedByGrace86

Yes in everything.

In the little things, to going to work at job you hate, to posting right here on this forum. We should do it for the glory of God.

In terms of things being beneficial, that is something you have to ask yourself. If you find yourself doing things that are not beneficial and they are consuming your time then please consider this:

Ephesians 5:15-17
" 15 Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, 16 making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. 17 Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is."

Upvote 0

SullivanZ

Seeking His Face
Mar 6, 2011
✟16,142.00
Faith
Christian
Those are the kind of things atheists say, not understanding the glory of God. I'm not going to argue with you either, which I know is the thing you're after. You think you can judge God? You're in for a rude awakening. I don't know what happened to you, whether you ever were an actual Christian, but your attitude is completely inappropiate for this discussion, and many others I've seen you partcipate in. Check your hate at the door or get out.

So killing is okay for the "glory of God?" I'm sorry you feel that way. I don't.

Atheists ask these questions because they are intelligent people who think. I am also an intelligent person who thinks a lot. But I'm sorry to tell you, I'm not an atheist. I never have been, never will be, so I'm sorry to disappoint you there.

Your religious attitude shines through, but it has nothing to do with "judging God" or anyone else for that matter. It has to do with 2 simple facts:

1. The Bible is filled with examples of killing and violence God (apparently) endorsed.

2. As a result of this, it is folly to assume that God is somehow against video games that are FAKE violence. Especially in light of the fact that the Bible is littered with commands, from God, of REAL violence toward other humans.

What is so difficult for you to understand?

No one is trying to argue with you. Don't be paranoid here. The truth is merely being presented to you, whether you wish to accept it or not.

You are judging me (and my Christianity), which BTW is against Forum Rules. I do not care for that.

I don't hate anyone or anything. I do my best to actually follow the teachings of Christ, which do not advocate hatred. Do you do the same? Your antagonism, insults and inaccurate assessment of me is neither solicited nor welcome.

Good day.

Upvote 0

SullivanZ

Seeking His Face
Mar 6, 2011
✟16,142.00
Faith
Christian
I feel like we are arguing, which is something I do not wish to do. If you are being sincere private message me and we can talk.

If you mean me, I've turned off private messaging because of rude people on this forum, so I can't.

I have said all I wanted to on this matter. The truth is in your Bible - read it for yourself.

If something is wrong to you, then don't do it.

But don't impose your own brand of morality on everyone else as absolute truth when it is not. That is all.

Best of luck on your journey with God.

Upvote 0
S

SavedByGrace86

If something is wrong to you, then don't do it.

But don't impose your own brand of morality on everyone else as absolute truth when it is not. That is all.

I agree with what you are saying here. I am not imposing anything on anyone. I double checked my post to make sure and all I am saying is that we should take those scriptures literally as truth.

In terms of things being beneficial, that is something you have to ask yourself. If you find yourself doing things that are not beneficial and they are consuming your time then please consider this:

Ephesians 5:15-17
" 15 Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, 16 making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. 17 Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is.":

Is that what you are referring to? I am not trying to push or impose anything here. I said that because that is what the bible is saying to do. I should have referred to Romans 12 as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Matariki

Love the Lord with all your heart, soul and MIND
Jan 24, 2011
New Zealand
✟8,620.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Video games are sinful if they conflict with moral conduct and take over your life by replacing God. I enjoy playing games like Age of Empires and Assassins Creed. However for me, gaming is a hobby that I do once in a while.

YouTube - Video Games Aren't Sinful, They're Just Stupid

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forealzchola

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
California
✟23,254.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
MOD HAT ON

Statement of Purpose

!Christian Advice is a non-debate area where one may come to ask for Christian advice to a struggle they are encountering. Christian Advice is a Christian-Only area, but non-Christians may ask questions seeking for advice of a Christian nature. Christian advice is defined as advice which contains basic Christian principles and does not conflict with the site's Statement of Faith!

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums