Georgia
✟2,695.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you have an accent? I've lived in Georgia my entire life, so I definitely have one. My husband lived in Columbia, SC and then moved to Georgia. He had sort of a faint one, but he's developed more of one the last few years. Mine used to be really heavy, but I've improved it.

My husband likes to tease me about mine. He say's it gets more southern whenever I get around my family. There's is heavier than mine. :D

Adela

Senior Veteran
Oct 29, 2005
Georgia
✟2,695.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Darkhorse said:
Everyone has an accent - a set of inflections and pronunciations characteristic of the speech they have been immersed in - wherever they might be!

Ok. A southern accent as opposed to the regular "American accent" that we hear on the news.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Being as since I was born and raised in North Carolina I would say no. I talk just like everybody else. But...in 1984 I was living in Southern California and when I would visit a bar people would buy me drinks just to hear me talk. Like...whatever.

Upvote 0

KEPLER

Crux sola est nostra theologia
Mar 23, 2005
3rd Rock from the Sun
✟12,398.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
RED that's ME said:
I do have a southern accent. :) It's interesting how many colleges are offering classes now to help southerners get rid of their accent.
I've been told by more than one person since moving to NC that I have a "California" accent ??!!

Like, totally, I guess.

Upvote 0

teffie

Sep 25, 2005
SYDNAY!!
✟16,813.00
Faith
Christian
lol hehe im australian. hehehe you like....go around the world and they all crowd around going: SAY SOMETHING FUNNY!!! lol the funny thing is, that down ere in aus, we dont walk around naked going: "g'day mate!!! bung some shrimp on the barbie!" hehehe and we dont ride kangaroos to school...lol but i went to fiji for a week, and spent the whole tie with 2 NZ gals, 1NZ guy and 2 aus guys. i swear 2 you by the end of it i came back to good 'ol sydney talking like a newzealander!!! hahahaha it was really funny....anyways:p
lol xoxo steff

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

savvy

I always finish what I....
Jul 30, 2004
Memphis, TN
✟1,560.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
teffie said:
lol hehe im australian. hehehe you like....go around the world and they all crowd around going: SAY SOMETHING FUNNY!!! lol the funny thing is, that down ere in aus, we dont walk around naked going: "g'day mate!!! bung some shrimp on the barbie!" hehehe and we dont ride kangaroos to school...lol but i went to fiji for a week, and spent the whole tie with 2 NZ gals, 1NZ guy and 2 aus guys. i swear 2 you by the end of it i came back to good 'ol sydney talking like a newzealander!!! hahahaha it was really funny....anyways:p
lol xoxo steff

you lie, sheila! I know you say those things! don't ruin the illusion!

Upvote 0

KnowBeDo

Raising Godly Offspring
Nov 27, 2005
✟30,232.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Born and rasied in Alabama. I can have a pretty thick accent. My wife has lived in California her whole life. We both have to repeat ourselves so much. She can't understand my family at all. When we go back home, I have to translate about half the time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Adela

Senior Veteran
Oct 29, 2005
Georgia
✟2,695.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
RED that's ME said:
I do have a southern accent. :) It's interesting how many colleges are offering classes now to help southerners get rid of their accent.

I think it's a little sad. How boring would it be if we all sounded exactly the same. Southern accents aren't bad, I like having one.

I have trained myself to be able to turn it off a little depending on who I'm talking to. For example, when I worked as a receptionist and had to answer a lot of phone calls my husband said he could barely tell I had one whenever he called me at work.

Upvote 0
Z

zmastah

Adela said:
Ok. A southern accent as opposed to the regular "American accent" that we hear on the news.

Also, which "Southern" are you referring to. I'm going to school in South Georgia (18 miles from the Florida line), but my home is in North GA (30 mins. from Athens) and I've noticed some subtle differences. For example, my girlfriend from Fitzgerald still laughs when I say things like "okrie" or pronounce creek "crick" or bear as "bahr." Much of my family is from the North Georgia mountains, too, so that has a lot to do with it. Yet, I've noticed some folks in South Georgia say some things that I don't quite understand, either. Such as calling rates "rites."

Upvote 0