Do you think it's wrong to get drunk, regardless of circumstance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris414

Nov 9, 2005
✟15,737.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Hi there. I know there are lots of Christians out there who believe that it's wrong to get drunk, no matter who you're getting drunk with / where you're getting drunk / the regularity of it. And there also those who believe there's nothing wrong with getting drunk. I'm interested to hear if there are any people who sit in between, who believe that in some circumstances it is okay to get drunk while others not. [ Please no debate on whether it's acceptable to drink alcohol ]

Okay so here's a hypothetical situation:
Would it be acceptable for you and your wife (let's say she is also a Christian and is someone you trust with your life and more) to get drunk in your own home when there is no one around just for the heck of it? Would you see this as being different from getting drunk at a big party?

Thoughts anyone?

cyberlizard

the electric lizard returns
Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,065.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
being drunk is not the issue... it is what being drunk leads to... therefore it is better not to get drunk... that said, believers were admonished not to turn up for the agape meal drunk, if they wanted to get drunk, they should do so at home.

i do not think it is a black and white issue.

Steve

Reactions: Jpark
Upvote 0
M

MamaZ

Hi there. I know there are lots of Christians out there who believe that it's wrong to get drunk, no matter who you're getting drunk with / where you're getting drunk / the regularity of it. And there also those who believe there's nothing wrong with getting drunk. I'm interested to hear if there are any people who sit in between, who believe that in some circumstances it is okay to get drunk while others not. [ Please no debate on whether it's acceptable to drink alcohol ]

Would it be acceptable for you and your wife (let's say she is also a Christian and is someone you trust with your life and more) to get drunk in your own home when there is no one around just for the heck of it? Would you see this as being different from getting drunk at a big party?

Thoughts anyone?
Does the scriptures teach us that drunkeness is of the flesh only when done outside the home?

Upvote 0

Cribstyl

Veteran
Jun 13, 2006
✟99,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Alcohol is addictive and it impairs your judgment.

Dont let your freedom cause you to be easily enslaved by the enemy.

If you want gleeful excitement get filled with the Holy Spirit.

Eph 5:18And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;

Upvote 0

simonthezealot

have you not read,what God has spoken unto you?
Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Eph 5:18And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;
Yes sin in general is addictive, in that it allows you to cave in to the desires of the flesh rather than the spirit.

Reactions: DD2008
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟869,142.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

That's a good saying.
------
Even if scripture explicity said "It's okay to get drunk", I know I still couldn't do it, because after a certain point, I become "transformed by the 'spirits'", i.e., I become a jerk. :) But I don't concern myself with what others do, that's between them and God.

Upvote 0

ezek33

Jan 6, 2009
✟15,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Thoughts anyone?
No it is not O.K.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Meshavrischika

for Thy greater honor and glory
Jun 12, 2007
OK
✟43,103.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I don't see being drunk as anything but loosing your inhibitions... i.e. the releasing of things ALREADY THERE... so, IMO... if you got bad stuff there... it's been there. I have no issue with getting drunk because I'm not worried about doing anything because I don't have anything hiding in me waiting to come out. Is that true for everyone? nope...

Upvote 0

Evergreen48

Aug 24, 2006
✟17,819.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Thoughts anyone?

Do I think it is wrong to get drunk regardless of the circumstances?

YEP.

And especially in the circumstance you described with the man and his wife who are supposed to be Christians. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about since I have never been drunk in my whole life, (I tasted some beer once . . . . arrrggghhh) and my spouse has not touched a drop since we were married over 50 years ago, but I can't understand for the life of me why a Christian couple would want to do such a thing as that. :confused:

Reactions: DD2008
Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Good post.

Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Alcohol is very addictive and dangerous. It can steal your life.

I advise if you are going to play and seek amusment, that you don't play with your mind. It is far to precious to destroy.
Agreed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I've always wondered why loss of equilibrium, vomiting, headaches, degrading of self control, foolish behaviour and lowering of your defenses against other forms of temptation appeals to people.
We were all young once :D

Upvote 0

Evergreen48

Aug 24, 2006
✟17,819.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've always wondered why loss of equilibrium, vomiting, headaches, degrading of self control, foolish behaviour and lowering of your defenses against other forms of temptation appeals to people.

In many cases I think the desire to forget one's problems, or to even temporarily ease their inner pain and turmoil, outweighs the misery which they know is going to follow a drinking bout.

Upvote 0

TankGirl

I'm normal, it's everyone else who's stiff
Nov 4, 2002
Stroud
Visit site
✟8,381.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Maybe this is a cultural thing. Maybe I'm not understanding your definition of "drunk"...
I think it is sinful to get drunk by the definition I understand, regardless of circumstances. I do not in anyway consider it a sin at all to *drink*, as I cannot see that position being supported by Scripture.

My husband & I share a bottle of good wine a couple of times a week, which leads to nothing more than a relaxing evening, and improves our general health.

And while alcohol can certainly have the potential for addiction (as can anything), it's certainly not the case for the vast majority of people who drink.

Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Some people have a genetic predispostion toward abusing alchohol, something about the sins of the fathers, etc.

But these folks, I've known many, don't get sloppy and are able to seemingly "hold it together" for quite some time and one would not readily know they're struggling and enslaved.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.