Do you personally believe masturbation is a sin?

Do you personally believe masturbation is a sinful act?

• Yes, I do.

• No, I don't.

• I don't know/other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
KitKatMatt and Skavau
The thing is, back in the days there was no "my truth, your truth", no moral relativism.
No, we just had slavery, racial apartheid, oppression towards homosexuals and widespread institutional sexism (which still exist to varying degrees across the world) and a whole host of other obviously contemptible practices and standards. The idea that some mythical historical paradise once existed and no longer does is pure fantasy.

In addition, I am not even speaking of "my truth, your truth" nor moral relativism. I am pointing out the obvious: That assertions about how to behave from Christian scripture have no relevance to an Atheist.

There was one objective truth that was Christ.
No, there was an *increased consensus* in specific nations that "Christ was". There certainly was though disagreements, dissent and even skirmishes amongst practitioners of this "Christ" about precisely what Christ was and what he wanted. Those feuds and disagreements amongst Christians still persist today.

Moral relativism is a new phenomenon and as of now we're reaping all it's "benefits".
Moral Relativism has its flaws in the dismissal of human rights abuses in other cultures. I though, suspect that it not what you're referring to.

To a person who has embraced this view a Christian usually sounds totalitarian which is probably the case with me when I'm saying this.
Well, so long as you notice your flaws.

Today it's hard to understand even them, but we just don't realise how deformed our brain is from things like TV, PC games, modern "music" and so on.[/quote[
I say this with no irony whatsoever, but the internet and its backlog of information enables people, if they so choose to freely and easily increase their knowledge and remove their biases. I would wager, and I am not exaggerating that we are probably living in the most knowledgeable age of humanity.

Also, lol on "modern music and TV". I suspect you've not been keeping up or looking well enough to know a fraction of what you've missed.

Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
KitKatMatt and Skavau
The thing is, back in the days there was no "my truth, your truth", no moral relativism. There was one objective truth that was Christ. Moral relativism is a new phenomenon and as of now we're reaping all it's "benefits". To a person who has embraced this view a Christian usually sounds totalitarian which is probably the case with me when I'm saying this.

I'm sure there were dissentions in the past as well from established church teachings. How they were handled and whether people gave it up as "my truth, your truth" I do not claim to know.

You sound much stricter, but that's ok :) Maybe falling back onto the moral relativism thing, but believe what you wish to believe, and I will do the same.

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
It's an activity which includes useless spilling of seed

Well with guys. It doesn't matter if some cells die. They are just some cells which weren't going to be used anyway.

and lustful feelings in the body. Be it with visualisations or not

So? Lust isn't immoral. It doesn't harm anyone.

Upvote 0

intojoy

Jun 26, 2013
✟2,069.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
intojoy said:
I guess that's not funny.

It's a question with a veiled admission of guilt. It's a sin but so is lusting and not doing that so what's the point? A real question (not a smoke screen) is how can believers have victory over sins like lust?

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
There is some kind of parallel between eating feces and masturbating? Uh, no. The reason we don't eat feces has nothing to do with the Bible. It's to do with taboos for one thing, and for the other, the fact that eating feces would be extremely unhealthy. Masturbation is not unhealthy nor is it taboo (other than in public, of course). People have too many hang ups about sexuality. It's a huge shame.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,896.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can anyone give us non-believers a valid reason why you consider it to be "wrong" other than "the bible say so"?

The question was not "is it wrong?" the question was "is it a sin?"

"Sin" exists only in the realm of religion.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
It is impossible to know what people think about during masturbation. People can only know what they think about during masturbation, if they think adulterous thoughts during masturbation then by all means they should stop.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Interesting how many people don't think its a sin. Realistically, adultery (sin) occurs in the heart, and it's near impossible to touch without thinking about someone.

Well, if it's not a TMI, I don't think of anyone at all. Never have.

I literally think of nothing but colors that certain sensations evoke. It's rather like watching a lightshow, really.

Upvote 0
A

Allectus

I literally think of nothing but colors that certain sensations evoke. It's rather like watching a lightshow, really.

Yeah in which case, there's no scriptural basis for correction. I personally don't think that's the norm, the average. But at the end of the day, as Hetta says, I can only speak for myself.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,896.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I think that poll would have to be separate by gender. I'm already aware that the average woman can think of things that make her more sensually excited than sex than men can (I've seen that poll).

Upvote 0