Does Doctrine play any role in Salvation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Anyone.. means what it says.. anyone that calls on the name of the lord OT shall be delivered. NT Anyone that calls in the name of the lord shall be saved. Just telling someone.. this GOD sent His only son..came took your place.. died for you.. so you can be with Him forever.. Name? JESUS! Your in.

See we forget JESUS IS REAL! Its not like a choice to go left then right. He is REAL! You find so many times in your life.. what you wanted to do.. just went away.. and you don't know why.

doctrine.. for Israel or the rest of the world? Jesus now just shows up in a dream vision to people like Muslims just on how much He loves them and died and just says.. I FORGIVE YOU! Now who is going to tell the rest? MAN has made this so much harder then it is. Its so easy to be saved.. I believe from what I seen ..much harder to be lost.

Reactions: Jair Crawford
Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
IIRC those are the only verses regarding the good thief. Please correct me if I am wrong though.
Then we have to be careful to not create our own doctrines outside of scripture don’t we? Also don’t forget Jesus Himself commissioned His Apostles to make disciples in Matthew 28:16-20. You make disciples by teaching doctrines. No way around it.

• Useful
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Jair Crawford

Feb 9, 2018
Augusta, GA
✟29,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Then we have to be careful to not create our own doctrines outside of scripture don’t we? Also don’t forget Jesus Himself commissioned His Apostles to make disciples in Matthew 28:16-20. You make disciples by teaching doctrines. No way around it.

Of course. But that is not the same thing as saying that the sound doctrine is what saves.

Upvote 0

JLB777

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2012
✟403,811.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I wonder this, not to open up any excuses to ignore sound doctrine, by any means, but because so many different doctrines seem to be given this treatment among different denominations.

Yet I keep going back to the thief on the cross. He didn’t have time to learn any of what we might call essential doctrines yet he got saved. He didn’t have any time to understand TULIP, get his end time theology in order, argue about spiritual gifts, worry about Pauline versus Jamesian view on faith and works; he simply knew Christ in his very spirit being and he was saved right there.

Any thoughts?

Yes, doctrine plays a role in salvation.

Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son. 2 John 9

again

Take heed to yourself and to the doctrine. Continue in them, for in doing this you will save both yourself and those who hear you.
1 Timothy 4:16

JLB

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I was referring to the thief on the cross. Luke 23 as quoted above.

@Tigger45 My point is that he didn’t have to be taught that. His spirit was stirred and he responded.
Hm.

You raise a point though. Why didn't the thief take himself down off his cross so that he could at least learn from the apostles?

• Useful
Reactions: TuxAme
Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I wonder this, not to open up any excuses to ignore sound doctrine, by any means, but because so many different doctrines seem to be given this treatment among different denominations.

Yet I keep going back to the thief on the cross. He didn’t have time to learn any of what we might call essential doctrines yet he got saved. He didn’t have any time to understand TULIP, get his end time theology in order, argue about spiritual gifts, worry about Pauline versus Jamesian view on faith and works; he simply knew Christ in his very spirit being and he was saved right there.

Any thoughts?

The thief on the cross died a baby Christian, and that is okay so far as it goes. But is it okay for an adult of sound mind to remain a baby for years without much if any growth? Scripture provides a plain answer, no need to even speculate. :)

I think any mentally coherent concept of salvation, is loaded with doctrines, but may require much time and thought, disciplined thought to flesh them out and realize the connections and implications, etc. In the heart of a believer, a nuanced concept of salvation is the result of growth through studying Scripture and loving the Lord with all of the mind in the process.

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Sound doctrine IS important. I am not denying this. The question is, does sound doctrine save?
Acceptance of the doctrine matters. It must be related to our salvation, or God wouldn't have bothered with it.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Of course. But that is not the same thing as saying that the sound doctrine is what saves.
Romans 10:17

So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.

Ephesians 2:8

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can.

So if we’re saved by faith and it comes by hearing, what is it we’re hearing?

• Agree
Reactions: Athanasius377
Upvote 0

Ttalkkugjil

Social Pastor
Mar 6, 2019
Suwon
✟34,572.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Anyone.. means what it says.. anyone that calls on the name of the lord OT shall be delivered. NT Anyone that calls in the name of the lord shall be saved. Just telling someone.. this GOD sent His only son..came took your place.. died for you.. so you can be with Him forever.. Name? JESUS! Your in.

See we forget JESUS IS REAL! Its not like a choice to go left then right. He is REAL! You find so many times in your life.. what you wanted to do.. just went away.. and you don't know why.

doctrine.. for Israel or the rest of the world? Jesus now just shows up in a dream vision to people like Muslims just on how much He loves them and died and just says.. I FORGIVE YOU! Now who is going to tell the rest? MAN has made this so much harder then it is. Its so easy to be saved.. I believe from what I seen ..much harder to be lost.

Amen. Whosoever believes: faith's the means of securing salvation's blessings, it's the condition of acceptance by God. Christ Jesus is Lord of all, a riches-distributor of benefits to all and for all that call upon him. Jesus is the God and Rescuer of believers, and his command is such as to make him able to give his grace to each and every one, and to all together, that call upon him in faith, who worship him as their Redeemer. For that their salvation is their prayer's object is evident. To call upon God's name's identical with calling upon Christ's name. We call upon, worship, Christ as God. Our worshiping is our faith-expression. And by our faith, expressed in our confession, we grasp salvation, we're saved by Jesus. Salvation is intended for all; so the Gospel must be preached in the whole world.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ttalkkugjil

Social Pastor
Mar 6, 2019
Suwon
✟34,572.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Hm.

You raise a point though. Why didn't the thief take himself down off his cross so that he could at least learn from the apostles?

Hmm... on the cross he could learn from Jesus.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hmm... on the cross he could learn from Jesus.
Learning from him does not require him to stay on the cross.

So again, why didn't the thief just come down from the cross?

The answer is a little obvious.

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I would dare to say that most of us posting here aren't at the point of death, learning about Jesus for the first time (if we say that this is the situation the Good Thief found himself in), so I think Hard Cases Make Bad Law should apply here.

Upvote 0

icxn

Bραδύγλωσσος αἰπόλος μαθητεύων κνίζειν συκάμινα
Dec 13, 2004
✟210,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate

Any thoughts?

The Word of God Himself was able to give us all an "on loan" spirit through His Pentecost. So, each of us have the luxury of conviction from the Most High God Himself. This is the kernel of Truth He leaves us with so that we may know, and come to the Truth in full (as much as possible in this body).

Having said that, I want to be very firm about this:

The Word of God is a Living Entity.

I don't mean the Word of God in a figurative sense; I mean the actual Word of God who shed His blood for the remission of sins is a Living Entity. This is the same One that poured His spirit out to all of us as per the promise of our Father - the Most High God - in Jeremiah 31:31-34, Isaiah 59:21, and Ezekiel 36:25-27.

In any of this, do you see a mention of doctrine? The focus is, and always will be a spiritual relationship between you and your Father. Doctrine is from men; always compare everything to what the Most High God, and what the Word of God Himself says. They are the Arbiters of all of the law, and the entire creation.

EDIT: The only "doctrine" should be what the Word of God Himself, or the Most High God says.

Upvote 0

Ecclesiastian

Mar 7, 2019
Tifton
✟23,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
For salvation? No. Except perhaps soteriology and Christology, since if you don't have the correct understanding of salvation you may chase after the wrong things to attain it, and if you don't know who Christ is you don't know He can save you to begin with. But the rest doesn't impact one's ability to be granted salvation; it does however impact one's ability to rightly divide the word of truth and conduct themselves in worship properly.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
And how much work is required to add that nothingness! To empty ourselves of our big ego...
It is our work to trust Him. God does the rest.

• Winner
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Any thoughts?
The thief on the cross is not a good example as he believed as best he could with the short time remaining with his life. The same thing would apply to genuine death bed conversions. These examples are not typical for the majority of believers however. With the passing of time, one is expected to not remain as a "babe" in Christ but to be discipled into mature believers according to the doctrines and practices of the apostles.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.