Oregon
✟1,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The lord wants me to read the bible more than i am willing to, i do it anyways due to our aggreement. When the times i set up with the lord come up to read the bible i absolutely lose it and hate the fact i have to sit down and get into the word. While im reading the feeling doesnt seem to go away... than i get mad and sometimes mock the word due to my absolute non-enjoyment or want of reading the word

(The lord wants me to read 3 chapters every hour of the day every day)

Any advice?

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The lord wants me to read the bible more than i am willing to, i do it anyways due to our aggreement. When the times i set up with the lord come up to read the bible i absolutely lose it and hate the fact i have to sit down and get into the word. While im reading the feeling doesnt seem to go away... than i get mad and sometimes mock the word due to my absolute non-enjoyment or want of reading the word
Hmmm.
And he told you that in so many words? It doesn't sound like anything I have ever heard the Lord say. I think that might be the source of your issues. You might try a little discernment of spirits to see if that holds up.

When I read the Bible I almost always find myself reading more than I had planned. And not hating it at all. That is more normal.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟962,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Relax. Some people don't like to read. For much of Christian history, a majority of adherents were illiterate. Plus, the Bible was not widely distributed prior to the invention of the printing press in 1440. People learned about scripture from attending church and the oral tradition of the faith. Bible reading, while interesting, educational, and valuable to many, is not required.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Relax. Some people don't like to read. For much of Christian history, a majority of adherents were illiterate. Plus, the Bible was not widely distributed prior to the invention of the printing press in 1440. People learned about scripture from attending church and the oral tradition of the faith. Bible reading, while interesting, educational, and valuable to many, is not required.
The problem with this approach is how do you know which church is teaching the correct theology if you don’t read and study the Bible for yourself?

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟122,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution

Any advice?

You need to read with a purpose and understanding …and you don’t have that …you have a task.

You can develop purpose on your own ...or ask God.

As for understanding … gaining greater insight into the Word would be helpful. I think I can help with that. (coming your way)

I had never been a great reader and having only one eye (not in the middle of my forehead …that would be weird) but reading was exhausting to me.
I got into research and that was my purpose… that excited me.

Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,963.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

That's not God your hearing..

My advice? Ignore things like the above.

Bible study is great, but it's better to take things slow so you can actually learn.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟962,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The problem with this approach is how do you know which church is teaching the correct theology if you don’t read and study the Bible for yourself?

It seemed to work fairly well for 1400 years before the Bible became widely available. If you are attending a church with scripture-based preaching and worship, you will hear much of the Bible over time. What you do with it -- how you apply it to your life -- is still up to you. I think Bible study is fine for those that are interested in it. However, reading is not required for salvation.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Well, they read from the Bible and you hear them read it. At least that’s how it works in my parish. It’s not just a minister’s favorite verse and an hour of spin on that.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,879.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
It seemed to work fairly well for 1400 years before the Bible became widely available. If you are attending a church with scripture-based preaching and worship, you will hear much of the Bible over time. What you do with it -- how you apply it to your life -- is still up to you. I think Bible study is fine for those that are interested in it. However, reading is not required for salvation.
A big part of salvation is faith, then by God's grace we are saved. We need faith to believe the Gospel and we need to have heard the Gospel. True you don't have to read it to be saved but you do have to hear it. So we come down to this : "Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God". Where do we find these words ? In the bible, Romans 10:17. And the Gospel in a few places. But we must believe it to be true or you have a false conversion which equals none at all.

Most .Christians want to hear from God and that is found mostly in His word.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟962,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Most .Christians want to hear from God and that is found mostly in His word.
His word is also found in His church. It can be heard as well as read.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

Well even reading and studying the Bible for yourself can still lead directly to theological error. A great many denominations which have dubious doctrines, like the Mormons and Jehovah’s Witnesses and the non-trinitarian Adventists, resulted from people reading the Bible*

This is why ecclesiastical authority is so important. And to verify which churches are teaching doctrine correctly, well, many people are not called to do that, but some people, including myself, were put in positions to have to study that. And the easiest way is to study the history and the doctrines of the early church and then look at the denominations in existence today, and see which churches are closest to the Patristic church of the first few centuries of Christianity, before certain controversial events such as the Chalcedonian Schism, the adoption of the filiioque, the East-West schism between the Orthodox and Catholics following a Roman Pope excommunicating the Patriarch of Constantinople, which was hardened by acts of violence towards Eastern Christians in the Crusades.

*usually the KJV as it was most widespread and lacked the doctrinal commentaries of the Geneva Bible and the Challoner Douai Rheims (by design, because it was needed by the Church of England, whose members at the turn of the 17th century ranged from Puritans to extremely high church Anglo-Papalists who would be members of the Roman Catholic Church except for the fact that it was illegal, and the Elizabethan Settlement that had unified these diverse groups in the Church of England essentially required that doctrinal commentaries such as those used by the Calvinists in the Geneva Bible and the Roman Catholics in the Douai Rheims be not included). However any scriptural version, even one with a commentary, is at risk of being misunderstood.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
His word is also found in His church. It can be heard as well as read.

This is correct. The Word of God, according to the Bible, is actually Jesus Christ (John 1:1-14, which I believe the Episcopal church reads as its Gospel on Christmas Day or the first Sunday after Christmas). And since the Bible is read in the Church, and the Church is also the only place where one can partake of the very body and blood of our Lord, it makes sense therefore to go to Church and use the Church of Christ for the purpose it is intended, which is communion with Christ our True God and his other disciples who become our brethren in Christ.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Well, they read from the Bible and you hear them read it. At least that’s how it works in my parish. It’s not just a minister’s favorite verse and an hour of spin on that.

Indeed. The more extensive the programmed lectionary lessons are, the better. In the Coptic liturgy, they actually read four New Testament lessons in addition to an appointed Psalm (specifically, an Epistle written by St. Paul, an Epistle by another apostle), a lesson from Acts, which Copts refer to as “the Praxis” and finally a lesson from the Gospel.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟962,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My church has three scripture readings in every service, with sermons based upon the scripture(s) of the day. Additionally, much of the liturgy itself is from or based upon scripture. Many of us also pray the Daily Office (i.e., morning, noon, evening, and compline prayer) which are laden with scripture.

There is much to derive from Bible reading, but failing at it should not cause undo stress for the Christian struggling with it. There are, indeed, other ways to receive the Word.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,076.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Any advice?

Which book and chapter are you now in your Bible reading? Some parts of the Bible makes me uncomfortable.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Any advice?
When you became a Christian on what basis did you gain assurance that you were genuinely converted to Christ? This is important, and I am not doubting your Christian profession, but it does concern me that seeing that the Bible has everything that God has to say to mankind, and that the Holy Spirit speaks to you through the Bible, if you don't like reading the Bible, how are you able to hear the voice of the Spirit?

I remember in the first two years of my Christian life I found reading the Bible to be a chore, but that was because the people who discipled me believed that the written Scriptures were the dead letter, while the inner voice of the Spirit was God's true voice. After that two years, I became very dissatisfied because I did all the religious stuff but I didn't really know the God behind it all. So I started to seek God with all my heart to find out how to know Him on a personal basis. One starry night I got out into the middle of a park, looked up to the heavens and said, "God, you can hear my voice, and I need to know you otherwise I'm going to give Christianity the flick and live back in the world. So I have come out here to introduce myself. You are God and I am [my name] and I am very glad to meet you." Immediately, I felt all lit up inside like Times Square, Jesus became very real to me, and the Bible became a living book where I saw things in the pages of Scripture I had never seen before. I believe that I was actually baptised with the Holy Spirit (not the Pentecostal way with the wing nut wacky doodle manifestations), but with the realisation that my true fellowship is with the Father and His Son Jesus Christ, and that my salvation depended on Jesus dying for me on the Cross to take the penalty for my sins, and He rose again to give me eternal life. The words of the hymn, "When I survey the wondrous Cross" became real to me, and it was my heartfelt prayer that night, and it has been absolutely meaningful ever since.

So you might have to start really seeking God that you can know that you have really received the Holy Spirit who speaks to you through the Bible in a way that makes you come alive in the Spirit as you read the pages of Scripture. This is the difference between mere profession of Christianity, and really living and walking in the Spirit allowing God's Word to live within you.

You don't have to take my word for it. Check it out for yourself to see that there is much more to being a Christian believer than just going to church and putting on the Christian badge and doing everything out of a sense of religious duty.

Upvote 0

Terri Dactyl

Aug 27, 2022
Midwest
✟47,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Celibate
Do you mind being read to? There are audible versions of the Bible online.
We are told to Search the Scriptures by Christ Himself.
John 5:39 "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me." not a church, not another man--it is the scripture which testifies of Him.
Don't count on any man or church to tell you what to believe. We are responsible for our own learning. God's word is how He speaks to us,

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,373.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, do you like searching out topics instead of reading chapter by chapter. You could do a study of God's names, titles, and attributes which will take you from Gen to Rev.

But if God gave you specific instructions, then encourage you to repent for not wanting to follow Him in this way & asks for further guidance which He will provide. After all, we renew our minds with His Word, then we do what His wisdom says.

Last edited:
Upvote 0