Does a Sinner Need to DO Anything to Get Saved?

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So the thief on the cross repented of his sins when he said he feared the wrath of God? Interesting. Is this something that naturally comes too a saved person? Like when I got saved I automatically knew what to say. I remember accepting Jesus as my Lord and Savior. I don't remember if I repented or not but, I probably did. Interesting.

Do you understand the definition of the word repent? Not to be offesive but many people actually don’t.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Actually the thief was able to do works.
In the NT, "works" is short for Works of the LAW. That which was required by the Mosaic covenant. Which of the 613 commands was the thief able to do?
First he confessed his sin then he proclaimed Jesus’ righteousness and asked for forgiveness.
Not works of the Law.
Also the Greek word for faith is pistis which also means faithfulness and fidelity which would imply dedication and obedience.
Also not works of the Law.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I remember accepting Jesus as my Lord and Savior. I don't remember if I repented or not but, I probably did. Interesting.
If you are unsure, watch this: (5 min)

I also suggest watching all of this one as well: (53 min)

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Do you understand the definition of the word repent? Not to be offesive but many people actually don’t.

Well when God repented he changed his mind. So I'm assuming biblical repentance is to change ones mind about sin? Like when we come to Christ for salvation we become deeply sorry for our sins and try to turn from our sins? Is that right?

Upvote 0

Alpha.Omega

Apr 17, 2018
BHill
✟12,308.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
They’re all verbs. Actions, even.

Reread the passage in Jonah chapter 3, where it clearly says that "God saw their WORKS" (KJV), which is NOT the same as "merit", but the fulfilling of the Command to repent by God Himself (see also Acts 17:30). Reformed theology has completely misunderstood what the Bible teaches, because they have a "system" that they must follow, and assume that the Bible agrees with it!

Upvote 0

Alpha.Omega

Apr 17, 2018
BHill
✟12,308.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Repentance is a change of life. A turning away from sin and turning to God. One could also argue that good works are a part of repentance.

One cannot argue that "good works are part of repentance". There can be NO "good works", that can ever contribute to a sinners salvation.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
If you are unsure, watch this: (5 min)

I also suggest watching all of this one as well: (53 min)

Judging by your first video of assume I did that when I first came to Jesus. I always ask Jesus in prayer to guide my life into the works and things he wants me to do. I try to put God first and do what I think God wants me to do. So yes I've repented at some point or another.

Upvote 0

Alpha.Omega

Apr 17, 2018
BHill
✟12,308.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes so what if that person doesn’t do good works? That is evidence that he has not repented (experienced metanoia)

Read the accounts of John the Baptist, who asked for evidence of good works for those who claimed to have been saved. This is exactly the argument used by James about salvation and good works. They should follow true repentance

Upvote 0

Alpha.Omega

Apr 17, 2018
BHill
✟12,308.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have a question. If repentance is required for salvation than why does all of Paul's letters and the gospel of John say that Faith is required for salvation? How come in John 6:29 Jesus said that the work of God is to "Believe in the one he has sent?" and how come when Paul and Silas were asked this very same question in the answer was "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved--you and your household."

and not believe and repent? Or believe and X other condition? No, they said that the requirement for salvation was to believe. I don't even by that it is a faith that works because Paul says in Romans 4:5 "However, to the one who does not work but trusts God who justifies the ungodly, their faith is credited as righteousness."

An example of someone getting saved without works in the Bible is the thief on the cross who not only didn't have the chance to repent from his sins or to do works at all. All he basically said was "Don't you fear the wrath of God? This man has done nothing wrong!" and "remember me when you come into your kingdom" and Jesus saved him right where he was.

I mean, I might believe that repentance from sins is required for salvation since it's taught in the majority of the church today, I just don't understand WHY. I also don't remember if I repented of my sins when I first came to Jesus 5 years ago. But, I see the evidence that the Holy Spirit lives within me and guides me every single day of my life. I know that I am saved, I just don't understand HOW.

Mark 1:15, God Incarnate, the Lord Jesus Christ, says very clearly to those who will listen, "REPENT and BELIEVE in the Gospel". And, in Luke 24:47, "REPENTANCE for the FORGIVENESS of sins is to be preached...". Acts 2:38, "REPENT", etc, etc. Are your arguing that the Lord Jesus is wrong?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Judging by your first video of assume I did that when I first came to Jesus. I always ask Jesus in prayer to guide my life into the works and things he wants me to do. I try to put God first and do what I think God wants me to do. So yes I've repented at some point or another.
Very good.

Now watch the 2nd for "the rest of the story." In fact, I would suggest finding Prince's current version of the "Foundation Series" in print. Read thru and digest each and every part, in order.

Foundational Truths for Christian Living: Everything You Need to Know to Live a Balanced, Spirit-Filled Life

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Alpha.Omega

Apr 17, 2018
BHill
✟12,308.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Um, yeah. It kind of does.

only to people like you, who do not understand the difference between the sinner OBEYING a Command, by God to REPENT, which has to be pre-salvation; and "Works of merit", which NO person can be saved by. Again I refer you to Jonah 3:10, where we read that the "turning from evil (sins)" to God, is called "WORKS". This is what the Bible teaches, never mine theology!

Upvote 0

Alpha.Omega

Apr 17, 2018
BHill
✟12,308.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Actually the thief was able to do works. First he confessed his sin then he proclaimed Jesus’ righteousness and asked for forgiveness. Also the Greek word for faith is pistis which also means faithfulness and fidelity which would imply dedication and obedience.

"Actually the thief was able to do works". the ONLY "works" that the thief of the cross DID, was his repenting of his sins, and acknowledgement of Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Alpha.Omega

Apr 17, 2018
BHill
✟12,308.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Repentance may start slowly for some in the beginning but with time it should be like our second cousin.

Sometimes I think my middle name should have been Repent.

Remember, as we grow in our faith we sin less but, our sin bothers us more, thus there comes in Repentance.

Is it not a daily thing for you?

M-Bob

but surely you must believe that a sinner first repent and believe to be saved? Neither can be post-salvation experiences/ (Mark 1:15; Luke 24:47)

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In the NT, "works" is short for Works of the LAW. That which was required by the Mosaic covenant. Which of the 613 commands was the thief able to do?

Not works of the Law.

Also not works of the Law.

I hadn’t noticed that. I thought there were good works which are good deeds. Thanks for correcting me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"Actually the thief was able to do works". the ONLY "works" that the thief of the cross DID, was his repenting of his sins, and acknowledgement of Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour.

He also rebuked the others who were criticizing Jesus. I’m not sure but I think that could also be considered a good deed.

Upvote 0

Alpha.Omega

Apr 17, 2018
BHill
✟12,308.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Jesus Christ gives the best definition for "repent", when He says in Luke 24:47, "Repentance FOR the forgiveness of sins..." (best Greek textual evidence)., where the Greek preposition, εἰς, has the meaning, "towards". Repentance results in the forgiveness of sins, without which, no sinner can be saved!

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
hadn’t noticed that. I thought there were good works which are good deeds.
Yeah - that is what happens when we try to read an ancient text from a modern viewpoint and mindset. Often we get the entirely wrong idea of what is being said.
Thanks for correcting me.
You are welcome.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yeah - that is what happens when we try to read an ancient text from a modern viewpoint and mindset. Often we get the entirely wrong idea of what is being said.

You are welcome.

I have recently began to study the Greek and Hebrew words and definitions. I agree there are many bad translations from the original text to English.

Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jesus Christ gives the best definition for "repent", when He says in Luke 24:47, "Repentance FOR the forgiveness of sins..." (best Greek textual evidence)., where the Greek preposition, εἰς, has the meaning, "towards". Repentance results in the forgiveness of sins, without which, no sinner can be saved!
Except HE was not speaking Greek. He would have been using the Aramaic equivalent to Teshuva, (repentance) which simply means to turn around and go back the way you came.

Upvote 0