Florida
✟17,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The New Testament tells us to "renew our minds".

Well, as what?
Renew it as what?
See, if you dont know the answer, then how can you know what to do?

So, you are to renew your mind, into this...
A "renewed mind".

And what is that mind?
What does that mean?

It simply means you are to align you mind with God's perspective, regarding how God sees you at all times.

This means, you are to only see yourself, as GOD SEES YOU, at all times.
If you have this mind, you have a "renewed mind".
If you dont have this mind, then you are struggling with your "natural mind", which is your carnal mind, and that always leads to a sinning and confessing situation, that can't be stopped, until your mind is renewed.
See, when you get your mind renewed, then the Grace of God will become your "Christ always gives me the Victory", over your natural mind that wants you to commit "works of the flesh".

See, if you are having flesh issues, its because you have mind issues related to not seeing yourself as God has recreated you to exit as a "new Creation in Christ".

So, You have to change your mind from any view of yourself, other than God's eternal view of you.
God sees you, only and always as....>"a new creation IN Christ".

God sees you only as Born again, made Righteous, "the righteousness of God in Christ", and having Eternal life.

God does not see you as a saved sinner.
God sees you as a SON OF GOD.
That's His mind.
Turn it into yours, and you mind is "renewed"......and not until.

You are to renew your mind, and learn to discipline your mind to always ONLY see yourself, as God sees you..
That is how you "renew your mind".
That's what it means.

Reactions: GospelS

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Well, as what?
Renew it as what?

A "renewed mind".

And what is that mind?
What does that mean?

It simply means you are to align you mind with God's perspective, regarding how God sees you at all times.

If you dont have this mind, then you are struggling with your "natural mind", which is your carnal mind, and that always leads to a sinning and confessing situation, that can't be stopped, until your mind is renewed.
See, when you get your mind renewed, then the Grace of God will become your "Christ always gives me the Victory", over your natural mind that wants you to commit "works of the flesh".

See, if you are having flesh issues, its because you have mind issues related to not seeing yourself as God has recreated you to exit as a "new Creation in Christ".

So, You have to change your mind from any view of yourself, other than God's eternal view of you.

God sees you only as Born again, made Righteous, "the righteousness of God in Christ", and having Eternal life.

That's His mind.

You are to renew your mind, and learn to discipline your mind to always ONLY see yourself, as God sees you..
That's what it means.
Only the Holy Spirit renews our mind. We can not do it ourselves.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Well, as what?
Renew it as what?

A "renewed mind".

And what is that mind?
What does that mean?

That's His mind.

That's what it means.
In order for one to retain knowledge, studies are required. I had not read Matthew 5-7 in awhile. Today I read these 3 chapters. These words renewed my mind:

Matthew 5:21 “You have heard that it was said to the ancient ones, ‘You shall not murder; (Exodus 20:13) and Whoever murders will be in danger of the judgment.’ 22 But I tell you that everyone who is angry with his brother without a cause will be in danger of the judgment. Whoever says to his brother, ‘Raca!’ will be in danger of the council. Whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of Gehenna.

• Informative
Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

SongOnTheWind

May 7, 2021
Croydon
✟26,712.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Renewing of the mind requires the absorption of God's Word into one's being, the Holy Spirit working in one through said Word, and in the first place, for one to be willing, open, and accepting of the truth. There is no room for itching ears just hearing what they want to hear, Otherwise you just keep going by what you already know, or want to know, and there is no real change. Maybe I'll ask in another thread about why we sometimes fear God's truth rather than embrace it.

Anyway, the truth in love is always needed in the renewing of our minds.

Shalom :)

Upvote 0

Sidon

May 13, 2021
Florida
✟17,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Only the Holy Spirit renews our mind. We can not do it ourselves.

You are told to renew you mind.
You are not told to wait till the Holy Spirt does it.
Do you have a New Testament?
Read this... """"""And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.""""

Notice that YOU are not to be conformed........and you are to prove what is acceptable, BY renewing your mind.
So, thats YOUR PART.
YOU do that.

YOU do it.
And the way you do it, is to bring your mind into alignment with God's perspective of who you are, "in Christ". and never see yourself as anything else

• Agree
Reactions: mikeforjesus
Upvote 0

Sidon

May 13, 2021
Florida
✟17,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In order for one to retain knowledge,

To renew your mind, is not to learn more knowledge, or more theology, or more church history.
That is just learning.
So, "renewing" is not learning. "renewing" is to change from what is wrong understanding to what is true, ...is the context.

We the born again, are to have the "mind of Christ"....and that is the opposite of the un-renewed mind.
As the un-renewed mind, is the "natural mind" or the "carnal mind" , which is the mind of the "flesh".

The born again, have a born again SPIRIT, which is the new Creation, but our minds are not born again, and our bodies are not born again.
We get a NEW BODY, later, but now, we have to RENEW our mind so the we are walking in the Spirit.
Part of "working out your salvation", or, to learn how to exist within the Kingdom of God, is to renew your mind, so that your mind reflects God's perspective, all the time.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
To renew your mind, is not to learn more knowledge, or more theology, or more church history.
That is just learning.
So, "renewing" is not learning. "renewing" is to change from what is wrong understanding to what is true, ...is the context.

We the born again, are to have the "mind of Christ"....and that is the opposite of the un-renewed mind.
As the un-renewed mind, is the "natural mind" or the "carnal mind" , which is the mind of the "flesh".

The born again, have a born again SPIRIT, which is the new Creation, but our minds are not born again, and our bodies are not born again.
We get a NEW BODY, later, but now, we have to RENEW our mind so the we are walking in the Spirit.
Part of "working out your salvation", or, to learn how to exist within the Kingdom of God, is to renew your mind, so that your mind reflects God's perspective, all the time.
I was worried about my finances. Then I remembered John the Baptist ate grasshoppers and wild honey. He used to follow bees to their hives. He preached austerity; not owning two pairs of shoes.

Jesus led Peter to a huge catch of fish. He broke bread for five thousand and gathered twelve baskets full of left overs. His treasurer Judas was stealing group funds, but Christ changed the world for the better.

A carnal mind will seek wine, but alcohol is a neurotoxin. Alcoholism is the leading cause of early onset dementia. Wisdom is much knowledge. Knowledge is not despised.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Read this... """"""And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.""""

Notice that YOU are not to be conformed........and you are to prove what is acceptable, BY renewing your mind.
So, thats YOUR PART.
YOU do that.

YOU do it.
And the way you do it, is to bring your mind into alignment with God's perspective of who you are, "in Christ". and never see yourself as anything else
I am guessing you are not familiar with regeneration through the Holy Spirit.?
AKA renewal of the mind which is the heart ?

• Agree
Reactions: David Lowery
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

So, thats YOUR PART.
YOU do that.

YOU do it.
Cont...
John 16

“I did not say these things to you from the beginning, because I was with you. 5 But now I am going to him who sent me, and none of you asks me, ‘Where are you going?’ 6 But because I have said these things to you, sorrow has filled your heart. 7 Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you. 8 And when he comes, he will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment: 9 concerning sin, because they do not believe in me; 10 concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father, and you will see me no longer; 11 concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged.

12 “I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. 13 When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. 14 He will glorify me, for he will take what is mine and declare it to you. 15 All that the Father has is mine; therefore I said that he will take what is mine and declare it to you.

• Agree
Reactions: David Lowery
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sidon

May 13, 2021
Florida
✟17,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was worried about my finances. Then I remembered John the Baptist ate grasshoppers and wild honey. He used to follow bees to their hives. He preached austerity; not owning two pairs of shoes.

Jesus led Peter to a huge catch of fish. He broke bread for five thousand and gathered twelve baskets full of left overs. His treasurer Judas was stealing group funds, but Christ changed the world for the better.

A carnal mind will seek wine, but alcohol is a neurotoxin. Alcoholism is the leading cause of early onset dementia. Wisdom is much knowledge. Knowledge is not despised.

Jesus probably fed about 15,000 people with that bread and fish.
The NT does not indicate the wives and sisters and mothers and children.

Also, Jesus Himself is all knowledge and wisdom, so, because He is IN all the born again, we have access to all of it.

Upvote 0

Sidon

May 13, 2021
Florida
✟17,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am guessing you are not familiar with regeneration through the Holy Spirit.?
AKA renewal of the mind which is the heart ?

Being born again IS the regeneration of the Holy Spirit.
I was born ago, quite a while back.
How about you?

Upvote 0

Sidon

May 13, 2021
Florida
✟17,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Cont...
John 16

“I did not say these things to you from the beginning, because I was with you. 5 But now I am going to him who sent me, and none of you asks me, ‘Where are you going?’ 6 But because I have said these things to you, sorrow has filled your heart. 7 Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you. 8 And when he comes, he will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment: 9 concerning sin, because they do not believe in me; 10 concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father, and you will see me no longer; 11 concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged.

12 “I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. 13 When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. 14 He will glorify me, for he will take what is mine and declare it to you. 15 All that the Father has is mine; therefore I said that he will take what is mine and declare it to you.

Well thank you for posting all that.
But, reading those verses won't renew your mind., and being born again wont renew your mind.
See, you are told to do it.
My Threads teaches how.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Being born again IS the regeneration of the Holy Spirit.
I was born ago, quite a while back.
How about you?
Regeneration through the Holy Spirit. This is our renewal. I am sure we understand it the same way.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well thank you for posting all that.
But, reading those verses won't renew your mind., and being born again wont renew your mind.
See, you are told to do it.
My Threads teaches how.
Not quite following you. A born again Christian is born through His Holy Spirit. It is all connected. Nothing to teach it is all through His power once we believe.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Well, as what?
Renew it as what?

A "renewed mind".

And what is that mind?
What does that mean?

That's His mind.

That's what it means.

How does this fit with what the Apostle is saying to the Christians living in Rome in Romans chapter 12? Because look at the context of Romans 12. Now compare it to the language St. Paul uses in Philippians 2, where he writes, "Have this same mind in you that was in Christ Jesus".

The call to be transformed by the renewing of our minds is part of the ongoing process of metanoia, repentance, and God's ongoing work of sanctification in our lives as we are being conformed to the image of Christ. So the Apostle calls us to stop thinking the way the world thinks, and to think the way Christ thinks. To be transformed by the renewing of our mind is to radically change how we think.

"I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." - Romans 12:1-2

and what is that good, acceptable, and perfect will of God?

"For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned. For as in one body we have many members, and the members do not all have the same function, so we, though many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another. Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, in proportion to our faith; if service, in our serving; the one who teaches, in his teaching; the one who exhorts, in his exhortation; the one who contributes, in generosity; the one who leads, with zeal; the one who does acts of mercy, with cheerfulness.

Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good. Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord. Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality.

Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be wise in your own sight. Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” To the contrary, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
" - Romans 12:3-21

Now let's compare again to St. Paul's language in Philippians 2,

"So if there is any encouragement in Christ, any comfort from love, any participation in the Spirit, any affection and sympathy, complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross." - Philippians 2:1-8

See how the Apostle calls for his readers to take upon themselves the attitude, the mind, the disposition of our Lord Jesus Christ who though being Himself true and very God, the Eternal Son of the Father, and yet humbled Himself, poured Himself out into shame, suffering, and death. The King became a slave.

If He who is Lord over all creation Himself lowered Himself to the status of a mere slave for the sake of us sinners, without exploiting His own Divine Glory which He rightly deserved (and indeed, as the Apostle goes on to say, that He was then exalted, enthroned at the right hand of God, and every tongue confess and knee bow before Him as Lord), then how much we ourselves, who are slaves to Christ, ought to then understand ourselves in relation to one another and to our neighbors?

If the Sinless One came for the sinful, how much more ought we who are ourselves sinners for whom our Lord came ought to live lives in selfless humility and obedience to the One who commands us to do what is right.

The renewing of our mind is about the ongoing work of God to conform us to Christ, that we might, as the Apostle writes in Ephesians 2:10, walk in the good works which God has prepared for us, in which we were created. We were made new creations for the purpose of good works. God saved us in order that we might be slaves and disciples of Jesus Christ in the world.

Our justification from God is free, by His grace, through faith; not of ourselves, not of our own ability, but as God's gift, so that no one may boast; but we were created, in Jesus Christ, for good works, that we might walk in them. And, likewise, that we might "work out [our] salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in [us], both to will and to work for His good pleasure." (Philippians 2:12-13); to work out our salvation is not about our justification, but actually living and walking in our faith here in this world through love.

Christianity is about doing as much as it is about believing. The issue that seems to trip people up is that they either think that the doing is about us being righteous before God, but it's not, nothing we can do can justify us before God, we have only the one righteousness of Jesus Christ imputed to us by grace. By the same token, there are those who then think there is no doing to be done at all, and that Christianity is simply about believing the right things, thinking the right things, and feeling the right things. Because both Legalism and Antinomianism flow from the same error, the same spirit of heresy, merely two sides of the same coin.

-CryptoLutheran

• Winner
Reactions: BBAS 64
Upvote 0

Sidon

May 13, 2021
Florida
✟17,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The call to be transformed by the renewing of our minds is part of the ongoing process of metanoia, repentance,

-CryptoLutheran

there is no such thing as a "ongoing process of repentance".

There is an ongoing process of being "In Christ", "Made Rightesous", and "walking in the Spirit".
Repentance is OVER once you are born again.
From that place, you are become a Son of God, and you dont repent, you instead work out your salvation, that is the discipleship process of learning how to exist as "translated FROM Darkness to Light".
See,
Coming into the mind of Christ is not about trying to be good.
But rather its only about existing in the right mind of Faith, that aligns always with God's Perspective of who we are, "in Christ".

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

There is an ongoing process of being "In Christ", "Made Rightesous", and "walking in the Spirit".
From that place, you are become a Son of God, and you dont repent, you instead work out your salvation, that is the discipleship process of learning how to exist as "translated FROM Darkness to Light".
See,
But rather its only about existing in the right mind of Faith, that aligns always with God's Perspective of who we are, "in Christ".

Good Day, Sidon

Are you familiar with the 75 thesis of Martin Luther?

The first of which is:

1. When our Lord and Master Jesus Christ said, ``Repent'' (Mt 4:17), he willed the entire life of believers to be one of repentance.
Are you a member of the Roman Church?

Do you work out your salvation though some prescribed set of "sacraments"?

In Him

Bill

Upvote 0

Sidon

May 13, 2021
Florida
✟17,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good Day, Sidon

Are you familiar with the 75 thesis of Martin Luther?

The first of which is:
  1. When our Lord and Master Jesus Christ said, ``Repent'' (Mt 4:17), he willed the entire life of believers to be one of repentance.Are you a member of the Roman Church?
Do you work out your salvation though some prescribed set of "sacraments"?
In Him

Bill

Hey Bill,

Im not a follower of Luther.
Im a Son of God and a Disciple of Christ who understand's that Paul's Doctrine, is the rule book during the "time of the Gentiles".

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

See,

What do you think repentance is?

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0