Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
i play those types of games too -- i'm super big into playing videogames -- more into racing games then shooter games but i enjoy playing the GTA series. I think it's ok -- i doubt there's anything in the bible that says not to play things like that.

Like u, i'd never even think of killing someone in real life or trashing someone's car -- it's just fun doing it in a game where there's no real consequence but u kno some other people -- kids/teens learn to do that stuff in videogames and then go out to "test" what they've learned in real life so in some ways, i guess videogames are bad but, i don't think God is against them. But, that's just my opinion

Upvote 0

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
I too play video games, I mainly play MMORPGS though. I have never felt a conviction to stop playing video games, but I also don't allow it to rule my life, or at least not anymore.

One of the pastors at our church plays the Call of Duty series.

Upvote 0

Zalu

Dec 13, 2010
Puyallup, WA
✟7,790.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I don't think there's a problem with them at all, unless they become an idol in your life. I used to play video games A LOT lol. Think minimum of 12 hours a day. They got in the way of too many things that I know I should've been doing, such as meeting with people and even just house chores. As long as it's not interfering with your relationship & you're not convicted to stop, you're fine!

Upvote 0

Lee52

Mar 11, 2011
Normal, Illinois
✟2,645.00
Faith
Wesleyan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I don't think there's a problem with them at all, unless they become an idol in your life. I used to play video games A LOT lol. Think minimum of 12 hours a day. They got in the way of too many things that I know I should've been doing, such as meeting with people and even just house chores. As long as it's not interfering with your relationship & you're not convicted to stop, you're fine!

I agree with Zalu. If it does not interfere with relationships, ESPECIALLY your relationship with Christ, play on.

Be blessed,
Lee52

Upvote 0

Zalu

Dec 13, 2010
Puyallup, WA
✟7,790.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Some games are just plain evil and should not be played by Christians, in my opinion.

I feel this is a valid point as well. Just as not everything is good, that includes a lot of media, and that means some games. I'm not sure which ones exactly, as I haven't found too many like that, but it's better to gaurd yourself.

Upvote 0

ezeric

HE loves me too.
Mar 2, 2010
Canada but really in JESUS! (in HIS Covenant)
Visit site
✟12,835.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ah...

The Bible has lots to say about, letting things control us.
For some its a video game, for others its shopping for shoes, for others
its getting the best fishing or golfing stuff always.

Everything is permissible"--but not everything is beneficial.
"Everything is permissible"--but not everything is constructive.
1 Corinthians 10:23

If you get angry playing - then I would ask if its supposed to
be a game, why are you not having fun or enjoying it?

If it means your life is games - that isn't life, that is control.

Play and enjoy but don't let it rule your life.

You see in GRACE, GOD gives you the ability to enjoy
something, but not be controlled by it, as HE produces in you,
the fruit of the Spirit (Gal 5) of 'self control'.

And that stands for games or anything.
Because the only real joy, is the JOY Jesus can give, as
HE works and does amazing things through and for you!

JOY unspeakable is what the Bible calls it - and its available to
all believers!

No video game or shopping can do that.

-eric

The Exchanged Life

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lee52

Mar 11, 2011
Normal, Illinois
✟2,645.00
Faith
Wesleyan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Ah...

The Bible has lots to say about, letting things control us.
For some its a video game, for others its shopping for shoes, for others
its getting the best fishing or golfing stuff always.

Everything is permissible"--but not everything is beneficial.
"Everything is permissible"--but not everything is constructive.
1 Corinthians 10:23

If you get angry playing - then I would ask if its supposed to
be a game, why are you not having fun or enjoying it?

If it means your life is games - that isn't life, that is control.

Play and enjoy but don't let it rule your life.

You see in GRACE, GOD gives you the ability to enjoy
something, but not be controlled by it, as HE produces in you,
the fruit of the Spirit (Gal 5) of 'self control'.

And that stands for games or anything.
Because the only real joy, is the JOY Jesus can give, as
HE works and does amazing things through and for you!

JOY unspeakable is what the Bible calls it - and its available to
all believers!

No video game or shopping can do that.

-eric

The Exchanged Life

EXCELLENT words Eric!

Upvote 0

SonOfTheWest

Britpack
Sep 26, 2010
United Kingdom
✟9,861.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
Why? Do you think there are evil movies?

Depends on what you mean. If by movie you mean things including snuff films then you could definitely file some things in the category. Some bored programmer could spend some time with FLASH and great a really disgusting browser game but not a lot of people are going to think of that sort of thing if you say "video game."

In general however when in regards to subjects like the OP's question. I find you're much much MUCH more likely to see people toss around evil as a term used simply in the context of "that which I find personally offensive."

Upvote 0

SoldierOfSoul

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2009
Narnia
✟12,809.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Depends on what you mean. If by movie you mean things including snuff films then you could definitely file some things in the category. Some bored programmer could spend some time with FLASH and great a really disgusting browser game but not a lot of people are going to think of that sort of thing if you say "video game."

In general however when in regards to subjects like the OP's question. I find you're much much MUCH more likely to see people toss around evil as a term used simply in the context of "that which I find personally offensive."

Would you consider Grand Theft Auto a evil game?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SonOfTheWest

Britpack
Sep 26, 2010
United Kingdom
✟9,861.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
I never played the first two though I watched some friends play it. Yeah 3 makes sense since it's the starting point of the games more in depth graphics. I thought of it(and Vice City and 4 which I have owned and played) the same way I view a mafia movie or any other movie about organized crime. Not appropriate for all ages and maturity levels? Yes. Evil? hardly.

Upvote 0

SoldierOfSoul

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2009
Narnia
✟12,809.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I never played the first two though I watched some friends play it. Yeah 3 makes sense since it's the starting point of the games more in depth graphics. I thought of it(and Vice City and 4 which I have owned and played) the same way I view a mafia movie or any other movie about organized crime. Not appropriate for all ages and maturity levels? Yes. Evil? hardly.

I played those kind of games before I was saved and I enjoyed them, but they were evil games. I could not play them with a clear conscience now..

Upvote 0

SonOfTheWest

Britpack
Sep 26, 2010
United Kingdom
✟9,861.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
I played those kind of games before I was saved and I enjoyed them, but they were evil games. I could not play them with a clear conscience now..

LOL whatever floats your boat. Any time someone goes on about fake violence I just think of some of the pictures a company officer used to show us while I was in USMC boot camp and laugh. Video games and movies have NOTHING on the real world.

Upvote 0