Do you have an accent?

GeorgiaGuyinAtlanta

Mar 13, 2006
Atlanta, Georgia Metropolitan Area, U.S.A.
✟15,479.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you have an accent? I've lived in Georgia my entire life, so I definitely have one. My husband lived in Columbia, SC and then moved to Georgia. He had sort of a faint one, but he's developed more of one the last few years. Mine used to be really heavy, but I've improved it.

My husband likes to tease me about mine. He say's it gets more southern whenever I get around my family. There's is heavier than mine. :D

The Southern accent is fading out of existence, unfortunately. Even native southerners are speaking with less and less of a twang each generation. Television and mass movement has a lot to do with it. The same thing is occurring to the New England accent and the Midwestern accent where old codgers have more of an accent than younger generations.

Upvote 0

MikeMcK

Apr 10, 2002
✟13,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Well I grew up in Virginia. Ive been told I have a "deep" southern accent- when I go up to North.

But when I go down to the Deep South most people can tell Im from Virginia right away.

I think only Southerners seem to be able to distinguish the different accents we have in the South.

And there is a difference.

I'm always amused to watch movies that take place in the South where everybody has a different accent.

"Steel Magnolias" was a perfect example of this.

Upvote 0

Brother Jason

KJV (King Jesus Version)
Feb 26, 2006
South Carolina
Visit site
✟23,494.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes. I have an accent and mine also gets heavier around some people more so than others.
Lol, at least I know it's not just me, when I have to work in Tennessee for any amount of time I come home right back on square 1.

Upvote 0

If Not For Grace

Legend-but then so's Keith Richards
Feb 4, 2005
Curtis Loew's House w/Kid Rock & Hank III
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I can sound like Jerry Clower in an instant-- though I perfer Lewis Grizzard. I love the Southern Jargon and nothing is sexier than a man with a southern draw--

Upvote 0