Does anyone else have days when they feel far from God?

Any

Jul 4, 2018
New york
✟21,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
hello everyone, I have became born again a couple months ago. I want to start off saying that I know God will never leave me and that his spirit dwells within me. However sometimes I have days when I feel far from him and like our connection is hindered in a way. I know sin, not reading the Bible and not praying play a part.

Some days I feel loving towards others and light, other days I feel bitter dark and heavy (spiritually)

However some days I try my best but still feel far. It's weird. What is this? Also I have been praying to God about it.

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
hello everyone, I have became born again a couple months ago. I want to start off saying that I know God will never leave me and that his spirit dwells within me. However sometimes I have days when I feel far from him and like our connection is hindered in a way. I know sin, not reading the Bible and not praying play a part.

Some days I feel loving towards others and light, other days I feel bitter dark and heavy (spiritually)

However some days I try my best but still feel far. It's weird. What is this? Also I have been praying to God about it.
Feelings should not rule our lives. They are useful and can be comforting, but they are also fleeting.

Sometimes God seems to withdraw from us, so that we will learn to seek Him more. He moves further from us so we will reach out to Him.

(But I will pray for you...these heavy times can be discouraging.)

Upvote 0

Any

Jul 4, 2018
New york
✟21,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Feelings should not rule our lives. They are useful and can be comforting, but they are also fleeting.

Sometimes God seems to withdraw from us, so that we will learn to seek Him more. He moves further from us so we will reach out to Him.

(But I will pray for you...these heavy times can be discouraging.)
Well I can see how it makes us seek him more. I know everything is for the best. Thanks for the prayers.

Upvote 0

Pilgrim

Praying without ceasing
Mar 26, 2017
between the pages of the Bible.
Visit site
✟200,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
257387_93a4817a67112c6d720aaeb04ac32a45.jpg

22 Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved. —Psalms 55:22 (KJV)

Encouragement...

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

I use to, but I dont anymore. This is how, I'll give an example.

Have you ever had a best friend? Someone who you use to spend time with all the time and talk to everyday. But then life happens and all of a sudden you're not talking as much, but when you do, even if its years later, it feels like you never left them? Why is that?

Because that type of friendship is at a point where:
1. You know the person so well that anytime you're in their presence its a warm familiar place.
2. You've established such deep trust that even if something pops up, it doesn't affect the friendship and
3. You love them that much that you treasure anytime you spend with them, you would make time for them.

So what would make a person worry that they are far from a friend is either 1. you don't know them that well and you feel estranged when they are around 2. You have a lack of trust in them that makes room for any sort of doubt and 3. You don't love them that much to want to spend time with them. And vice versa.

So questions to ask yourself:
1. Do I really know God? Do I feel like God knows me?
2. Do I trust God? Do I feel worthy of being a child of God?
3. Do I love God? Do I feel that God loves me?

If any of those questions is a no, then that's why you are feeling far from Him. What I find with those that end up leaving the faith, is that instead of examining the relationship with God, they put doubts in it through the anxiety of feeling far away, to the point where their doubts end up having their heart really is far from Him. They have a demeanor of someone that has felt defeated or given up. And even one step further, they either resent or attack those that do find a close relationship with God. So work on building that relationship, trust, and intimacy with Him to the point where you don't even have to question, those anxieties and questions will clear up on its own.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Any

Jul 4, 2018
New york
✟21,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I use to, but I dont anymore. This is how, I'll give an example.

Have you ever had a best friend? Someone who you use to spend time with all the time and talk to everyday. But then life happens and all of a sudden you're not talking as much, but when you do, even if its years later, it feels like you never left them? Why is that?

Because that type of friendship is at a point where:
1. You know the person so well that anytime you're in their presence its a warm familiar place.
2. You've established such deep trust that even if something pops up, it doesn't affect the friendship and
3. You love them that much that you treasure anytime you spend with them, you would make time for them.

So what would make a person worry that they are far from a friend is either 1. you don't know them that well and you feel estranged when they are around 2. You have a lack of trust in them that makes room for any sort of doubt and 3. You don't love them that much to want to spend time with them. And vice versa.

So questions to ask yourself:
1. Do I really know God? Do I feel like God knows me?
2. Do I trust God? Do I feel worthy of being a child of God?
3. Do I love God? Do I feel that God loves me?

If any of those questions is a no, then that's why you are feeling far from Him. What I find with those that end up leaving the faith, is that instead of examining the relationship with God, they put doubts in it through the anxiety of feeling far away, to the point where their doubts end up having their heart really is far from Him. They have a demeanor of someone that has felt defeated or given up. And even one step further, they either resent or attack those that do find a close relationship with God. So work on building that relationship, trust, and intimacy with Him to the point where you don't even have to question, those anxieties and questions will clear up on its own.
Wow thank you very much this helped me a lot. I have some work to do. I didn't even realize I was struggling with #2 that you listed. I can't wait to reach that level with God to have that comfort. Your perspective makes a lot of sense. God is the best friend one could have and I've been doubting it more than my other relationships.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Wow thank you very much this helped me a lot. I have some work to do. I didn't even realize I was struggling with #2 that you listed. I can't wait to reach that level with God to have that comfort. Your perspective makes a lot of sense. God is the best friend one could have and I've been doubting it more than my other relationships.

Yay! Praise God! Just trust that as long as you draw nigh to Him, He will draw nigh to you. Like any relationship, you're always growing in it day by day, but you will find peace in Him. Even when you get to a place that you're confident in Christ, you're still learning more about Him day by day, and get to love Him the more you know about Him. Keep the faith.

• Agree
Reactions: Pilgrim
Upvote 0

Any

Jul 4, 2018
New york
✟21,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yay! Praise God! Just trust that as long as you draw nigh to Him, He will draw nigh to you. Like any relationship, you're always growing in it day by day, but you will find peace in Him. Even when you get to a place that you're confident in Christ, you're still learning more about Him day by day, and get to love Him the more you know about Him. Keep the faith.
Thank you. It's a great journey and even though I feel far at the moment I never want to leave the faith. Honestly that fear is something I've been struggling with and when I think this way it makes me feel like Peter when he was sinking and Jesus said "why are ye fearful, o ye of little faith"

But I realized when I feel this way Jesus always calms the waves.

God bless

Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums