Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
If you have something that stands the test and works well, why nor share it with others?
Because the litmus test for an individual's belief doesn't always match another person and regardless if you believe it other may not wish to hear it. An example would be that you seem to be a preterist, based on what you believe the Bible to say but that isn't specific truth as there are other interpretations that do not point to preterist beliefs. But back to my point, in relation to the OP question of debates, doesn't that invite debate?

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
It gives me a chance to learn ,test my ideas and beliefs , hone my mental capacity and if warranted have my mind changed or if possible change the mind of another.

Debate is how I learn and grow as a person. Very few people can think and work out problems by themselves.

I agree with both of these.

I was raised in an environment that encouraged debate, so it's something I've grown up with and am comfortable with. Once you learn how to debate, it can provide a lot of confidence. Unfortunately confidence too easily becomes arrogance ... and I've been there as well. Still, debating my way through those bull-headed years brought some maturity - painful as it may have been for both sides - and it is a maturity I might not have gained any other way.

So ... how forthright do you want me to be? The best form of debate - the most enjoyable - the most beneficial to me personally is what @grasping the after wind and @Tetra described. But debate can also be a weapon, and I know how to use it that way too. Maybe that's unfortunate, but it can be necessary from time to time.

• Informative
Reactions: WannaWitness
Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Because the litmus test for an individual's belief doesn't always match another person and regardless if you believe it other may not wish to hear it. An example would be that you seem to be a preterist, based on what you believe the Bible to say but that isn't specific truth as there are other interpretations that do not point to preterist beliefs. But back to my point, in relation to the OP question of debates, doesn't that invite debate?
I'm Amillennial. But are the Creeds Wrong about the trinity or deity of Christ? Can we share those doctrines with confidence?

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟841,175.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I avoid debate if at all possible. Titus 3:9 is one of my favorite Scriptures.

There's really no point to it. Two people can hear exactly the same words and interpret them two different ways. True, the only way that's really "correct" is how the speaker meant it at the time. But then again, the speaker can explain and clarify, and again two listeners will hear that explanation two different ways.

If some points of debate have been raging on for thousands of years, do we really expect to get it resolved now, in an online forum? Maybe some people enjoy debate because they get a charge out of silencing the other person with their brilliant logic. But I'm not into that.

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
I actually have mixed feelings about debate. Sometimes it can be a good thing, especially for those who are skilled in the art. It is also through debate (and I mean healthy, orderly debate) that those on opposing sides can end up agreeing to disagree, respecting one another, learning about one another, and maybe even becoming friends (hey, it's possible!) while still holding to their own convictions. Other times, not so much, especially when some debates have gotten out of hand and turn into senseless arguing and bashing. It happens more often than not, from where I stand. I will admit, debates can be interesting, but I find myself more of a casual observer. When I do say something, I try to bring some balance to the whole thing with what I feel to be a reasonable and neutral perspective (without compromising on Biblical standards). I am very careful on how I word things to see that those who read the post might understand what I am getting at. Occasionally, however, this is not the case, and as a result, some have ended up misinterpreting my post (sometimes completely missing the point), reading things into the post that isn't there, and insinuate that I am saying something I am not. This forces me to come back to the thread to attempt to give a further explanation to such individuals (this is sometimes difficult as I often feel what I posted to begin with should have been clear enough). When the individual doesn't acknowledge back (and many times they won't), I just have to leave it at that and hope that I have made things more clear.

I am also well aware that there are some people who will disagree, no matter how balanced one's viewpoint is. That's okay, nobody should expect everyone to agree all the time. It's what makes us all different. What does bother me some (and I am trying to work on this) are those individuals who not only disagree, but have this air that they are "superior", "smarter", or "holier" than those who don't see things exactly their way. They do not come right out and say it, but come off as condescending and intimidating, so it's easy to see how they would come off that way. But I also realize that when I post in "debate" threads (or threads on "hot-button" or "controversial" topics), I am doing so at my own risk as I stink at debate (despite having been in a speech and debate class in high school). Which is why I will wrap up my post with "I wish not to debate" or something of that nature, then urge readers who might disagree to do so respectfully. Then I pretty much bow out of the discussion, unless I re-enter the thread to give an elaboration if need be. Also, I will acknowledge when I think someone has presented a good point (that happens as well). With 1 Corinthians 13:12 in mind, we all currently see dimly as through glass, so I realize that none of us are going to be right about everything and know everything there is to know until we see Jesus face to face.

Anyway, those are my feelings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
How do you deal with debate? Do you avoid it? How does it make you feel? Do you feel filled with the Spirit or filled with anxiety? Thank you.

When I was younger I was in there with the best of them but now that I am heading into my late 60's if the debate is intellectually stimulating and not just argumentative I might engage for a while, but most of the time I tire of it very quickly and move on.

I don't really believe the cut and paste wars that happen in here from time are debates they simply who can get in the last word. I have reached a stage where I don't even bother to troll through the endless cut and paste posts.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I try to avoid certain debates, but sometimes i find myself getting sucked in to one. I hate the way debate makes me feel.
That's OK, not everyone is cut out to have stressful conversations, especially about things that are so important to us.
I can participate only so long but when anyone in the conversation gets snarky, accusatory, etc. it makes me feel bad, upset, angry....it's time for me to bow out.
I don't feel that way debating politics, it's just not that important.

• Friendly
Reactions: WannaWitness
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,549.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If some points of debate have been raging on for thousands of years, do we really expect to get it resolved now, in an online forum? Maybe some people enjoy debate because they get a charge out of silencing the other person with their brilliant logic. But I'm not into that.

Having spent 30 years in these online debates and having watched the same subjects contested over and over and over and over again, I fully agree.

At the end of one's life, what has been the payoff?

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
i am not fund of debate, i think it´s a waste of time really. if people could talk calmly and leave their ego out, then i would like to listen and learn something. Unfortunately it´s often a bunch of people who beat each other in the heads with their egoistical views, it´s all based on ego, less on understanding. I don´t see any point. It has not much to do with becomming wiser, it has something to do with who can yell the loudest.

That sounds like me at times, but when we see someone teaching an obvious false doctrine that could lead those they buy is straigh to hell, some debates become no holds barred for me. Maybe it takes some of those bull headed actions to battle it, and battles aren't always pretty.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟841,175.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Having spent 30 years in these online debates and having watched the same subjects contested over and over and over and over again, I fully agree.

I learned long ago not to play "try and convert me" with an atheist. Most of the time, their only purpose is to show you how they can systematically knock down every single one of your points, and then gloat that you have no proof. If someone is committed to finding fault with whatever you say, they'll always find a way to do it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I try to avoid certain debates, but sometimes i find myself getting sucked in to one. I hate the way debate makes me feel.

Me too, assuming you mean not the easy going more enjoyable debates but the heated ones where you feel you are discussing something so important it warrants the heat.

Then we would have to ask ourselves, are those "feelings" telling us something, or is that just the price we pay for doing what we should?

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

That's a very good point.

What is the payoff on some of these issues over time? Think about how John MacArthur has spent his lifetime railing against Pentecostals and Charismatics in churches. His first book was in 1978 against Pentecostals. Fast forward to today, the Pentecostals/Charismatics are enjoying tremendous growth around the world, and old Protestant denominations are in decline, including Baptists.

His entire endeavor over the years has been absolutely fruitless.

I guess the point here is be careful what you are advocating, and certainly don't build your life around it.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,549.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I learned long ago not to play "try and convert me" with an atheist. Most of the time, their only purpose is to show you how they can systematically knock down every single one of your points, and then gloat that you have no proof. If someone is committed to finding fault with whatever you say, they'll always find a way to do it.

There are a couple of situations to consider:

Debating as evangelism to the lost. First, let's consider what "lost" means biblically: A person who is "lost" is one of Christ's sheep who simply isn't yet in the fold. Jesus knows who all of His own lost sheep are. He knows each one by name. That's what enablement by the father means (John 6:44, John 6:65); that's what conviction by the Holy Spirit means (John 16:8). His lost sheep are walking around enabled to accept the gospel, and they don't even realize it. And each of His lost sheep will respond to His voice when they hear an evangelist speaking it.

These people who are the unknowing enabled, Jesus' lost sheep, don't need debate--and certainly they don't need to debate the topics they propose. Those are only tactics by Satan given to them to prevent the evangelist from ever speaking the gospel, because Satan knows if they hear the gospel that touches the sin that the Holy Spirit is convicting them by, they will respond to it. But as long as Satan can keep the evangelist distracted with other subjects, the lost sheep don't hear the voice of Jesus and spend that much longer outside the fold.

When we are in these online debates, we need to remember that our real target audience might be those who are merely lurking, not the person we're directly debating. Before getting wrapped around the axle, we should first think, "Wait, have I actually yet touched on the gospel itself? Let me take care of that before I go any farther."

Debating Theology with Nicene Creed Believers. This gets into the "disputable matters" that Paul talked to the Romans about. There are some matters that are indisputable--those are the elements of the Nicene (Apostle's Creed). Those are matters that are explicitly described in scripture, needing no interpretation of meaning or extrapolation of extent, having multiple explicit witnesses and no contradiction. They are indisputable, and, yes, should be defended vigorously.

There are a lot more matters that are validly disputable. They have only one witness--and maybe only a vague one at that, requiring extrapolation. They may have other verses that counter-act or limit them. Those are disputable matters, and Paul cautions us not to come to division over them.

Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟676,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How do you deal with debate? Do you avoid it? How does it make you feel? Do you feel filled with the Spirit or filled with anxiety? Thank you.

When it's done respectfully it can help us define and clarify our beliefs. The apostles did a lot of debating presumably. A lot of the NT is composed as argument intended to persuade. We all need to learn how to argue graciously. The goal doesn't have to prove the opponent wrong but only to prove your own point reasonable.

• Agree
Reactions: zelosravioli
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
His entire endeavor over the years has been absolutely fruitless.

You really believe he has not swayed some or even many not to go that route? I seriously doubt that is a fact, as a matter of a fact the natural odds against if being fact are so tremendous....It's not even debatable. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
You really believe he has not swayed some or even many not to go that route? I seriously doubt that is a fact, as a matter of a fact the natural odds against if being fact are so tremendous....It's not even debatable. ;)

Pun intended :)

His ambition was more than just reaching a few people, I'm pretty sure he wanted to destroy our denomination. That's a lot of years invested.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,549.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

His ambition was more than just reaching a few people, I'm pretty sure he wanted to destroy our denomination. That's a lot of years invested.

And to what end? Pentecostals aren't unsaved.

• Agree
Reactions: ARBITER01
Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
And to what end? Pentecostals aren't unsaved.

Yep.

I wouldn't want to be the person that was speaking against the body of Christ. I think Jesus takes that personal.

Sorry for any derail, the subject is a good topic.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Yes, intended. :)

Though it was probably a lot more than one saved, I suppose my point was, even if it was just one that's substantial.

Upvote 0