Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Luther called the book of James "an epistle of straw" I believe.

I still think it's useful for teaching rebuking and correcting so that we might be made complete
I find it a useful review before confession. And I don't find any straw in it oddly.

Upvote 0

Pcippy

Jan 8, 2024
Oregon
✟1,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well even reading and studying the Bible for yourself can still lead directly to theological error. A great many denominations which have dubious doctrines, like the Mormons and Jehovah’s Witnesses and the non-trinitarian Adventists, resulted from people reading the Bible*

This is why ecclesiastical authority is so important. And to verify which churches are teaching doctrine correctly, well, many people are not called to do that, but some people, including myself, were put in positions to have to study that. And the easiest way is to study the history and the doctrines of the early church and then look at the denominations in existence today, and see which churches are closest to the Patristic church of the first few centuries of Christianity, before certain controversial events such as the Chalcedonian Schism, the adoption of the filiioque, the East-West schism between the Orthodox and Catholics following a Roman Pope excommunicating the Patriarch of Constantinople, which was hardened by acts of violence towards Eastern Christians in the Crusades.

*usually the KJV as it was most widespread and lacked the doctrinal commentaries of the Geneva Bible and the Challoner Douai Rheims (by design, because it was needed by the Church of England, whose members at the turn of the 17th century ranged from Puritans to extremely high church Anglo-Papalists who would be members of the Roman Catholic Church except for the fact that it was illegal, and the Elizabethan Settlement that had unified these diverse groups in the Church of England essentially required that doctrinal commentaries such as those used by the Calvinists in the Geneva Bible and the Roman Catholics in the Douai Rheims be not included). However any scriptural version, even one with a commentary, is at risk of being misunderstood.
woww god bless of what you do

• Friendly
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Which is why it is interesting to chart it all out to see what gets covered and what gets skipped over time. In the Catholic liturgical year there is quite a lot that does get covered. So too for the denominations that follow the same or similar reading sets. Far more than the pastor who picks his own limited set of texts. But I really do get your point. What ISN'T covered? And WHY?

Some of that is that certain readings are seasonal in the liturgical year. For example we finally wrapped up Christmas readings with Epiphany last Saturday. Except my guys observed Epiphany the next day, argh, which then means the normal Sunday readings got skipped and won't be heard until three years go by.

Lent starts February 14th so the Sunday readings will change to reflect that. And then Holy Week. It is appropriate to skip around for things like that. And Septuagesma Sunday. Oh, but we no longer do that for some reason.

Starting in Genesis and plodding all the way to the Apocalypse? By the middle of Numbers the whole congregation would have left. I don't think that's necessarily the smartest approach. As a thought experiment it seems challenging enough.

In daily mass the readings often go through various books on a two year cycle, but even there the memorials for the more major saints can override that sequence. That's as close as we get to reading straight through.
True but what I’m talking about is protestant churches. I’ve yet to hear one preach controversial passages like John 15 or Galatians 5. I’m sure there are a few out there who probably do but from my experience these passages are typically not discussed due to the conflicting implications to their statement of faith and theology. You’ll certainly hear John 6 and John 10 often but not John 15. The reason I stopped attending the church I love so much is because the pastor wouldn’t discuss John 15 in a private discussion in his office. Personally I think it’s because he’s not allowed to because of the church’s affiliation with the Alliance Church.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟963,064.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I’ve yet to hear one preach controversial passages like John 15 or Galatians 5.

Probably off-topic for this thread but I am interested why you consider these chapters controversial? If not here, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts in a private message.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
True but what I’m talking about is protestant churches. I’ve yet to hear one preach controversial passages like John 15 or Galatians 5. I’m sure there are a few out there who probably do but from my experience these passages are typically not discussed due to the conflicting implications to their statement of faith and theology. You’ll certainly hear John 6 and John 10 often but not John 15. The reason I stopped attending the church I love so much is because the pastor wouldn’t discuss John 15 in a private discussion in his office. Personally I think it’s because he’s not allowed to because of the church’s affiliation with the Alliance Church.

For churches that follow the Revised Common Lectionary, John 15 shows up on three Sundays in year B, and Galatians 5 shows up on a Sunday in year C. Quite a few Protestant churches do use the Revised Common Lectionary, including the American Baptists, Church of the Nazarene, Disciples of Christ, Episcopal Church, ELCA, LCMS, PCUSA, RCA, UCC, United Methodists, and a number of others, including churches outside the US.

I agree, though, that many Protestant churches do not use a lectionary. The Southern Baptist church that I grew up in did not follow a lectionary, for example.

Like @seeking.IAM , I'm curious about why some churches view John 15 and Galatians 5 as controversial.

Edit: Oops, forgot to cite my sources. Reverse Lectionary, Revised Common Lectionary - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Probably off-topic for this thread but I am interested why you consider these chapters controversial? If not here, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts in a private message.
I suspect John 15: 1-17 would be very uncomfortable for a OSAS pastor or even a faith alone pastor to touch.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Chevyontheriver answered correctly.

Upvote 0

Stephen3141

Mar 14, 2023
Southwest
✟40,006.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The lord wants me to read the bible more than i am willing to, i do it anyways due to our aggreement. When the times i set up with the lord come up to read the bible i absolutely lose it and hate the fact i have to sit down and get into the word. While im reading the feeling doesnt seem to go away... than i get mad and sometimes mock the word due to my absolute non-enjoyment or want of reading the word

(The lord wants me to read 3 chapters every hour of the day every day)

Any advice?

How did you conclude that "the Lord" wants you to read 3 chapters every hour, every day???

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2024
Issaquah, WA
✟452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The Lord I serve is kind, loving, and patient. He wants what is best for me and will not ask more than I can handle, expecting that I will progress into a loving relationship with Him, not a works-based performance of religion. We are to test all spirits, making sure the ones we hear are the true living God 1 John 4:2 "Hereby shall ye know the Spirit of God, Every spirit which confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God."

Upvote 0

linux.poet

Electric Nightfall
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2022
Poway
✟204,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
This sounds more like a spirit of self-torture than divine revelation.
The lord wants me to read the bible more than i am willing to, i do it anyways due to our aggreement. When the times i set up with the lord come up to read the bible i absolutely lose it and hate the fact i have to sit down and get into the word.
Have you tried audiobooks? There are numerous audio Bibles available, some for free. You can listen to the Bible while going about your day instead of cruelly interrupting it to engage in harried reading.

What agreement did you make with the Lord?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,405.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I absolutely cant stand reading the bible​

Well don't then.
The lord wants me to read the bible more than i am willing to,
If you're not willing to read the word of the God who made you, loves you, has saved you and wants to bless you more than you will know; don't.
If getting to know him and learning what he has to say to you, about your faith and how you can have the privilege of serving him, I don't believe he will force you.
i do it anyways due to our aggreement.
What agreement?
The Lord doesn't make agreements or bargains with us - doesn't need to. He is God, we are his creation and we owe him all things.

When the times i set up with the lord come up to read the bible i absolutely lose it and hate the fact i have to sit down and get into the word.
You don't HAVE to do anything.
If you don't want to be with the One who created you, loves you and died for you, that's your issue.
I'm sorry, but I doubt that.
Reading every hour of the day means reading for 24 hours; no time for sleeping and little time for anything else.
Reading 3 chapters an hour would mean you read 72 chapters in one day.
Reading, on its own, is not enough - what about prayer, reflection and letting the Holy Spirit speak to you about what you have read?
The Lord does not even force us to have a relationship with him - he gave us a will and a mind to choose for ourselves. He is not going to make anyone read his word if they can't stand doing so.

If you had a child, would you force them to read your family history all day every day - or would you just love them?

Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Hawkins

Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2005
Canada
✟238,750.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The lord wants me to read the bible more than i am willing to, i do it anyways due to our aggreement. When the times i set up with the lord come up to read the bible i absolutely lose it and hate the fact i have to sit down and get into the word. While im reading the feeling doesnt seem to go away... than i get mad and sometimes mock the word due to my absolute non-enjoyment or want of reading the word

Any advice?

Go to a church for the sermons on every Sunday.

That happened to me too before I was converted to a Christian. I no longer have the issue when the Holy Spirit is with me. Praise the Lord.

Reactions: Yarddog
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,405.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He said God told him to. Is that too much when your debt has been paid.
If it WAS God who told him read 3 chapters an hour, every hour, every day.
God also knows that he absolutely hates doing it - is that a loving thing to command?

Reactions: rebornfree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Any advice?
I’ve read the Bible and I find parts of it to be really compelling and inspirational while other parts… Let’s be honest… There are more than a couple of parts that are a serious trudge. But with a book that’s 1,200-1,500 pages, not every page is going to be compelling.

My advice is to make sure you have a translation that matches your beliefs but also is one you understand without having to decode. Take it in manageable chunks. Take breaks to meditate if what you’re reading is being absorbed. If it’s not, take another break. Or maybe get an audiobook.

As for God saying you have to read three chapters an hour all waking hours… I’d use some discernment here. I don’t know that I’d believe that command comes from God vs my own sense of guilt.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Three chapters every hour. He wouldn’t get uninterrupted sleep for more than 50 minutes. Which means severe sleep cycle disruption.

Is it known that ANYONE else ever was asked by God to do exactly this? Even the monks who got up in the middle of the night to pray got more than three hours uninterrupted sleep at a time.

I’m thinking it was not God that told him this.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟963,064.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think when God asks you to do something, He equips you to do it. Case in point: Moses and Aaron.

If you can't do what you think God asks you to do, maybe you misunderstood the request.

Upvote 0