Does a Sinner Need to DO Anything to Get Saved?

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But look at the Greek word and definition for the word once.
Once for everyone from that point on. No indication it was retroactive.

Hebrews was written to First Century Messianic Jews.

Upvote 0

Alpha.Omega

Apr 17, 2018
BHill
✟12,308.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Say some biblical interpretations.

Our Lord said His Blood was of the NEW Covenant; not the Mosaic covenant.
So I do not agree with that interpretation.

Hebrews 9:15, "Therefore he is the mediator of a New Covenant, so that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance, since a death has occurred that Redeems them from the transgressions committed under the First Covenant."

This clearly disagrees with your understanding.

Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0

Alpha.Omega

Apr 17, 2018
BHill
✟12,308.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

but not only to them, the whole Bible, from Genesis to Revelation is very relevant to ALL true believers, whether they be Jews, the original "elect of God", or the Church, who are the "New elect of God". Galatians 6:16

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hebrews 9:15, "Therefore he is the mediator of a New Covenant, so that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance, since a death has occurred that Redeems them from the transgressions committed under the First Covenant."

This clearly disagrees with your understanding.
Not really. This was a transition time and most of the readers were alive and adult before HIS death - and therefor sinned under the Mosaic covenant.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
or the Church, who are the "New elect of God". Galatians 6:16
There is no "new" Elect of God.

Romans 11:29
for the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable.
And the context is specifically about traditional Jews which are described as "enemies of the gospel."

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I’m curious why they added the words for all time? English translations are pretty frustrating sometimes.

Upvote 0

Alpha.Omega

Apr 17, 2018
BHill
✟12,308.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There is no "new" Elect of God.

Romans 11:29
for the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable.
And the context is specifically about traditional Jews which are described as "enemies of the gospel."

"ἀμεταμέλητος", "not to be repented of or regretted". The Greek knows nothing of "irrevocable". we are not too interested in "theology", but rather than what the original Bible tells us!

The CHURCH, and not Israel are the People of God. This consists of BOTH Jews and Gentiles. There is only ONE body in Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I’m curious why they added the words for all time? English translations are pretty frustrating sometimes.
Which translation adds "time?"

Most bible translators (maybe in all translations) have included commentary in their word choices to color the text in favor of their own doctrinal positions.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Which translation adds "time?"

Most bible translators (maybe in all translations) have included commentary in their word choices to color the text in favor of their own doctrinal positions.

Ughh I’m embarrassed to say it lol the NLT version. Ok I know it is sometimes really inaccurate but I use it a lot of times because it’s easier to understand. But in my defense, lol, I do double check with ASV KJV and Greek translations also.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"ἀμεταμέλητος", "not to be repented of or regretted". The Greek knows nothing of "irrevocable".
Irrevocable is how the NASB translators rendered it.

If God gave it and will not repent, (change mind, go another way) then "irrevocable" is pretty descriptive of that. And Israel, Both New Covenant believing and traditional Jews, are still chosen, still the final arbiters of the interpretation of the Bible (Romans 3.2)
The CHURCH, and not Israel are the People of God.
Actually, both the Church AND Israel are the "people of God."

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But in my defense, lol, I do double check with ASV KJV and Greek translations also.
OK. But I would suggest your "go to" double check reference version to be the NASB.

Upvote 0

Alpha.Omega

Apr 17, 2018
BHill
✟12,308.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

many translations have theologically influences, like the KJV is Puritan, and is therefore "Calvinistic", likes its rendering of the Greek in Acts 2:47, "Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved". As if some were meant to be saved! The literal Greek in English is "those who were being saved". Big difference, which are those who were saved, were added to the Church of Jesus Christ.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Alpha.Omega

Apr 17, 2018
BHill
✟12,308.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Irrevocable is how the NASB translators rendered it.

If God gave it and will not repent, (change mind, go another way) then "irrevocable" is pretty descriptive of that. And Israel, Both New Covenant believing and traditional Jews, are still chosen, still the final arbiters of the interpretation of the Bible (Romans 3.2)

Actually, both the Church AND Israel are the "people of God."

My friend, the NASB, like others, are simply translations that have been made by a group of people, and don't always get things right, or render the original as they ought to.

"not to be repented of or regretted", Liddell and Scott, Greek-English lexicon

"not repented of, unregretted", Thayer, Greek-English lexicon

"not repented of, unregretted", Abbott-Smith, Greek-English lexicon

This is what the Bible says of ALL the saved, both Jews and Gentiles in the Church of Jesus Christ:

"But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light"

(1 Peter 2:9)

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think Dave-W is doing so. See post #67
Ahhhhhhh.

Well, others are explaining the truth to him. But you are quite right, I did skip right by that post.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
many translations are theologically influences, like the KJV is Puritan, and is therefore "Calvinistic", likes its rendering of the Greek in Acts 2:47, "Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved". As if some were meant to be saved! The literal Greek in English is "those who were being saved". Big difference, which are those who were saved, were added to the Church of Jesus Christ.

I’m really beginning to dislike theology. It tries to teach too many things that we as Christians don’t really need to worry about. If we just do what the Bible says we will be saved and let the rest work itself out. I think too many people worry about too many details that are not necessary to understand for salvation.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I’m really beginning to dislike theology. It tries to teach too many things that we as Christians don’t really need to worry about. If we just do what the Bible says we will be saved and let the rest work itself out. I think too many people worry about too many details that are not necessary to understand for salvation.
That is a very dangerous position to take.

It takes only a few minutes to hear the gospel, respond to it and be saved.

Theology is what guides the next 20-70 years of your life.
15-20 minutes versus 50 years.

Upvote 0

Alpha.Omega

Apr 17, 2018
BHill
✟12,308.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

If you are a believer in Jesus Christ, you really cannot dislike theology proper, which basically is The Study of God". Some of the "details" are very important, like showing from the Bible, that God is a Trinity, that Jesus is Almighty God, and so too is the Holy Spirit. that the Bible ALONE is the Infallible, Inerrant Word of God to the human race. that salvation is ONLY in the Lord Jesus Christ. That a sinner must "repent and believe" to be saved, etc, etc... All of this comes from indepth study of the Holy Bible, guided by God the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Alpha.Omega

Apr 17, 2018
BHill
✟12,308.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That is a very dangerous position to take.

It takes only a few minutes to hear the gospel, respond to it and be saved.

Theology is what guides the next 20-70 years of your life.
15-20 minutes versus 50 years.

but some "theology" can be very bad for you, and even soul damning!

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you are a believer in Jesus Christ, you really cannot dislike theology proper, which basically is The Study of God". Some of the "details" are very important, like showing from the Bible, that God is a Trinity, that Jesus is Almighty God, and so too is the Holy Spirit. that the Bible ALONE is the Infallible, Inerrant Word of God to the human race. that salvation is ONLY in the Lord Jesus Christ. That a sinner must "repent and believe" to be saved, etc, etc... All of this comes from indepth study of the Holy Bible, guided by God the Holy Spirit.

I disagree because all of that is specifically stated in the Bible.

Upvote 0