Do you personally believe masturbation is a sin?

Do you personally believe masturbation is a sinful act?

• Yes, I do.

• No, I don't.

• I don't know/other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
It isn't sinful or immoral. It's no different from eating. It could be unwise if you do it too much though... like eating.

This is a topic I have had to try to grasp at times. I have to admit it is one I do try to leave alone. It raises issues of morality that I cannot get a firm conclusion regarding its write wrong status, however I am relieved when I am not having to think about it!

What possible reason could there be for it being sinful?

Of course it is a sin and it's surprising to see this even being discussed. Let's not try to find loopholes and keep our souls clean.

Why is it a sin? I don't find it obvious. No loopholes are needed because there is no good reason to think it is wrong.

When I say sin I mean immoral; if you mean something different, what do you mean?

It is morally bad.Most masturbation leads to unhealthy sexual relations.It's one of the devil's tools.The devil knows how to use our weaknesses against us.It's better we flee lest we fall into his trap.Romans 13:13-14 Let us walk properly as in the daytime,not in orgies and drunkeness,not in sexual immorality and sensuality,not in quarreling and jealousy.14 But put on the Lord Jesus Christ,and make no provision for the flesh,to gratify its desires.

It doesn't lead to unhealthy sexual relations though. It doesn't harm anyone, or yourself, so there is no way for the devil to use it against you.

Doing it too much could perhaps be unwise, but that is a different matter.

Upvote 0

Boris89

Apr 21, 2013
Bulgaria
✟15,425.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
if Its a sin Boris it might be good outline the reasons why with scriptural instruction why it is.

Why is it a sin? I don't find it obvious. No loopholes are needed because there is no good reason to think it is wrong.

It's an activity which includes useless spilling of seed and lustful feelings in the body. Be it with visualisations or not.

You could also check Ist Corinthians 6:9.

Upvote 0

Serendipity..

sǝɹǝupıdıʇʎ
May 23, 2011
✟8,715.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's an activity which includes useless spilling of seed and lustful feelings in the body. Be it with visualisations or not.

You could also check Ist Corinthians 6:9.
It doesn't refer to masturbation at all specifically there and it's quite specific about homosexuality but you might have to do some research into the original text language to get the specific meaning of the verse. It says sexually immoral and the remainder of the verse is dealing with sex in a couple situation with adultery mentioned. Personly I am not convinced its referring to masturbation and that you could read into it if you want to. Unless we know for sure it means that we probably shouldn't assume it does. It's no good declaring stuff immoral without concrete proof and we ned to have that.

Upvote 0

Boris89

Apr 21, 2013
Bulgaria
✟15,425.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It doesn't refer to masturbation at all specifically there and it's quite specific about homosexuality but you might have to do some research into the original text language to get the specific meaning of the verse. It says sexually immoral and the remainder of the verse is dealing with sex in a couple situation with adultery mentioned. Personly I am not convinced its referring to masturbation and that you could read into it if you want to. Unless we know for sure it means that we probably shouldn't assume it does. It's no good declaring stuff immoral without concrete proof and we ned to have that.

The Bible clearly doesn't say anywhere that dendrophillia is a sin. Should a Christian have sex with trees then? The issue is not about "proof", it's about looking for an excuse.
How many Christian monks and nuns have practised masturbation? How many saints? How does masturbation fit in the spirit of Christ and His teachings? Not in any possible way imaginable. If you want to learn the Christian way of life, take a look at the Eastern Orthodox church which has not altered it's teachings since it was founded by the Apostles. Sola scriptura alone will get you nowhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: Erth
Upvote 0

Serendipity..

sǝɹǝupıdıʇʎ
May 23, 2011
✟8,715.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Bible clearly doesn't say anywhere that dendrophillia is a sin. Should a Christian have sex with trees then? The issue is not about "proof", it's about looking for an excuse.
How many Christian monks and nuns have practised masturbation? How many saints? How does masturbation fit in the spirit of Christ and His teachings? Not in any possible way imaginable. If you want to learn the Christian way of life, take a look at the Eastern Orthodox church which has not altered it's teachings since it was founded by the Apostles. Take a look at the writings of the early church fathers. Sola scriptura alone will get you nowhere.
Unfortunately I hear advice in Christian circles that came from something someone else said who heard it from someone else who heard it from someone else they hoped was accurate. Relying on what you hear from others is never good enough alone and must concur with what the bible says is right. The authors if the bible we're charged with giving us a message.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,322.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Purely an opinion poll.

Discussions that used to occur at church got really heated about this issue (without argument involved, it was just explicitly against the act). I'm interested what CF members think about it.

Two considerations I have about it.

One: What thoughts are in my mind as I do it? Maybe if I haven't had an [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] in six months, I could touch thinking of daffodils, but if I make a regular practice of it, my thoughts are probably not of daffodils and are probably not the thoughts that the Holy Spirit abiding within me wants to be dragged through. Who am I thinking of? Is it my wife? Is it my wife as she really is--'cause if she's acting like a inappropriate content star in my masturbatory fantasy, that's not my wife--I'm committing adultery in my heart with someone else. As a Christian, just remember that the Holy Spirit is there with you, and you are supposed to have the mind of Christ. Do the thoughts leading to habitual masturbation align with the mind of Christ?

Two: "Is it a sin?" is the wrong question for a Christian to ask. Christians are supposed to have the mind of Christ in order to discern the will of God. "All things are permissible for me"--that means I'm not governed by a written code --- "But not all things are beneficical or edifying"--I must apply the mind of Christ to every choice to determine what is the will of God. Is masturbation edifying to the spirit of a Christian?

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Does its practice lead us towards self control or enslavement to a habit that is unbreakable in our own strength?
I am sure that there is a sad story to tell about those who are 'enslaved' to masturbation but that is not the norm. Young babies will touch instinctively. Are they being sinful? Are they enslaved? No. It is nothing but a 'good feeling' and there is nothing sinful about this.

Upvote 0

Boris89

Apr 21, 2013
Bulgaria
✟15,425.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Can anyone give us non-believers a valid reason why you consider it to be "wrong" other than "the bible say so"?
A more appropriate question would be: why are people readily looking for answers anywhere else but the Bible and Sacred tradition?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

super animator

Dreamer
Mar 25, 2009
✟134,615.00
Faith
Agnostic
A more appropriate question would be: why are people readily looking for answers anywhere else but the Bible and Sacred tradition?
In case you didn't notice, your in society section and not the Christians only section. You don't look answers in other religion text books, because you don't share the same faith so us non-Christians don't look the answer in the bible, because we don't share the same faith.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Boris89

Apr 21, 2013
Bulgaria
✟15,425.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In case you didn't notice, your in society section and not the Christians only section. You don't look answers in other religion text books, because you don't share the same faith so us non-Christians don't look the answer in the bible, because we don't share the same faith.
Yet you have registered in a Christian forum so expecting a Christian view on some issue should be expected.

Because not everyone who believes in sin believes that tradition and the Bible are infallible. 90% of US Catholics have no problem with birth control, for example.
Why do give me this link? I suppose you are trying to tell me that since the majority has accepted something that makes it Christian? However I thank you for giving me this information. I didn't know things were that tragic.

Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Yet you have registered in a Christian forum so expecting a Christian view on some issue should be expected.

Even some Christians don't have the same views as others.

Example: I have yet to find evidence in the Bible that supports the idea that masturbation is a sin in itself (I see where lust is, but not this).

But others may have found verses that do in fact condemn the act.

Why do give me this link? I suppose you are trying to tell me that since the majority has accepted something that makes it Christian? However I thank you for giving me this information. I didn't know things were that tragic.

I think they were showing exactly what I just stated- Some Christians (in this case Catholics) don't agree with what others of the same label do.

No problem with that at all :3

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
That might be appropriate to a Christian, but entirely useless to an Atheist - which is what super animator basically pointed out.

Upvote 0

Erth

The last(?!) unapologetic Christian
Oct 28, 2011
Sverige
✟16,294.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Masturbation is a sin.
  • Babies touching their genitals is not comparable to grown ups gratifying themselves sexually, for several reasons. For one, babies have not reached sexual maturity.
  • Sola scriptura leads nowhere on this issue as on so many other issues. If you think that you are doing well interpreting the Bible on your own, then you are fooling yourself. (Boris made this point already.)
  • It is not about evidence, but about finding excuses, indeed. (Boris's point again.) The Bible does not say that we as Christians cannot eat feces, but it does say that we cannot eat blood and food that was sacrificed to false gods. Does this mean that it is appropriate for Christians to eat feces? In my opinion it does not mean that. Same thing with masturbation.

Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
  • Babies touching their genitals is not comparable to grown ups gratifying themselves sexually, for several reasons. For one, babies have not reached sexual maturity.

Edit: Ah nevermind, I found the post that said that. Must have missed it during my reading.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Can anyone give us non-believers a valid reason why you consider it to be "wrong" other than "the bible say so"?

Using it as a crutch for life, maybe?

That isn't exactly saying the act is wrong, though. Moreso the reason for the act.

Upvote 0

Boris89

Apr 21, 2013
Bulgaria
✟15,425.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
KitKatMatt and Skavau
The thing is, back in the days there was no "my truth, your truth", no moral relativism. There was one objective truth that was Christ. Moral relativism is a new phenomenon and as of now we're reaping all it's "benefits". To a person who has embraced this view a Christian usually sounds totalitarian which is probably the case with me when I'm saying this.

Erth, just to add something, interpreting the Bible was done by the Church fathers which were people on a far greater spiritual level than we will ever be. Today it's hard to understand even them, but we just don't realise how deformed our brain is from things like TV, PC games, modern "music" and so on. Choosing to read the saints closest to the times you live in is the only reasonable way of proceeding. St. Theophanes the Recluse and St. Ignatius Bryanchaninov are a good example.

Reactions: Erth
Upvote 0