Do you think Christians sin? If so, what common unconfessed sins do you think Jesus forgives?

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I hear you. Be patient, for in the future I will prove myself; I just don't need to prove myself right now. Who I am should not anger you, as my conscious is clear before my Almighty, Powerful God who loves me.
Who you are or what you say doesn’t anger me in the least. We don’t know each other well enough for that. You are a stranger to me, frankly speaking.

I’ve heard Christians claim their conscience was clear after devastating others. Might mean the conscious is not very sensitive to the God who loves people in hell. That God loves anyone by no means infers they are not guilty of wrong.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I guess I just don’t think of how much sin or how few sins do this. It’s a foreign concept.

It should. If we do not accept the truth that one grievous sin can separate us from God, we can deceive ourselves into thinking we can do it all the time and or we can teach others wrongfully that they can sin and still be saved. You also have to think that if God condemns one act of a murder in the OT (Numbers 35:16-18), logic dictates that He has not changed in this regards; And He hasn't!!!! 1 John 3:15 says NO murderer has eternal life abiding in them. Again, a person can repent, and wash away their sin of murder in God's eyes. But this is only if they repent or confess their sin. Why do you think David confessed his sins in Psalms 51? Did it sound like he was just seeking to restore fellowship with him not making a big deal out of his sins of adultery and murder? Surely not. David was seeking to be restored back to salvation again and be forgiven again by God. Psalms 51 was a prayer of salvation.

A prayer of a loss of fellowship while someone is still saved would go something like this:

"Yeah, God, I know I sinned against you and I know I am still saved, but please come back to me so we can fellowship again. I know I shouldn't have messed up like that, and I know I am still saved and forgiven, but please come back."

When I read Psalms 51, I get no impression of anything like this.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I guess I just don’t think of how much sin or how few sins do this. It’s a foreign concept.

In Acts of the Apostles 8:22, Simon was told by Peter to repent of his one time act of wickedness in trying to pay for the Spirit. Peter did not say, "Hey Simon, don't worry. You are still saved because you only did one sin. But you should pray to restore your fellowship with God." Is that what Peter said? No. Most certainly not. Peter told Simon to repent by praying to God in the hope that he may be forgiven. That he MAY be forgiven. Simon needed to be forgiven again. His one time act of wickedness separated him from God. Peter was telling him to confess to God this sin so as to be saved again!

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Let's use this concept with the example of a child. Now, lets say you tell a child that they are saved if they do a particular sin just once and it would take them lots of sin in order to become unsaved in God's eyes. Imagine if this child grew up to think they can do evil only on occasion or 1-2 times in their life time as being okay with God with them not feeling sorry about it (with no need to confess it to God with a Godly sorrow). Imagine, if you will that they may think they can murder maybe once or twice and get away with it in God's eyes (while feeling no remorse or no need to say they are sorry to God about it because they got their salvation locked in). I would say this is a serious problem because it is teaching this child that God's grace is a license for immorality or a license to sin on some level.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,200.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you think Christians sin?
If so, what common unconfessed sins do you think Jesus forgives?

For example: Do you think lying, or cursing, or inappropriate content (lusting), hating, coveting are automatically covered by the blood of Jesus by having a belief alone on Him?

This seems to presume that a "sin" is merely an item on a list of "though shalt nots."

Rather than sin being the overall, daily, continual failure to be doing with each day what the Lord determined we should be doing with each day in furtherance of the mission of His Body and the enlargement of His Kingdom.

The task is not merely to avoid losing the talent, it's to turn over a profit to the master. There is no reward for merely giving back the talent we originally got.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This seems to presume that a "sin" is merely an item on a list of "though shalt nots."

Well, I have been doing a study on the commands for quite some time now in the New Testament (not the Old because the Old is not the binding contract we are under - Romans 7:6, although there is good in the Old if one uses it lawfully - 1 Timothy 1:8); But I am fully aware that the NT commands is not just a list of "thou shalt nots." There are also things like: "This do, and you shall live," too (See Luke 10:25-28) (Which is just another way in part of including the "Thou shalt nots" because Paul says the keeping of the Moral Law is in loving your neighbor, - See: Romans 13:8-10). Not helping the poor in this life can also cause a loss of salvation (See: Matthew 25:31-46). Not preaching or spreading the gospel in some way in this life is also a loss of salvation (See: Luke 9:62).

But not all sins are the same. There are minor transgressions of faults that do not cause a loss of salvation (i.e. The command to be baptized, the command to rejoice when we are persecuted, etc.). Granted, we should not encourage or give a reason to anyone to disobey God or the Lord in anything concerning the commands given to us by Jesus and His followers. We strive to do ALL of what the Lord commands of us.

Rather than sin being the overall, daily, continual failure to be doing with each day what the Lord determined we should be doing with each day in furtherance of the mission of His Body and the enlargement of His Kingdom.

The task is not merely to avoid losing the talent, it's to turn over a profit to the master. There is no reward for merely giving back the talent we originally got.

I agree that we have to be profitable by spreading the good news of salvation. But that does give us a free pass to ignore other grievous sins that can destroy our souls. Proverbs 6:32 says that a person who commits adultery destroys their own soul. 1 John 3:15 says to hate your brother is to be like a murderer and no murderer has eternal life abiding in them. A person can hate their brother either in their words or their deeds (actions).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,913.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
we can deceive ourselves into thinking we can do it all the time

Why though? What would compel the Christian to go this route over an attitude of repentance? This is a slippery slope.

Upvote 0

Solomon Smith

Sep 25, 2018
Idaho
✟8,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Do you think Christians sin?
If so, what common unconfessed sins do you think Jesus forgives?

For example: Do you think lying, or cursing, or inappropriate content (lusting), hating, coveting are automatically covered by the blood of Jesus by having a belief alone on Him?

Jesus forgives all sin when we put our faith in him and confess.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,952.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, my friend. This sounds like a double message to me (as many others teach).

Hand #1. - On the one hand you say that we are not 100% saved by grace, if we love sin more than God Jesus will spit us out of his mouth.

Hand #2. - Yet, on the other hand you say that we are not saved by what they do or do not do.​

This is a contradiction.

If a person loves their sin, they will seek to justify it and say they are not saved by anything they do. If a person loves Jesus (GOD), they will keep His commandments (John 14:15). For if we are to abide in His love, we have to keep His commandments (John 15:10). Abiding in God's love is not a one time event. We have to continue in his love (John 15:9).

The message of grace is not a double message. Salvation must be by grace, not by what we do or do not do, for we all can not live up to the requirement of the law. It must be by grace so it is sure to all seed, there are no maybes with salvation, the message is sure, fixed, immovable, while we trust in Christ to justify us we are justified.

Rom 4:15-16 For the law brings wrath, but where there is no law there is no transgression. That is why it depends on faith, in order that the promise may rest on grace and be guaranteed to all his offspring—not only to the adherent of the law but also to the one who shares the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all,

But sin brings about death, if we persist in sin, not heeding the Spirit, we will eventually slip away from grace. Grace is like swimming, while we have it we keep our heads above the waves of eternal death. Sin is like adding weights to us, it begins to make us sink. If we do not remove the sin, it may well make us drown.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why though? What would compel the Christian to go this route over an attitude of repentance? This is a slippery slope.

The Bible says the heart is deceitful and God’s people are destroyed for lack of knowledge.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus forgives all sin when we put our faith in him and confess.

Confessing of sin (1 John 1:9) is in context to forsaking sin (or walking in the light, - 1 John 1:7; Note: Walking in the light is loving your brother, See: 1 John 2:9-10). One way of loving your neighbor is the equivalent of keeping the Moral Law (See Romans 13:8-10). Also see Proverbs 28:13 and Matthew 12:41 cf. with Jonah 3:6-10.

• Agree
Reactions: Solomon Smith
Upvote 0

Billy Evmur

Brother
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2018
London
Visit site
✟83,771.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Bible says the heart is deceitful and God’s people are destroyed for lack of knowledge.

Your lack of knowledge of the cross? that it is once for ever. If that don't work bro better start offering up sheep and goats.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Thess

Oct 31, 2018
Chelan
✟19,864.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Hope not. You don’t answer questions.

I'm not your enemy, but I see that you are not on my side, making yourself my enemy....and I didn't commit a single sin against you. You are extremely deep in the Matrix, where you know not what you are doing or saying. Hardened hearts is the extreme of the emotional matrix. May you wake up as soon as possible and recognize what is taking place and the opportunities you are squandaring.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The message of grace is not a double message.

Well, I believe in God's grace according to the Bible just fine. I just do not think the OSAS version or the Belief Alone version of God's grace is even remotely biblical and or moral (or good). The Bible's version of God's grace does not teach a double message because it says the grace of God teaches us to deny ungodliness and that we should live godly and righteously in this present world (See Titus 2:11-12). 1 John 1:7 says that if we walk in the light as He is in the light, the blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin. Walking in the light is loving your brother (1 John 2:9-10). One way to love your neighbor (brother) is the equivalent of keeping the Moral Law (like: Do not murder, do not steal, and do not covet, etc. - See: Romans 13:8-10). Hebrews 5:9 essentially says that Christ is the author of eternal salvation to all who OBEY Him. Hebrews 12:14 says without holiness, no man shall see the Lord. When certain believers faced Christ (Who did works in Christ's name) they were told to depart from Christ because they worked iniquity (sin) (See Matthew 7:23). We know that the unprofitable servant is cast into outer darkness (Matthew 25:30). But in the Eternal Security (OSAS or Once Saved Always Saved) camp, you can sin and still be saved; Yet, they also say that believers are to live holy. Yet, they also say they are always in some kind of sin of some kind according to a false interpretation on 1 John 1:8, and other verses. So the OSAS Proponent preaches a double message. For I have yet to encounter an OSAS Proponent who says that King David was not saved while committing his sins of adultery and murder.

You said:
Salvation must be by grace, not by what we do or do not do, for we all can not live up to the requirement of the law. It must be by grace so it is sure to all seed, there are no maybes with salvation, the message is sure, fixed, immovable, while we trust in Christ to justify us we are justified.

Rom 4:15-16 For the law brings wrath, but where there is no law there is no transgression. That is why it depends on faith, in order that the promise may rest on grace and be guaranteed to all his offspring—not only to the adherent of the law but also to the one who shares the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all,

Sorry. That is not how salvation works. In fact, unless you are a Calvinist, you believe that you had to do something to be saved. You believe that you had to receive (take action) by seeking the Lord's forgiveness over your sin. If a person did not partake in this one action or decision, then you believe that a person is not saved. They need to act so as to receive Christ for salvation.

As for Romans 4:15-16:

Paul is fighting against "Circumcision Salvationism" (Which was a form of Circumcision Salvationism that did not even apply in the Old Testament). Jews were trying to convince certain believers that they needed to be circumcised to be initially saved. But not even the Old Covenant taught that you first needed to be circumiced to be saved (See Romans 4:9-12). Abraham had to FIRST believe God in order to be saved. But this did not negate the fact that circumcision (ONLY under the Old Covenant when it was in effect at one time in the past) was also necessary for salvation (See Genesis 17:14). Abraham had to later be circumcised to be saved or he would have broke God's covenant.

Under the New Covenant or New Testament, we are not commanded to be circumcised. Jesus and His followers did not give us any command to be circumcised. This is why you will read Paul say things like, "What profit is there of circumcision?" (Romans 3:1). It's why he says, But neither Titus, who was with me, being a Greek, was compelled to be circumcised:” (Galatians 2:3). It's why Paul said, "...if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing." (Galatians 5:2). In fact, this matter is even more cleared up if you were to read the following words by the Jerusalem counsel. For they addressed the heresy of "Circumcision Salvationism."
  1. Acts of the Apostles 15:1 says, “And certain men which came down from Judaea taught the brethren, and said, Except ye be circumcised after the manner of Moses, ye cannot be saved.”

2. Acts of the Apostles 15:5 says, But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses.”

3. Acts of the Apostles 15:24 says, “Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment:”
You said:
But sin brings about death, if we persist in sin, not heeding the Spirit, we will eventually slip away from grace. Grace is like swimming, while we have it we keep our heads above the waves of eternal death. Sin is like adding weights to us, it begins to make us sink. If we do not remove the sin, it may well make us drown.

If sin can drag you down, and make you drown (implying spiritual death) then it is not by the OSAS version of God's grace. You have to do something to remove sin from your life so you don't drown. This is why the OSAS message that you are saying here is preaching a double message. On the one hand you say that it is solely by God's grace and yet you contradict yourself and say that you must remove sin otherwise that person can drown.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Your lack of knowledge of the cross? that it is once for ever. If that don't work bro better start offering up sheep and goats.

Well, I am not in disagreement with God's grace, friend.
I believe we are initially and ultimately saved by God's grace (Who is a person named Jesus Christ).
Without God's grace, we would all be doomed.
But God's grace is not a license to sin (Which is the envitable conclusion when somebody says Jesus pays for our future sin). Nowhere will you ever read about how Jesus paid for our future sins. God's grace does not teach ungodliness (i.e. that we can sin and still be saved). Titus 2:11-12 says that the grace of God teaches us to deny ungodliness and that we should live godly and righteously in this present world. Hebrews 5:9 essentially says that Christ is the author of eternal salvation to all who OBEY Him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
He died for our sins.

Not just 50% of them or past sins or those couple sins over there. All of them.

God gives victory over sin too, just ask and he will freely give.

The problem is that the foundation of the message of saying we are forgiven of all sin (including future sin) can lead a person to think they can sin and still be saved. Sure, you may say that no true believer will do that, but if you are not stressing that fact or point every time, then your message can accidently lead people to think the wrong thing and turn God's grace into a license to sin. In fact you more than likely believe that King David was saved while he committed his sins of adultery and murder. If this is so, then you are saying that they can be like a King David and commit murder and adultery and still be saved just like him. Oh, as long as they do these sins once and then later confess it, right? It's okay because this evil is done temporarily. Also, wouldn't God have to agree with sin in order to make a plan of salvation that makes for an allowance for grievous sin? This is why I have a problem with OSAS and or the belief that makes an allowance for grievous sin. It's neither Biblical and nor is it moral, either.

Upvote 0