• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Does a GLOBAL FLOOD truly seem like the BEST explanation for seashells on mountains?

Discussion in 'Creation & Evolution' started by ThouShaltNotPoe, Mar 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThouShaltNotPoe

ThouShaltNotPoe Learn whatever I can.

+2
    Christian
    Private
    I'm always amazed when young earth creationists tell me that this is OBVIOUSLY a "proof" of Noah's Flood. But I would really like to know if that sounds like "common sense" to anyone.

I've also wondered this: Does it seem likely that a FLOOD would leave behind the same kind of environment as an ancient ocean or lake?

Also, if these observation and evidence are "obvious", why are young earth creationists never able to use that evidence to identify THE GEOLOGIC STRATA OF THE GLOBAL FLOOD?
    That is, if the flood evidence is easy to see, why can't the strata location be named so that I know where I can find the flood evidence wherever I happen to be in the world?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. AV1611VET

AV1611VET BELIEVE IN MIRACLES Supporter

+42,005
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Baiting, are we?

Your title says "on mountains," but what you really want to do is debate "in the earth," don't you?

3. RickG

RickG Senior Veteran Supporter

+1,393
    Presbyterian
    Married
    I have yet to see a single creationist describe what actual flood deposits consist of.

4. AV1611VET

+42,005
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    I wonder why.

5. Eight Foot Manchild

Eight Foot Manchild His Supreme Holy Correctfulness

+1,315
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    I don't. I know exactly why.

6. RickG

+1,393
    Presbyterian
    Married
    I'm not surprised. ^_^

7. Strathos

Strathos No one important

+6,262
    Christian
    Single
    US-Democrat
    What most people presenting this argument tend to ignore is that floods don't deposit things on mountains, they deposit them in the valleys, which would have happen in Noah's flood as the waters receded.

8. KWCrazy

KWCrazy Newbie

+1,970
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    You've obviously never seen a beach at low tide, have you?

9. RickG

+1,393
    Presbyterian
    Married
    Yes, typical shoreline marine deposits, not in any way comparable to flood deposits. You must also take into account of the many layers of strata and their age.

10. OldWiseGuy

OldWiseGuy Wake me when it's soup. Supporter

+10,399
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Suspension and deposition of different stuff varies widely depending on the velocity of the water. Fragile layers laid down could be washed away by the receding flood waters. I don't see how uniform deposition evidence is even possible given the nature and size of that great flood.

A good example of this is the Cook Inlet in Alaska. Tidewater forced up the inlet causes near Class 5 rapids in the central channel while the mud flats near the shore show little evidence of being deeply flooded twice each day.

To date no 'flood model' of Noah's flood has ever been constructed. Too bad, it would really be interesting.

11. RickG

+1,393
    Presbyterian
    Married
    First, they need to show a unique layer of flood sediments that are seen globally all of the same age. Where is this "Noah" formation?

12. ThouShaltNotPoe

+2
    Christian
    Private
    Originally Posted by Strathos [​IMG]
    What most people presenting this argument tend to ignore is that floods don't deposit things on mountains, they deposit them in the valleys, which would have happen in Noah's flood as the waters receded.

Astounding. What an incredibly illogical and irrelevant response---unless he is actually trying to AGREE with Strathos.

(KWCrazy cogitates in an alternate reality.)

13. ThouShaltNotPoe

+2
    Christian
    Private
  14. RickG

+1,393
    Presbyterian
    Married
    No, it is debating a topic concerning science. There are some people who seem to believe that seashells on mountains are evidence of a flood. What those people are lacking is an understanding of geologic process, in particular plate tectonics. I would think that people who are lacking in such education and understanding would be open to learning about this and how the scientific community arrived at those conclusions.

Would you like to make a contribution or ask a question concerning the science involved?

15. AV1611VET

+42,005
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    I'll ask a question.

What's the difference in how a mountain ornamented with sea shells would look, if the mountain rose up from below, as opposed to water receding?

Some see sea shells and say the water went down; others see sea shells and say the mountain rose up.

What's the difference?

16. Strathos

Strathos No one important

+6,262
    Christian
    Single
    US-Democrat
    The difference is that the fossils found on mountaintops are arranged to show an undersea ecosystem and animals living like they would in their normal environment underwater, not scattered haphazardly and violently like they would be in a flood.

17. AV1611VET

+42,005
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    I don't believe that.

It takes millions of years for mountains to form, and a mountain sporting seashells at its top would be improbable.

As its peak rose out of the water and began its ascent, erosion would play a factor as well.

18. TheBear

TheBear NON-WOKED

+1,771
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
    More importantly, you don't understand it ... which is why you don't believe it ... an argument from personal incredulity.

How do you know that? More importantly, how does that square with your 'embedded age' model?

19. Tomk80

Tomk80 Titleless

+384
    Agnostic
    well, in a way AV is correct. The seashells are part of the mountains, they are not "on" the mountains, as if they are lying on top of it.

However, Young Earth Creationists generally phrase the questions as "seashells on mountains", so in that sense "ThouShaltNotPoe"'s question is completely correct.

20. Loudmouth

Loudmouth Contributor

+5,953
    Agnostic
    Are those beaches made out of hundreds of feet of fossil bearing limestone from a single year of deposition?

How does a flood put fossils into the MIDDLE of moutains. That is the real question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.