Does a Sinner Need to DO Anything to Get Saved?

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
There are some who are teaching a false view on salvation, that is based on their theological bias, and has nothing to do with the teachings found in the Holy Bible, which should be our final Authority on all matters.

It is argued, that the sinner has nothing that they have "to do", to be saved. It is wrongly supposed, that, for anyone to "do" anything, it is the same as "working for their salvation". This, of course is complete nonsense, and is refuted by many passages from Scripture, from which I have provided a few examples. It is also falsely argued, that the sinner does not even need to "repent" of their sins, BEFORE they can be saved, and that "regeneration" is not the same as "salvation". These teachings are in direct opposition with what the Holy Bible teaches, and no doubt the work of the enemy, who has deceived some into a "false gospel", leading to a "false salvation".

It is very clear to those who seek to know the truth as taught in the Bible, that the first sermon preached by Peter, on the Day of Pentecost, resulted in many "turning" from their sins, to the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ. After Peter had finished preaching, we are told that the people were "cut to the heart" (Acts 2:37), which is being "convicted" by the preaching under the power of God the Holy Spirit. These people who were "convicted", said to Peter, "what shall we DO?", which is an "action". Peter replied, that they should "REPENT", in the first place, and then after this, to get "baptized" (2:38). In the following chapter, we read, "REPENT therefore and be converted, for the blotting out of your sins" (3:19). It is clear that REPENTANCE leads to "forgiveness of sins". This is also clearly taught by Jesus Christ, where we read in Luke:-1-5, that, "unless you REPENT, you will all likewise perish". Again, before His Ascension, the Lord commanded His Disciples, that "REPENTANCE for the forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in his name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem.”. Some again wrongly hold that "repentance" is no more than "changing one's mind" on their view of Jesus Christ, and does not involve any notion of "sorrow of personal sins". Scripture is very clear that this is not true!

In the account of the Rich Young Ruler, we read,

“And someone came to Him and said, “Teacher, what good thing shall I DO that I may obtain eternal life?”” (Matthew 19:16)

If what this person said to Jesus was "theologically wrong", as some suppose, do you not think that Jesus would have corrected him? Surely He would have said, there is nothing that you need to DO. But, this is not the case!

A very good example can be found in the Book of Jonah, which is one of the best accounts in the Bible on Evangelism, and the Greatness of God's Love and Mercy. Here is a nation that is very sinful and wicked, and great enemies of the Jews, which is the main reason why Jonah sis not want to take the Gospel Message to them. They were not even the "elect" of God, which was the Nation Israel. And, YET, God, Who is RICH in MERCY (unlike some today!) sent is Prophet to warn them of the coming punishment, IF they did not "REPENT", and turn to the Lord for His Mercy and forgiveness! When Jonah finally did give them the Gospel Message, the reaction of these people is truly wonderful.

"Then the people of Nineveh believed in God; and they called a fast and put on sackcloth from the greatest to the least of them. When the word reached the king of Nineveh, he arose from his throne, laid aside his robe from him, covered himself with sackcloth and sat on the ashes. He issued a proclamation and it said, “In Nineveh by the decree of the king and his nobles: Do not let man, beast, herd, or flock taste a thing. Do not let them eat or drink water. But both man and beast must be covered with sackcloth; and let men call on God earnestly that each may turn from his wicked way and from the violence which is in his hands. Who knows, God may turn and relent and withdraw His burning anger so that we will not perish.”When God saw their deeds, that they turned (repented) from their wicked way, then God relented concerning the calamity which He had declared He would bring upon them. And He did not do it.” (Jonah 3:5-10)

It is important to note, that it says, "God saw their DEEDS", or, as some versions read, "WORK". But, this is NOT the "work to earn" that is being referred to here. Rather, as it goes on to say, "that they turned from their wicked way", that is, "REPENTED", which the Bible very clearly calls here, a WORK! This is very clearly in connection with salvation from sins. Some have sought to "get around" this account, by suggesting that it has nothing to do with "salvation", but only showing God's kindness and care for this nation! WOW, what depths some sink to to disregard the Word of God"!

I will give a couple more examples from Scripture, which is very clear that ALL sinners must DO something to get saved, which is to REPENT and BELIEVE, which is what Jesus says in Mark 1:15.

““Now, therefore,” says the Lord, “Turn to Me with all your heart (repent), With fasting, with weeping, and with mourning.” So rend your heart, and not your garments; Return to the Lord your God, For He is gracious and merciful, Slow to anger, and of great kindness; And He relents from doing harm. Who knows if He will turn and relent, And leave a blessing behind Him” (Joel 2:12-14)

“ But if a wicked man turns from all his sins (repents) which he has committed, keeps all My statutes, and does what is lawful and right, he shall surely live; he shall not die. None of the transgressions which he has committed shall be remembered against him; because of the righteousness which he has done, he shall live. Do I have any pleasure at all that the wicked should die?” says the Lord God, “and not that he should turn from his ways and live?(repents)... Again, when a wicked man turns away from the wickedness (repents) which he committed, and does what is lawful and right, he preserves himself alive.” (Ezekiel 18:21-23, 27)

Can ANY honest, unbiased, believer in the Lord Jesus Christ, deny, in the face of such Bible Testimony, that REPENTANCE and FAITH, are pre-requirements for ALL sinners who want salvation in the Lord Jesus Christ? We must not forget, that without the working of the Holy Spirit in the heart of the sinner, before they are saved, where He convicts them of their sins, and points them to the Lord Jesus Christ, as their personal Saviour. As we read in John 16.

“But now I am going to Him who sent Me; and none of you asks Me, ‘Where are You going?’ But because I have said these things to you, sorrow has filled your heart. But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you.And He, when He comes, will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment; concerning sin, because they do not believe in Me; and concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father and you no longer see Me; and concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world has been judged." (5-11)

Ad Dei Gloriam
Here’s what John said:

For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16 RSV

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟873,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not sure where you got your def from, but the Hebrew teshuva does not have anything to do with feeling anything, including remorse or regret. It simply means to turn around and go the other way. It is a decision concerning outward action. It is based on the root word shub, which means "turn."

Yes, it is different than Metanoin, the Greek word, which means to change your mind.

And it came to pass, when Pharaoh had let the people go, that God led them not through the way of the land of the Philistines, although that was near; for God said, Lest peradventure the people repent when they see war, and they return to Egypt:

repent

H5162

Lemma:

נָחַם

Transliteration:

nâcham

Pronounce:

naw-kham'

Part of Speech:

Verb

Language:

heb

Description:

1) to be sorry, console oneself, repent, regret, comfort, be comforted a) (Niphal)

1) to be sorry, be moved to pity, have compassion

2) to be sorry, rue, suffer grief, repent

3) to comfort oneself, be comforted

4) to comfort oneself, ease oneself b) (Piel) to comfort, console c) (Pual) to be comforted, be consoled d) (Hithpael)

1) to be sorry, have compassion

2) to rue, repent of

3) to comfort oneself, be comforted

4) to ease oneself

Grammar:

a primitive root; properly, to sigh, i.e. breathe strongly; by implication, to be sorry, i.e. (in a favorable sense) to pity, console or (reflexively) rue; or (unfavorably) to avenge (oneself); comfort (self), ease (one's self), repent(-er,-ing, self).

Occurrences in Bible:

Occurrences in Verses:

KJV usage:

comfort (57x), repent (41x), comforter (9x), ease (1x).

Upvote 0

Alpha.Omega

Apr 17, 2018
BHill
✟12,308.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Here’s what John said:

For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16 RSV

And, here is what Jesus Himself says: " and saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe in the gospel"

Which is right? first? second? or both?

Upvote 0

Alpha.Omega

Apr 17, 2018
BHill
✟12,308.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have no idea how that impacts anyone who died under the Mosaic covenant.

Jesus Christ is the"Lamb slain before the foundation of the world" (Revelation 13:8). And His is the ONLY sacrifice that really counts, as it ALONE can Atone for sins. ALL that OT sacrifices are a "shadow" of the reality which is the Death of Jesus on the cross, which was also for the sins of those in the OT.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Alpha.Omega

Apr 17, 2018
BHill
✟12,308.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Of course I can say that. The writers of the NT, no matter which language they actually wrote in, were native Hebrew and/or Aramaic speakers and thinkers. Even the best NT Greek scholars will tell you the grammar and word order is better suited to someone doing a word by word translation from Aramaic rather than someone fluent in Greek.

even Dr Luke? You are stretching it a bit!

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Everyone's salvation to resurrection and eternal life is dependent on the blood of Jesus, whether he died before or after Jesus.
Say some biblical interpretations.

Our Lord said His Blood was of the NEW Covenant; not the Mosaic covenant.
So I do not agree with that interpretation.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jesus Christ is the"Lamb slain before the foundation of the world" (Revelation 13:8). And His is the ONLY sacrifice that really counts, as it ALONE can Atone for sins. ALL that OT sacrifices are a "shadow" of the reality which is the Death of Jesus on the cross, which was also for the sins of those in the OT.
A post-Bar Kochba Christian invention. I do not agree.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
And, here is what Jesus Himself says: " and saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe in the gospel"

Which is right? first? second? or both?
I look at it as a two-part process. We get ourselves into messes, and the Lord rescues us. However, we need to repent if we want to enter heaven. I often quote Matthew 4:17.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Alpha.Omega

Apr 17, 2018
BHill
✟12,308.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I look at it as a two-part process. We get ourselves into messes, and the Lord rescues us. However, we need to repent if we want to enter heaven. I often quote Matthew 4:17.

And Jesus says that the sinner must first repent to obtain forgiveness without which you cannot be born again

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Everyone's salvation to resurrection and eternal life is dependent on the blood of Jesus, whether he died before or after Jesus.
I haven’t seen anybody state the contrary in this thread.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟873,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

That’s very interesting thank you for sharing that.

Hebrews 10:10

10 in the which will we are having been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once,

10 ἐν (By) G1722 Prep ᾧ (this) G3739 RelPro-DNS θελήματι (will) G2307 N-DNS ἡγιασμένοι (sanctified) G37 V-RPM/P-NMP ἐσμὲν (are) G1510 V-PI-1P διὰ (through) G1223 Prep τῆς (the) G3588 Art-GFS προσφορᾶς (offering) G4376 N-GFS τοῦ (the) G3588 Art-GNS σώματος (body) G4983 N-GNS Ἰησοῦ (Jesus) G2424 N-GMS Χριστοῦ (Christ) G5547 N-GMS ἐφάπαξ (once) G2178 Adv

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟873,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

But look at the Greek word and definition for the word once.

By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

once

G2178

Lemma:

ἐφάπαξ

Transliteration:

ephápax

Pronounce:

ef-ap'-ax

Part of Speech:

Adverb

Language:

greek

Description:

1) once, at once a) all at once b) once for all

Grammar:

from ἐπί and ἅπαξ; upon one occasion (only):--(at) once (for all).

Occurrences in Bible:

Occurrences in Verses:

KJV usage:

once (5x).

Upvote 0