Does believing Genesis is wrong make me a bad Christian?

Livingstones2020

Biblical Creationist
Dec 25, 2019
Lancaster, PA
Visit site
✟19,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
Actually, you just answered your own question. The 1st 4 photos, you actually see the person making the footprints. But the rest of them, you do not. It was probably made from a dinosaur and we know that it walked, but that is basically all you know about the footprints. So again, you are just confirming what I said before.

Upvote 0

Job 33:6

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟295,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Actually, you just answered your own question. The 1st 4 photos, you actually see the person making the footprints. But the rest of them, you do not. It was probably made from a dinosaur and we know that it walked, but that is basically all you know about the footprints. So again, you are just confirming what I said before.

Good, so you admit that a dinosaur walked.

Now, can you also admit that in order for a dinosaur to walk say...50 feet, that it would take more than a second to traverse the distance?

If not, why not? And if so, how did you come to this conclusion?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Livingstones2020

Biblical Creationist
Dec 25, 2019
Lancaster, PA
Visit site
✟19,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
I never said that Dinosaurs can't walk, and yes, there are some things that we can figure out, such as the distances of the footprints. However, I am not honestly sure we can tell a Dinosaur's top speed just by the footprints alone. They could be sprinting or even hopping. We only have so very little of clue that we can draw conclusions from.

Okay, so you believe in uniformitarianism. Here is a question then: Do you also believe the Bible, especially the book of Genesis?

Reactions: Andre_b
Upvote 0

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟295,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I never said that Dinosaurs can't walk, and yes, there are some things that we can figure out, such as the distances of the footprints. However, I am not honestly sure we can tell a Dinosaur's top speed just by the footprints alone. They could be sprinting or even hopping. We only have so very little of clue that we can draw conclusions from.

Okay, so you believe in uniformitarianism. Here is a question then: Do you also believe the Bible, especially the book of Genesis?

But you didn't answer the second part of the question.

If you had to estimate how long it would take a dinosaur to move 50 feet, could you safely assume that it would take more than 1 second?

Why or why not?

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There is a problem with that theory though. We can test gravity because we exist in the present, at least I hope we all are. But with millions of years, we cannot directly test because we weren't there. Science is all about testing, observing, and repeating. We can test, observe, and repeat the theory of gravity. But can we test, observe, or repeat millions of years? Unless you have a time machine that travels in the past, no we cannot.
. I agree that you’re being intellectually dishonest . The Dinosaur Dancing Floor is rather famous . Not only are the tracks there but they are vertical. Dinosaurs walked on that ground while it was muddy and flat on the ground. How can you tell ? The mud hasn’t flowed towards the ground as it is now . So right away that tells you that the dinosaurs didn’t walk up a steep wall. (And I’m not a geologist ) . This is something that happened in the past and can be determined by looking at it in the present. The other thing this tells you is that the flat ground has dried and moved since the dinosaurs walked on it . And that also happened in the past .

• Agree
Reactions: Job 33:6
Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you see two cars smashed on the side of the road, you don't need a time machine to understand that a collision occurred in the past. Its surprisingly simple to understand the past, even without needing to be alive to see it.

View attachment 278811
For the below photo for example, you don't need to be present to understand events of the past, nor do we even need to re enact the accident.

Unlike the car that hit the pole recently, probably with eyewitnesses, the earths core was made outside of time, it can't be measured. If you don't have all the facts to either a math equation or a test the concussions will be wrong.
Tests to measure ages assumes certain things such as radioactive decay of certain elements such as potassium and carbon. Who says these were always this way? They don't know this, they assume them. So no, they are not just looking at nature and having nature tell them an answer, mankind has assumed he knows what nature is telling him and has placed that onto nature.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The earths core ? Maybe you need to google the Iron Catastrophe to find out how it formed . And just because you don’t know something doesn’t mean someone else is ignorant on the subject .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You realize some of the animals are actually made up an non existent right?
you realize that what you said was ignorant or very naive.? Creationists lie about science facts . Griffins , unicorns and dragons are made up . Protohumans, dinobirds and protowhales are not

• Haha
Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
HAHA no I'm asking to show a fossil of an intermediate evolution from one species to a new one. Like a half and half point before the one species became a whole new one. Where the old species popped out a new arm or something that undeniably shows the direct link. Obviously I'm exaggerating a bit.
. 1 Any of the dinobirds including the one you’re familiar with-archaeopteryx , 2 a fishapod like tiktaalik which is partway to being a legged vertebrate instead of a fish. And I’m not exaggerating even a little bit. I just listed the ones you’re probably familiar with instead of one of the more exotic ones like Crassigyrinus or caudipteryx

• Agree
Upvote 0

SeanJames

Jun 14, 2020
Ottawa
✟7,712.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Wesleyan
Marital Status
Single
You're not screwed up about your religion.
It's a proven fact that the earth is about 3 billion years old and the universe is about 14 billion.

If the earth was created in 6 literal days,,,when were the dinosaurs created...and when did they become extinct?

Just love God, trust Jesus, and don't worry about how the universe got made.

God made it...that's all we know.
The O.T. is not a history book.
(but it contains history).

Upvote 0

SeanJames

Jun 14, 2020
Ottawa
✟7,712.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Wesleyan
Marital Status
Single
You're not screwed up about your religion.
It's a proven fact that the earth is about 3 billion years old and the universe is about 14 billion.

If the earth was created in 6 literal days,,,when were the dinosaurs created...and when did they become extinct?

Just love God, trust Jesus, and don't worry about how the universe got made.

God made it...that's all we know.
The O.T. is not a history book.
(but it contains history).
Genesis 1 is not meant to be taken literal. When it states God seperated the waters from the earth it is because in the ancient world the sky was physical water. Genesis 1 was written to give a foundation

Reactions: GodsGrace101
Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟76,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Nobody can disprove what has been proven, obviously. Proof is everywhere that the whole world and all of nature evolved over billions of years, not less than a week. Mass extinctions including the biggest flood in world history are known to have occurred hundreds of millions of years prior to the existence of humans, especially homo sapiens - the last remaining species. I simply cannot for the life of me believe what the Bible says about the Creation and timing of the Great Flood, at least in terms of being the worst ever, is more accurate than what scientists discover. But in my heart I believe the Bible is God's Word and believe in miracles, so I don't want to feel like I am betraying Him in favor of sinners. Am I screwed up about my religion?
Does believing Genesis is wrong make me a bad Christian?

Have you ever considered that Genesis is wrong in how its been translated?

On the other hand..

Knowing God is real? That He can not be stupid? That God can not be incompetent? To think He is any of those things does make one a bad Christian.

Now if God is real? And, He most definitely is.. And, to know that God created minds that we now call "genius?" And, that His intelligence is infinite? And, that anything sets out to do, he has already finished before He begins?

To think God would be so stupid to have Genesis say what we think we see in the English translations? Would be to say God was weak and not able to provide accurate information as found in the Hebrew texts. That is, the account of Genesis as found in the Hebrew is revealing and accurate according to even science. Amazing differences are to be found there.

Such as? The Hebrew demands that we understand that this world is not the first created world. The English is so watered down and misleading in parts one would think that the scholars who translated worked for today's news media.

There are words in the Hebrew that have specific usage and meanings, that the English turns into a generic ambiguous statements. Speculations thrive in that atmosphere.

One example of how the Hebrew is not accurately translated.. Do you know that the Lord did not breath into the nostrils of Adam's body the "breath of life?" The Hebrew appears in the plural. Into the nostrils went the "breath of lives." That right there reveals how Adam became a living soul. But, I digress.

A typical English translation does not explain how the Hebrew covers the fact that other worlds preceded the one we now know (the original Scofield Bible had footnotes to reveal that fact). Not to mention, in other parts of Scripture, it tells us that the created world we now live in will someday be forgotten and considered to be prehistoric as well.

A good Christian? He or she would come to eventually knowing that God is not stupid and can not lie. That he does not hold back truth from us, even when we can not yet understand it.

Lets see how this goes....

grace and peace

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Genesis 1 is not meant to be taken literal.

And what did you use to determine that it should not be taken literally?

A study of ancient Hebrew literary styles?
Scriptural backup?
or just because you say so?

Upvote 0

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟295,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
@Livingstones2020

I mentioned this location to people in new York, but it also exists in Pennsylvania as well. In Port Clinton Pennsylvania, Broad street in town crosses over a small river. And just to the south there is a train station. If you walk south just a few hundred feet, you will find the Appalachian trail entrance that takes you up a hill. And up on that trail and just to the south maybe a 5-10 minute walk on the Appalachian trail, you will find a structure similar to Hutton's unconformity described in the 1700s. This contact continues up through the tri-state area and the unconformity can be observed elsewhere as well, but you might be surprised at what you see, if you consider how it might have come to be.

And there are nice little placards around detailing the unconformity as well, so it's not particularly complicated for non-scientists.

It would be worth the trip for people who are truly interested in the subject.

We don't have to go far to find structures that place deep time on a pedestal for all to see.

In these structures we have an initial deposition of sedimentary layers. Sometimes sands, sometimes silts or muds. Life walks around making tracks, feeding traces, nests or burrows etc., demonstrating a passage of time at peace. This land lithifies and hardens through time, and is later tilted during tectonic uplift and orogenesis. Then once tilted into the sky, erosion from wind, water and ice, erode the tilted layers back down to grade. Later, new sediment is deposited and more trace fossils appear. The upper layers harden and capture the trace fossils in time and the layers tilt via orogenesis again.

If we come to an awareness that such structures are found throughout the entire geologic column, all throughout periods of the Paleozoic, mesozoic and cenozoic, we begin to understand that these structures are not the exception, but rather they are the normal and common default.

And this paints an image of deep time. Incredibly deep time, beyond anything that anyone had ever known prior to the 1700s.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@Livingstones2020

I mentioned this location to people in new York, but it also exists in Pennsylvania as well. In Port Clinton Pennsylvania, Broad street in town crosses over a small river. And just to the south there is a train station. If you walk south just a few hundred feet, you will find the Appalachian trail entrance that takes you up a hill. And up on that trail and just to the south maybe a 5-10 minute walk on the Appalachian trail, you will find a structure similar to Hutton's unconformity described in the 1700s. This contact continues up through the tri-state area and the unconformity can be observed elsewhere as well, but you might be surprised at what you see, if you consider how it might have come to be.

And there are nice little placards around detailing the unconformity as well, so it's not particularly complicated for non-scientists.

It would be worth the trip for people who are truly interested in the subject.

We don't have to go far to find structures that place deep time on a pedestal for all to see.

In these structures we have an initial deposition of sedimentary layers. Sometimes sands, sometimes silts or muds. Life walks around making tracks, feeding traces, nests or burrows etc., demonstrating a passage of time at peace. This land lithifies and hardens through time, and is later tilted during tectonic uplift and orogenesis. Then once tilted into the sky, erosion from wind, water and ice, erode the tilted layers back down to grade. Later, new sediment is deposited and more trace fossils appear. The upper layers harden and capture the trace fossils in time and the layers tilt via orogenesis again.

If we come to an awareness that such structures are found throughout the entire geologic column, all throughout periods of the Paleozoic, mesozoic and cenozoic, we begin to understand that these structures are not the exception, but rather they are the normal and common default.

And this paints an image of deep time. Incredibly deep time, beyond anything that anyone had ever known prior to the 1700s.

A marvellous example of the global flood.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A marvelous example of deep time . You can’t have burrows and organisms buried in life positions all through 2 completely different layers if they were laid down by 1 flood . The organisms wouldn’t mostly be in life positions and the burrows and bioturbation evidence would have been destroyed in a violent global flood . They were obviously laid down at different times with a directly visible fossil, chemical, and mineral difference. You also have to take into account that they are oriented differently with evidence of extreme erosion of the bottom layer after it solidified. You cannot say that this was a single flood that put this there. Nor can you say this this happened over a short period of time.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A marvelous example of deep time . You can’t have burrows and organisms buried in life positions all through 2 completely different layers if they were laid down by 1 flood . The organisms wouldn’t mostly be in life positions and the burrows and bioturbation evidence would have been destroyed in a violent global flood . They were obviously laid down at different times with a directly visible fossil, chemical, and mineral difference. You also have to take into account that they are oriented differently with evidence of extreme erosion of the bottom layer after it solidified. You cannot say that this was a single flood that put this there. Nor can you say this this happened over a short period of time.

In many areas the flood waters covered an area the receded...perhaps tidal in some places...eventually the entire world was covered. As the waters receded there was yet another movement and redeposition of flood sediment..erosion. The 1 flood was composed of several floods laid down at different times that eventually grew to one world wide flood.
Brightmoons "model", if that's what you want to call it is based upon the bathtub. You fill it up...shut off the spigot then pull the plug.
We know the flood layers...strata...was deposited rapidly for several reasons. Bioturbation would have destroyed the lines of demarcation between the strata if deep time and slow, gradual deposition existed. We would also not have any polystrate fossils. Recumbent folds also show the rapid folding of soft rock...so much to say.

Upvote 0