Does a GLOBAL FLOOD truly seem like the BEST explanation for seashells on mountains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=monument+valley+erosional+remnants&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=oqxNUYO2Aa3qiQKyv4CYAQ&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1236&bih=748

monument valley which is composed of a lot of sandstone, has a lot of remnants that are left over from water erosion.

also ship rock in new mexico, not even sandstone. A good example of a remnant in the middle of nowhere, where local flooding is not typical.

https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=ship+rock+erosional+remnants&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=g69NUcm_LsHNiwKgnYDABQ&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1236&bih=748

Upvote 0

RickG

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 1, 2011
Georgia
✟83,873.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
actually another innacuracy on your part,

look up erosional remnants

they are caused by floods, not weathering.

No inaccuracy, not on my part, I am quite familiar with the study of geomorphology. You need to specify they type of erosional remnant, not just use the word all inclusive. True some erosional remnants are due to flooding, however, those remnants at devils tower are not due to flooding. They are due to chemical weathering and erosion. Devils tower is an igneous formation which was intruded into the surround sedimentary structural layers. Because the sedimentary layers are less durable than the igneous intrusion they weather much quicker leaving the more durable igneous rock exposed. There are no flood debris or sediments of any kind around devil's tower.

because of the fact there was not enough time for the erosion to complete. Or, they were resistant to so called "weathering." Which is why they remain.

I have no idea what you mean by not enough time.

check out this def of erosional remnants:

Erosion Remnant

a topographic feature that remains after a highland region has been destroyed by exogenic factors. Three types of erosion remnants are distinguished: (1) degradation remnants, which are composed of rocks resistant to weathering and denudation; (2) mesas, which are table mountains that are the remaining parts of an earlier plateau; and (3) meander cores, which form when a river breaks through the neck of an incised meander and isolates a meander lobe.

None of those are due to a single flood event.

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
however, those remnants at devils tower are not due to flooding. They are due to chemical weathering and erosion. .

Devils tower is an igneous formation which was intruded into the surround sedimentary structural layers.

yes this is arbitrary information
Because the sedimentary layers are less durable than the igneous intrusion they weather much quicker leaving the more durable igneous rock exposed. There are no flood debris or sediments of any kind around devil's tower

Yes, this is common knowledge, and found in any travelors quide to federal state parks etc. But I must say, I take exception to the red herring fallacy you have commited. In providing irrelevant material to the conclusion-(that this was not caused by a flood), you provide facts of irrelevancy (current erosional properties). Seconldy, No one so far has rejected the idea that these rock formations are igneous, nor that the sedimentary layers are currently being eroded by rain, wind, ice, snow, trees, chemical reactions from roots, etc. This again is a red herring fallacy (I believe, and) to distract the audience from the main issue. (the duration of erosion, as the main evidence for a cataclysmic rapid erosion, I.E global flood). See argumentum ad populum as well, as it may apply. Notice that many times in debates when a particular perspective has no contributing premises anymore, or supporting facts, they will resort to a certian amount of word fillers(time wasters.) In order to fill in the time gap during the debate, where they lack real factual support, or have exausted theirs. I am not saying that you ARE doing this. But it would seem so. You typically have used terminology not as a means of relaying true information, but as a means of commiting a fallacy of an appeal to authority of sorts. I do this too, but it is dishonest in debate. It is best to define terms implicitly and not as a result of showing off vocabulary to distinguish ones authority of lack of authority. Simply knowing terminology does not in fact prove ones authority. It may simply mean that one may like reading dictionaries in his spare time.

I have no idea what you mean by not enough time.

for lack of more time to explain let me quote a random article of no consequence just to bring this conversation up to par:

below from creationontheweb.com

Devils Tower is dated at
over 50 Ma and supposedly has been subjected to erosion
for millions of years. Why hasn't erosion reduced Devils
Tower down to a small igneous knob by now? There have
been millions of freeze-thaw cycles over the 50 million year
period in eastern Wyoming to loosen the rock. On the other
hand, if the igneous rock is so resistant, is there enough
talus at the base of Devils Tower to account for millions of
years of erosion, similar to what is seen on the Colorado
Plateau?

above from creationontheweb.com
http://creationontheweb.com/images/pdfs/tj/j10_2/j10_2_258-278.pdf

in other words, for the millions of years of erosion history, there is very little evidence of "talus" or "fallen rock debris" at the base of the monument. The only possible answer to this is according to the national park pamphlet "the river carried them away". However I noticed that the slope of the ground going away from the monument is a 20% grade for about a thousand foot, falls off a short bluff then goes a few hundred more feet on relatively 0-5% grade before it hits the closest river access (more than 1200 feet horozontally from the rock fall area). Thats almost a quarter mile of rolling through trees, amongst which several hundred feet are zero grade!. Exhibit A: Notice in the pictures that the rocks of devils tower are all within a hundred feet or so of the base.

imgres

here is just one picture of the rock in question:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.ruralimagecoop.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Devils-Tower.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.ruralimagecoop.org/tag/devils-tower/&h=475&w=708&sz=73&tbnid=gKABdtVrtIThOM:&tbnh=91&tbnw=136&zoom=1&usg=__KFnO_ZPqmjzMCdqigTJF9lpo79s=&docid=gmncrQOfhe7ZtM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=2ktOUdGACqj9iwLjmIHwAw&ved=0CGEQ9QEwBw&dur=687

It is relatively impossible for a rock to fly over trees on a 20% grade, down a bluff, pick of momentum to roll another 300-350 feet all on its own into a river, once again to be swept by the fierce waters down stream. Which is it's own absurd gesture that I will not get into.

I am suggesting the rocks will fall where they may, namely at the base of the monument, not 1300' removed. (I have a topo map of the area if you are interested in the amount of feet from the drop zone to the nearest river entrance.

None of those are due to a single flood event.
Another innacuracy, you premise that no mesas, meander cores, and degradation remnants can be caused/due to a single flood is
Right off the cuff "steamboat rock" in washington is one mesa that was due to a single "flood event." I am sure there are more.

This would be another violation of fallacy (begging the question, i.e. fallacy of assumptions). Your argument quoted above "begs the question" since the single flood event mentioned is very subject in question.

here are some more informal fallacies of beggin the question: Of course they have nothing to do with our discussion but simply for a FYI

the below is a clip from answers in genesis: a trust worthy conservative site for intelligent design debate:

“Creation cannot be true because you would have to ignore all that scientific evidence.”

But this argument begs the question because it presupposes that scientific evidence somehow provides support for evolution, which has not been demonstrated.

“It makes no sense to deny evolution; it is a well-established fact of nature.”

This argument also begs the question since the truth status of evolution is the very question at issue.

Christians are not always above circular reasoning either. Some have argued,

“The Bible must be the Word of God because it says it is. And what it says must be true, since God cannot lie.”

Of course, it is quite true that the Bible does claim to be the Word of God, and it is also true that God does not lie. But when one of these statements is used as the sole support for the other, the argument commits the fallacy of begging the question. The same line of argumentation could be used to “prove” the Koran, which of course we would deny.

Now, it’s time to get a little philosophically deep. Brace yourself. Begging the question is a very strange fallacy because it is actually valid. Recall that a valid argument is one in which the conclusion does follow from the premises. Normally fallacies are not valid; the fact that their conclusion does not follow from the premise(s) is what makes them fallacies. But, oddly, with begging the question the conclusion does follow from the premise (because it is simply a restatement of the premise). So, the argument, “Evolution must be true because it is a fact,” is valid. But if it is valid, then why is it considered a fallacy?

The answer would seem to be that begging the question is a fallacy because it is arbitrary. Circular arguments of this kind are not useful because anyone who denies the conclusion would also deny the premise (since the conclusion is essentially the same as the premise). So, the argument, “Evolution must be true because it is a fact,” while technically valid, is fallacious because the arguer has merely assumed what he is trying to prove. Arbitrary assumptions are not to be used in logical reasoning because we could equally well assume the exact opposite. It would be just as legitimate to argue, “Evolution cannot be true because it is false.”

It should also be noted that there are certain special cases where circular reasoning is unavoidable and not necessarily fallacious. Remember that begging the question is not invalid; it is considered fallacious because it is arbitrary. But what if it were not arbitrary? There are some situations where the conclusion of an argument must be assumed at the outset, but is not arbitrary.2 Here is an example:

Without laws of logic, we could not make an argument.
We can make an argument.
Therefore, there must be laws of logic.

This argument is perfectly reasonable, and valid. But it is subtly circular. This argument is using a law of logic called modus tollens to prove that there are laws of logic. So, we have tacitly assumed what we are trying to prove. But it is absolutely unavoidable in this case. We must use laws of logic to prove anything—even the existence of laws of logic.

However, the above argument is not arbitrary. We do have a good reason for assuming laws of logic, since without them we couldn’t prove anything. And perhaps most significantly, anyone attempting to disprove the existence of laws of logic would have to first assume that laws of logic do exist in order to make the argument. He would refute himself.

Most of the examples of circular reasoning used by evolutionists are of the fallacious begging-the-question variety—they are arbitrary. Consider the evolutionist who argues:

“The Bible cannot be correct because it says that stars were created in a single day; but we now know that it takes millions of years for stars to form.”

By assuming that stars form over millions of years, the critic has taken for granted that they were not supernaturally created. He has tacitly assumed the Bible is wrong in his attempt to argue that the Bible is wrong; he has begged the question. Another example is:

“We know evolution must have happened, because we are here!”

This argument begs the question, since the way we got here is the very point in question.

Watch for arguments that subtly presume (in an arbitrary way) what the critic is attempting to prove. In particular, evolutionists will often take for granted the assumptions of naturalism, uniformitarianism, strict empiricism (the notion that all truth claims are answered by observation and experimentation), and sometimes evolution itself. But, of course, these are the very claims at issue. When an evolutionist takes these things for granted, he is not giving a good logical reason for his position; he is simply arbitrarily asserting his position."

above clip from:

Logical Fallacies: The Fallacy of Begging the Question - Answers in Genesis

or yet another fallacy: below from creationmoments.com

" A very common example of this comes in the form of, "There wasn't enough water in the Biblical Flood to cover all the mountains" or "Where did all the water go?"

What they are asserting is that there wasn't enough water to cover the present-day mountains. This is fallacious because they are presuming evolutionary time scales for the rates of the mountains forming – that is, millions of years. This means that the mountains we have today would have been nearly identical in height just 4,500 years ago at the time of the Flood. This is begging the question because the premise of their argument assumes long ages are true in order to argue that long ages are true (and, thus, that the Flood could not have happened).

If, as creationists say, the mountains we have today formed rapidly, starting during the Flood, then there is no problem with the amount of water we have today covering the Earth. Thus, the Flood account only seems inconsistent if you don't use all of the Flood model's premises. Taken together, the Flood model explains consistently the evidence we have in the geologic record.

above clip from
LOGICAL FALLACIES OF EVOLUTION 101: BEGGING THE QUESTION | Creation Moments

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RickG

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 1, 2011
Georgia
✟83,873.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
yes this is arbitrary information

Yes, this is common knowledge, and found in any travelors quide to federal state parks etc. But I must say, I take exception to the red herring fallacy you have commited. In providing irrelevant material to the conclusion-(that this was not caused by a flood), you provide facts of irrelevancy (current erosional properties). Seconldy, No one so far has rejected the idea that these rock formations are igneous, nor that the sedimentary layers are currently being eroded by rain, wind, ice, snow, trees, chemical reactions from roots, etc. This again is a red herring fallacy (I believe, and) to distract the audience from the main issue. (the duration of erosion, as the main evidence for a cataclysmic rapid erosion, I.E global flood). See argumentum ad populum as well, as it may apply. Notice that many times in debates when a particular perspective has no contributing premises anymore, or supporting facts, they will resort to a certian amount of word fillers(time wasters.) In order to fill in the time gap during the debate, where they lack real factual support, or have exausted theirs. I am not saying that you ARE doing this. But it would seem so. You typically have used terminology not as a means of relaying true information, but as a means of commiting a fallacy of an appeal to authority of sorts. I do this too, but it is dishonest in debate. It is best to define terms implicitly and not as a result of showing off vocabulary to distinguish ones authority of lack of authority. Simply knowing terminology does not in fact prove ones authority. It may simply mean that one may like reading dictionaries in his spare time.

for lack of more time to explain let me quote a random article of no consequence just to bring this conversation up to par:

below from creationontheweb.com

Devils Tower is dated at
over 50 Ma and supposedly has been subjected to erosion
for millions of years. Why hasn't erosion reduced Devils
Tower down to a small igneous knob by now? There have
been millions of freeze-thaw cycles over the 50 million year
period in eastern Wyoming to loosen the rock. On the other
hand, if the igneous rock is so resistant, is there enough
talus at the base of Devils Tower to account for millions of
years of erosion, similar to what is seen on the Colorado
Plateau?

above from creationontheweb.com
http://creationontheweb.com/images/pdfs/tj/j10_2/j10_2_258-278.pdf

in other words, for the millions of years of erosion history, there is very little evidence of "talus" or "fallen rock debris" at the base of the monument. The only possible answer to this is according to the national park pamphlet "the river carried them away". However I noticed that the slope of the ground going away from the monument is a 20% grade for about a thousand foot, falls off a short bluff then goes a few hundred more feet on relatively 0-5% grade before it hits the closest river access (more than 1200 feet horozontally from the rock fall area). Thats almost a quarter mile of rolling through trees, amongst which several hundred feet are zero grade!. Exhibit A: Notice in the pictures that the rocks of devils tower are all within a hundred feet or so of the base.

imgres

here is just one picture of the rock in question:

Google Image Result for http://www.ruralimagecoop.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Devils-Tower.jpg

It is relatively impossible for a rock to fly over trees on a 20% grade, down a bluff, pick of momentum to roll another 300-350 feet all on its own into a river, once again to be swept by the fierce waters down stream. Which is it's own absurd gesture that I will not get into.

I am suggesting the rocks will fall where they may, namely at the base of the monument, not 1300' removed. (I have a topo map of the area if you are interested in the amount of feet from the drop zone to the nearest river entrance.

Another innacuracy, you premise that no mesas, meander cores, and degradation remnants can be caused/due to a single flood is
Right off the cuff "steamboat rock" in washington is one mesa that was due to a single "flood event." I am sure there are more.

This would be another violation of fallacy (begging the question, i.e. fallacy of assumptions). Your argument quoted above "begs the question" since the single flood event mentioned is very subject in question.

here are some more informal fallacies of beggin the question: Of course they have nothing to do with our discussion but simply for a FYI

the below is a clip from answers in genesis: a trust worthy conservative site for intelligent design debate:

“Creation cannot be true because you would have to ignore all that scientific evidence.”

But this argument begs the question because it presupposes that scientific evidence somehow provides support for evolution, which has not been demonstrated.

“It makes no sense to deny evolution; it is a well-established fact of nature.”

This argument also begs the question since the truth status of evolution is the very question at issue.

Christians are not always above circular reasoning either. Some have argued,

“The Bible must be the Word of God because it says it is. And what it says must be true, since God cannot lie.”

Of course, it is quite true that the Bible does claim to be the Word of God, and it is also true that God does not lie. But when one of these statements is used as the sole support for the other, the argument commits the fallacy of begging the question. The same line of argumentation could be used to “prove” the Koran, which of course we would deny.

Now, it’s time to get a little philosophically deep. Brace yourself. Begging the question is a very strange fallacy because it is actually valid. Recall that a valid argument is one in which the conclusion does follow from the premises. Normally fallacies are not valid; the fact that their conclusion does not follow from the premise(s) is what makes them fallacies. But, oddly, with begging the question the conclusion does follow from the premise (because it is simply a restatement of the premise). So, the argument, “Evolution must be true because it is a fact,” is valid. But if it is valid, then why is it considered a fallacy?

The answer would seem to be that begging the question is a fallacy because it is arbitrary. Circular arguments of this kind are not useful because anyone who denies the conclusion would also deny the premise (since the conclusion is essentially the same as the premise). So, the argument, “Evolution must be true because it is a fact,” while technically valid, is fallacious because the arguer has merely assumed what he is trying to prove. Arbitrary assumptions are not to be used in logical reasoning because we could equally well assume the exact opposite. It would be just as legitimate to argue, “Evolution cannot be true because it is false.”

It should also be noted that there are certain special cases where circular reasoning is unavoidable and not necessarily fallacious. Remember that begging the question is not invalid; it is considered fallacious because it is arbitrary. But what if it were not arbitrary? There are some situations where the conclusion of an argument must be assumed at the outset, but is not arbitrary.2 Here is an example:

Without laws of logic, we could not make an argument.
We can make an argument.
Therefore, there must be laws of logic.

This argument is perfectly reasonable, and valid. But it is subtly circular. This argument is using a law of logic called modus tollens to prove that there are laws of logic. So, we have tacitly assumed what we are trying to prove. But it is absolutely unavoidable in this case. We must use laws of logic to prove anything—even the existence of laws of logic.

However, the above argument is not arbitrary. We do have a good reason for assuming laws of logic, since without them we couldn’t prove anything. And perhaps most significantly, anyone attempting to disprove the existence of laws of logic would have to first assume that laws of logic do exist in order to make the argument. He would refute himself.

Most of the examples of circular reasoning used by evolutionists are of the fallacious begging-the-question variety—they are arbitrary. Consider the evolutionist who argues:

“The Bible cannot be correct because it says that stars were created in a single day; but we now know that it takes millions of years for stars to form.”

By assuming that stars form over millions of years, the critic has taken for granted that they were not supernaturally created. He has tacitly assumed the Bible is wrong in his attempt to argue that the Bible is wrong; he has begged the question. Another example is:

“We know evolution must have happened, because we are here!”

This argument begs the question, since the way we got here is the very point in question.

Watch for arguments that subtly presume (in an arbitrary way) what the critic is attempting to prove. In particular, evolutionists will often take for granted the assumptions of naturalism, uniformitarianism, strict empiricism (the notion that all truth claims are answered by observation and experimentation), and sometimes evolution itself. But, of course, these are the very claims at issue. When an evolutionist takes these things for granted, he is not giving a good logical reason for his position; he is simply arbitrarily asserting his position."

above clip from:

Logical Fallacies: The Fallacy of Begging the Question - Answers in Genesis

or yet another fallacy: below from creationmoments.com

" A very common example of this comes in the form of, "There wasn't enough water in the Biblical Flood to cover all the mountains" or "Where did all the water go?"

What they are asserting is that there wasn't enough water to cover the present-day mountains. This is fallacious because they are presuming evolutionary time scales for the rates of the mountains forming – that is, millions of years. This means that the mountains we have today would have been nearly identical in height just 4,500 years ago at the time of the Flood. This is begging the question because the premise of their argument assumes long ages are true in order to argue that long ages are true (and, thus, that the Flood could not have happened).

If, as creationists say, the mountains we have today formed rapidly, starting during the Flood, then there is no problem with the amount of water we have today covering the Earth. Thus, the Flood account only seems inconsistent if you don't use all of the Flood model's premises. Taken together, the Flood model explains consistently the evidence we have in the geologic record.

above clip from
LOGICAL FALLACIES OF EVOLUTION 101: BEGGING THE QUESTION | Creation Moments

God I hate trolls and the unwillingness of the CF moderators to do anything about them.

Grady, you don't know crap about geology
. You are nothing more than a troll trying to get unfavorable reactions out of who ever you can. all you are doing is making good Christians look stupid.

Well you got your wish.

GOOD BY GRADY AND GOOD BYE CF, I AM THROUGH.

MODERATORS, PLEASE DELETE MY PROFILE, I SHALL NOT RETURN. THE CF SCIENCE FORUMS DO NOTHING BUT MAKE CHRISTIANS LOOK STUPID BECAUSE MODERATION HERE IS A JOKE. YOU DO NOT ENFORCE THE RULES TO KEEP PEOPLE ON TOPIC AND ALLOW TROLLS TO RUN FREELY. I HAVE ZERO TOLERANCE FOR THAT.

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God I hate trolls and the unwillingness of the CF moderators to do anything about them.

. You are nothing more than a troll trying to get unfavorable reactions out of who ever you can. all you are doing is making good Christians look stupid.

Well you got your wish.

GOOD BY GRADY AND GOOD BYE CF, I AM THROUGH.

MODERATORS, PLEASE DELETE MY PROFILE, I SHALL NOT RETURN. THE CF SCIENCE FORUMS DO NOTHING BUT MAKE CHRISTIANS LOOK STUPID BECAUSE MODERATION HERE IS A JOKE. YOU DO NOT ENFORCE THE RULES TO KEEP PEOPLE ON TOPIC AND ALLOW TROLLS TO RUN FREELY. I HAVE ZERO TOLERANCE FOR THAT.

Well I thank you for the discussion, if you desire we can talk more by messaging me, and I will give you my personal email to further talk about this. I do not want to appear to be unsensitive, however there can be some sort of loss of emotions when it comes to debate, so it may falsly appear to be insensitive by nature, but that is just the nature of debate. If you would desire one on one chat, just email. I hope you change your mind about CF. There are diverse views and many different beliefs, it is important not to take things too personal if someone disagrees. It is nothing against you personally. Both my sisters are die hard athiestic evolutionists, and I love and care for both of them unconditionally. As you, my fellow colleage. I hope you do not hold my views against me. I don't hold yours against you.

anyway ttyl

I hope you have a change of heart regarding this matter.

Upvote 0

Mr Strawberry

Jan 20, 2012
Great Britain
✟12,542.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
THE CF SCIENCE FORUMS DO NOTHING BUT MAKE CHRISTIANS LOOK STUPID

This is sadly true. On the other hand this does have the advantage of giving lurkers and those who haven't nailed their colours to creationism food for thought.

BECAUSE MODERATION HERE IS A JOKE.

In fairness, I assume that people willing to volunteer their time to be moderators on a Christian forum where hardcore creationism seems to be the order of the day are more likely to have their sympathies lying in that direction rather than on the side of those desiring a reasoned scientific discussion about a set topic, which it is more than likely the moderators have never been involved in themselves, wouldn't recognise if they saw it or know anything about anyway. This is probably why hardcore creationists write here rather than on scientific forums where, I assume, the moderators would be much more strict with them.

Having said that, I too hope you have change of heart, RickG. I enjoy your posts.

Upvote 0

FanofYECWATCH

Mar 23, 2013
✟128.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Well you got your wish.

I came here to CF after reading an essay by another "CF refugee" who lamented the dismal science-ignorance on this forum. I had to see for myself.

It isn't simply that the creationists here are ignorant of basic science. It is that they are arrogant in that ignorance and think themselves well informed, simply by quoting from creation science website nonsense.

The harm to the Kingdom of Jesus Christ is enormous. They no doubt think that they are defending the Bible. In fact they are defending their own ignorance of the Bible and of the world God created.

This visit to CF has been very depressing. I will look around a bit more just for my own curiosity but I could not handle more than a brief dosing of the trolling and ignorance that RickG has so aptly described. (When I read in the editorial that creationists here were claiming that Noah's flood got drained to Neptune and that Noah lived in New Jersey, I thought that had to be a joke. No wonder the world thinks we Christians are childish fools who want to impose our fantasies on the public schools.)

So, RickG, I think you have made a wise decision for the sake of your own mental health.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
(When I read in the editorial that creationists here were claiming that Noah's flood got drained to Neptune and that Noah lived in New Jersey, I thought that had to be a joke. No wonder the world thinks we Christians are childish fools who want to impose our fantasies on the public schools.)
I would love to be able to debate Noah living anywhere but in [what is now] New Jersey on the John Ankerberg show with any one of you guys who think it's a crackpot theory.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

toolmanjantzi

Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 1, 2013
Sundridge, Ontario
✟49,722.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
RickG said:
Yes, typical shoreline marine deposits, not in any way comparable to flood deposits. You must also take into account of the many layers of strata and their age.

How old are the shells; that science dates?

Upvote 0

toolmanjantzi

Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 1, 2013
Sundridge, Ontario
✟49,722.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
oldwiseguy said:
Suspension and deposition of different stuff varies widely depending on the velocity of the water. Fragile layers laid down could be washed away by the receding flood waters. I don't see how uniform deposition evidence is even possible given the nature and size of that great flood.

A good example of this is the Cook Inlet in Alaska. Tidewater forced up the inlet causes near Class 5 rapids in the central channel while the mud flats near the shore show little evidence of being deeply flooded twice each day.

To date no 'flood model' of Noah's flood has ever been constructed. Too bad, it would really be interesting.

As stated before how would you contain the water?

Upvote 0

toolmanjantzi

Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 1, 2013
Sundridge, Ontario
✟49,722.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Strathos said:
The difference is that the fossils found on mountaintops are arranged to show an undersea ecosystem and animals living like they would in their normal environment underwater, not scattered haphazardly and violently like they would be in a flood.

Why would it be violent on the top of a mountain?

Upvote 0

toolmanjantzi

Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 1, 2013
Sundridge, Ontario
✟49,722.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Loudmouth said:
Are those beaches made out of hundreds of feet of fossil bearing limestone from a single year of deposition?

How does a flood put fossils into the MIDDLE of moutains. That is the real question.

One strata at a time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

toolmanjantzi

Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 1, 2013
Sundridge, Ontario
✟49,722.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Subduction Zone said:
If there was a worldwide flood there would be a thin veneer of fossils around the world.

That is not what we see. We see coral reefs thousands of feet thick. Since the vertical growth of coral beds alone is a fraction of an inch a year there alone many millions of years are represented.

Maybe when the continents separated after the flood the land swallowed the evidence. Earthquakes and landslides do cover things up.

Upvote 0

toolmanjantzi

Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 1, 2013
Sundridge, Ontario
✟49,722.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Subduction Zone said:
Why shouldn't we ridicule YEC's for their beliefs?

How would you treat an adult who insisted that there was an Easter Bunny? Would you respect his beliefs? Seriously?

Do you have kids? Did you talk about Easter bunnies, Santa Claus and reindeer?

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In fairness, I assume that people willing to volunteer their time to be moderators on a Christian forum where hardcore creationism seems to be the order of the day are more likely to have their sympathies lying in that direction rather than on the side of those desiring a reasoned scientific discussion about a set topic, which it is more than likely the moderators have never been involved in themselves, wouldn't recognise if they saw it or know anything about anyway. This is probably why hardcore creationists write here rather than on scientific forums where, I assume, the moderators would be much more strict with them.
Having said that, I too hope you have change of heart, RickG. I enjoy your posts.

It would be innacurate to assume all or most moderators are YEC, when OEC is a very popular standpoint at the moment in christiandom, especially amongst predominantly liberal congregations. Any search at ARIS report.com or Galluppoll.com will conclude that there is only a 11-12% difference between evolutionists and YIC (or ID) amongst religionists (in which a Christian forum is based opon).

Secondly your comment distinguishing "here" (i.e. CF) and "scientific forums" supposes that Christian forums is "less" scientific than other forums. And resultingly moderators at (so called) "scientific" forums would feel the need to crack down on those less scientific. There are several problems with this premise. (and thank you for the comment). I disagree that CF moderators are more lenient with those of similiar dispute, if anything christians are to "exhort one another as we see the day approaching" as recommended in the Holy Scriptures. It has been my experience to see comments moderated and Rude Christians removed from the forums under suspension (pending improvment). By nature Christianity is stricter with those of similiar tastes than with those who are of a different belief pattern (where Christians are to be patient, apt to teach, and to be gentle with). Christians hold each other to a higher standard than to those of different beliefs, or are supposed to.

Thirdly like I said, "hardcore creationism" is not "the order of the day." I believe it is the secularization of the youth of today. For example you say that "hard core creationists" are not "scientific" enough. However I say that hard core scientists are too "secular" and do not attend religious services frequently enough. So there is a conflict of interest and opinion.

Is it that christians are not scientific enough?

Or is it that scientists are not dedicated enough to spiritual things? (too secular).

there are two links I want to show in conclusion:

exibit A: reveals a church dropout among college age people- “various denominations have estimated that between 65% and 94% of their high school students stop attending church after they graduate.”
above quote from:
College Transition Initiative: 65% of High School Students Stop Attending Church After They Graduate

it's even worse among the post grads

exibit B: shows the support for evolution among those who are considered post grad/scientists is in the 95%-99% percentile.

An expert in the evolution-creationism controversy, professor and author Brian Alters, states that "99.9 percent of scientists accept evolution".[28] A 1991 Gallup poll of Americans found that about 5% of scientists (including those with training outside biology) identified themselves as creationists.[29][30]

exhibit D: a general study on percent of creationists to evolutionists (generalized terms)
In U.S., 46% Hold Creationist View of Human Origins

in conclusion:

there is a false dicotomy between secular scientific creationists and religious scientific evolutionists. Both beg the question as to what entails "scientific".

Merely stating that 95-99% of scientists are evolutionists doesn't qualify the remaining 1-5% as unscientific. Because agian that would beg the question as to what science was. Rather the logical approach in this debate is to state what defines science, as science. (rather than using the fallacy of Argumentum ad populum). The fallacy of the general consensus as to what the majority of peer review articles hold to and not the presence of lesser known ID creationist peer review articles which exist in the dozens currently.

So if peer review is not the basis for this discussion on "science" perhaps it is the use of the "scientific method."

again ID/creationists also use the scientific method in their studies on the age of the earth, and the flood geology. Here is a sample exerpt of the scientific methodology of ID and some creationists as well.

"Scientists then perform experimental tests upon natural objects to determine if they contain complex and specified information(CSI). One easily testable form of CSI is irreducible complexity, which can be tested and discovered by experimentally reverse-engineering biological structures through genetic knockout experiments to determine if they require all of their parts to function. Mutational sensitivity tests can also be used to identify high CSI in proteins and other biological structures."

above excerpt from:
More on How We Can Know Intelligent Design Is Science - Evolution News & Views

if you desire there are links to several dozen Peer Review articles regarding CSI and ID scientific methods. I can message them to you if needed.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.