Do you love atheists?

L

~Love4ever~

I agree with Takk, God loves every single one of us no matter who we are and what we believe in, and i believe that we should show the same unconditional love God has for us to others. I personally don't have any close atheistic friends but i like to take the time to talk to them just as much as any other Christian i would talk to. You have to be careful though...Staying firmly rooted in Christ. people always have influences on you, even if you don't think they do... Showing them some love though is something that should happen whenever you get the opportunity to. :)

Upvote 0

DMMullinax

I could live in hope
Sep 11, 2007
North Carolina
✟15,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'd be careful saying love the sinner, hate the sin. I think knowing that sin is at the core of a sinner that we should just say love the sinner and leave it at that. And it's not like we're trying to, in our minds, separate the two to make it easier to love them or something. Yes, we hate the sin, but the sinner is caught up in that sin and we need to love them regardless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

snoopy500

Revelation 21:6- I am Alpha and Omega
May 14, 2015
Toronto
✟79,492.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
I'd say I don't love their beliefs or their sin, but I will show love to them just as Jesus showed love to everyone.

this. My best friend Melissa is atheist and I view her no differently than anyone else.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CalledOutOne

The World Weary
Apr 12, 2012
Moved.
Visit site
✟16,249.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hello everybody! Do you love atheists and agnostics? I mean seriously, do you love them, sorrow for them, and respect them. I love them, I suppose, because my parents are atheists, but I have a lot of respect for them too; they don't pretend to believe something just for the sake of believing it (usually). Of course, there are some who follow the atheist agenda for selfish reasons, but I've noticed most are legitamate, kind people. I don't think we're doing enough to help them understand our God; does anybody have any good suggestions for doing so?

In what way do I love them? As a brother? Certainly not! As a fellow human? Of course!

David said, "Do I not hate those who hate You, O Lord? And do I not loathe those who rise up against You? I hate them with the utmost hatred; They have become my enemies (Psalm 139:21-22 NASB)."

Jesus said, "But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you."

Does God hate them? Yes: "The boastful shall not stand before Your eyes; You hate all who do iniquity (Psalm 5:5 NASB)."

Does God love them? Yes: "...for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous (Matthew 5:45 NASB)."

What type of hatred do we hate them? A hatred that denies fellowship. This does not permit Christians to hate them with personal malice, but to merely reject close friendships with them. We should show them love by showing them the Gospel and God's grace and by just being genuinely nice to them.

Reactions: fat wee robin
Upvote 0

lostsheep321

Jun 6, 2012
✟15,114.00
Faith
Anglican
I definitely respect atheists. Many atheists I know show better Christian values than Christians I know. Also, many have reasons for not accepting god, such as personal suffering, so i respect their religious decision. There are some atheists I done respect, but that is down to their actions, rather than religious choice, and there are Christians I don't respect for the same reasons :)

Upvote 0

WithLoveFromAlyssa

Love makes a choice, it has a voice...
Jul 7, 2012
Somewhere around Nashville <3
✟9,959.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I was an atheist until May of this year.

There's only so much you can do for an atheist. Most have already made up their minds and view all evidence through prior conclusions, just as you and I do the same with our faith. The most you can do is continue to pray for them and answer any questions they ask them.

The hope with prayer is that God will awaken within them a longing for objective meaning. When you really want to find God, that is when the evidence becomes clearer and the objections become weaker. At least, that's how it was for me.

Congrats! :clap:

Upvote 0

HarborOrange

I am a sieve.
Dec 7, 2007
Colorado.
✟19,165.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
You know, being outside of Christianity now- as I am, I actually respect Atheists quite a lot. Sure, I put my trust in a God that they don't accept. However, now I see how foolish religion is, to be honest. It is just... So empty and filled with rather useless doctrine that kind of forces one to be a hypocrite one way or the other.

I don't mean to bash Christianity, or any religion here. It's just kind of my observation, being totally outside of religion now, and having not attended a church for 3 years (happily so). So you know, being outside of the spectrum I once found myself blindly in, I can now see why Atheists find religion so frivolous and choose to reject it.

Now, religion =/= God or the Scriptures. In fact, I find them to be the exact opposite.
So, that is one area that I wish Atheists would possibly retract. If you read the Scriptures from start to finish without the guise of religion and under the scope of ancient culture, it makes a WHOLE lot more sense.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Atheism is a tough topic, some seem to be atheist as a direct rejection to christianity. Some atheists only can believe in empirical evidence, so something like faith which to expressly work requires no evidence, scientific basis is a concept they cannot relate to. The direct rejection portion would be hard to reach, the science based folks would need a personal experience. Is it easier for God to reach someone who doesn't relate to the concept of faith or to reach someone who has faith in something we christians consider the wrong path/religion/belief.

Upvote 0

Kurama

Believe in Humanity
Mar 25, 2013
✟17,730.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Hello everybody! Do you love atheists and agnostics? I mean seriously, do you love them, sorrow for them, and respect them. I love them, I suppose, because my parents are atheists, but I have a lot of respect for them too; they don't pretend to believe something just for the sake of believing it (usually). Of course, there are some who follow the atheist agenda for selfish reasons, but I've noticed most are legitamate, kind people. I don't think we're doing enough to help them understand our God; does anybody have any good suggestions for doing so?

Lol I share your opinions, but I don't tend to judge people. I love the most hating and narrow minded atheist as much as I love a fellow Christian...

The question is not "do I love atheists?", the real question is "can I love atheists more?"

Atheists are God's children too! They're as precious to Him as we are, let's not be elitist and think that we are the "chosen ones". Being Christian does not make one perfect, actually it shows us how sinful and imperfect we are, and thus how much we need Jesus! Christ died on the cross for us, despite how sinful we are, He still died for us!

If we really consider ourselves to be Christians, we should love all people as Jesus loved everyone. He did not hold prejudices against anybody, rather He made friends with the most looked down in society; the tax collectors, fishermen, prostitutes... Would Jesus turn down the atheists? Of course not, He would love them with all no matter what!

"On hearing this, Jesus said to them, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners." -Mark 2:17

How could we possible not love everyone in the world, let alone just atheists? Jesus taught us to love everyone, to pray for those who persecute us, to turn the other cheek. I do not want to judge but I find that a lot of Christians these days don't seem to follow Christ, just sticking to their own convictions and hierarchy system. Well hate to break it to you but we are all sinful, we should all realistically go to Hell. However it is Jesus' sacrifice on the cross, through all His love and devotion to us, that has given us Eternal Life, we just need to accept it...

Please love everyone....love everybody in the world

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another." -John 13:34

Please take the time to watch this video: A Girl's Message To All Christians - YouTube

This video has been very enlightening for me and has indeed changed me quite a lot...I used to be quite a narrow minded Christian who secretly loathed atheists before seeing this. It has opened my eyes...

God bless!

Upvote 0