W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I guess I'm forced to ask the obvious, did you actually read that section of the thread I posted to you?

This is an issue with debate also in this section and elsewhere. When a person doesn't actually read a thread, but jumps in wherever to comment on something that a person said, or ask questions that then makes them appear uninformed.
Yes, and i just went back and read your post again, just to see if i missed something. I still dont see what this man has to do with the topic, but thank you anyway.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,129.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, and i just went back and read your post again, just to see if i missed something. I still dont see what this man has to do with the topic, but thank you anyway.

Well let me buy you a clue there,..

That because my statements were in response a question in the thread, not the subject, a very good question in fact,..

Having spent 30 years in these online debates and having watched the same subjects contested over and over and over and over again, I fully agree.

At the end of one's life, what has been the payoff?

Such a question reminded me of MacArthur and his life's ambition against Pentecostals and Charismatics. His whole life has been one big debate against us,.. and to what end?

Did his life's work destroy us as he hoped, absolutely not, in fact we outgrew his denomination by two times over, and we are still growing.

Good day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I really do not like debating. It is sinful for me. I don't like it when I give my views in a thread without attacking anyone elses views to suddenly have my post ripped apart, usually over some spurious point which is irrelevant. I then look and realise the thread was in a debating part of the forum.

The reason it is sinful for me is because I often end up judging the other person in my heart. I then try to bow out of the discussion because it is fruitless to engage in those discussions for me. I don't like seeing hard hearted Christians and although they might only come across as vain, proud and hardhearted while not being so in real life, I still feel hurt by witnessing such behaviour. Who am I to judge anyone? No one, I have as many faults as the next person. To see open hostility and pride in a public forum by those professing to love the Lord saddens me. Then I dwell on that instead of doing Philippians 4:8. I shouldn't be looking at others characters, that isn't why the Lord has me here on Earth. I should be loving my neighbour. That is how debates sidetrack me.

Upvote 0

Vi

Sep 17, 2004
Central Ohio
✟18,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Often debate is dirtied with thought distortions and mental distortions and becomes something else. A woman once apologized to me because she said in her household that the sister who argued the loudest and longest ... Won.

So, winning a debate doesn't always mean a winner is right, sometimes they are just aggressive and persistent.

In those cases, debates are not useful and are usually frustrating and button-pushing. I might make my statement then walk away as people start pressuring in.

Debates from people who are gifted with knowledge and who have no agenda other than to share their knowledge are the kind I watch out for and join.

Scriptural debate can be frustrating because each person believes they've been shown something true that they must share or make others convert their beliefs to. I only join certain ones. Learning how to determine what a debater's goals are help to determine if there is any gain.

Praying for guidance during debate is helpful . I keep reminding myself that I have the HS to assist me, and don't necessarily want to rely on my own ideas, thoughts or knowledge.

Good question.

Upvote 0