Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How do you deal with debate? Do you avoid it? How does it make you feel? Do you feel filled with the Spirit or filled with anxiety? Thank you.

Debate makes me feel exhilarated. It gives me a chance to learn ,test my ideas and beliefs , hone my mental capacity and if warranted have my mind changed or if possible change the mind of another.

Upvote 0

Soul-searching

Jan 27, 2018
Denmark
✟48,320.00
Country
Denmark
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How do you deal with debate? Do you avoid it? How does it make you feel? Do you feel filled with the Spirit or filled with anxiety? Thank you.
i am not fund of debate, i think it´s a waste of time really. if people could talk calmly and leave their ego out, then i would like to listen and learn something. Unfortunately it´s often a bunch of people who beat each other in the heads with their egoistical views, it´s all based on ego, less on understanding. I don´t see any point. It has not much to do with becomming wiser, it has something to do with who can yell the loudest.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
i am not fund of debate, i think it´s a waste of time really. if people could talk calmly and leave their ego out, then i would like to listen and learn something. Unfortunatley it´s often a bunch of people who beat each other in the heads with their egostical views, it´s all based on ego, less on understanding. I don´t see any point. It has not much to do with becomming wiser, it has something to do with who can yell the loudest.
Thank you.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I normally don't set out to debate. But to share my beliefs with others for their benefit. But more often than not, it ends in a debate that I find taxing and spiritually challenging. We must not allow the flesh to enter the discussion which usually ends in frustration and hurling insults. No good can come from it.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
i am not fund of debate, i think it´s a waste of time really. if people could talk calmly and leave their ego out, then i would like to listen and learn something. Unfortunately it´s often a bunch of people who beat each other in the heads with their egostical views, it´s all based on ego, less on understanding. I don´t see any point. It has not much to do with becomming wiser, it has something to do with who can yell the loudest.

That is not debate you are speaking about. That is propagandization or simple verbal abuse. Honest and respectful debate is rare lately but as anything that has become rare, it is even more valuable and needed.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I normally don't set out to debate. But to share my beliefs with others for their benefit. But more often than not, it ends in a debate that I find taxing and spiritually challenging. We must not allow the flesh to enter the discussion which usually ends in frustration and hurling insults. No good can come from it.
Thank you. I agree, its taxing and challenging. It often leaves me less than edified.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you. I agree, its taxing and challenging. It often leaves me less than edified.
I think the ideal would be to post our position and answer questions. And have any challengers post their own position, leaving it open for questions.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

One gets from a thing what one is willing to put into it a or take from it. Attitude and expectations are the major factors as to whether one is satisfied with an outcome, dissatisfied or content. If one enters debate with the conviction that one will be content no matter the outcome one will feel much different at the conclusion than If one is looking to win a debate as with that pre condition one will ultimately feel either dissatisfied or smug at the conclusion of it. I do not engage in debate as a form of competition but as a learning experience. My ideas and beliefs do the competing not my self esteem. Should they not be up to the competition, then perhaps I need to reconsider them?

• Agree
Reactions: zelosravioli
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think the ideal would be to post our position and answer questions. And have any challengers post their own position, leaving it open for questions.
I try to avoid certain debates, but sometimes i find myself getting sucked in to one. I hate the way debate makes me feel.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
One gets from a thing what one is willing to put into it a or take from it. Attitude and expectations are the major factors as to whether one is satisfied with an outcome, dissatisfied or content. If one enters debate with the conviction that one will be content no matter the outcome one will feel much different at the conclusion than If one is looking to win a debate as with that pre condition one will ultimately feel either dissatisfied or smug at the conclusion of it. I do not engage in debate as a form of competition but as a learning experience. My ideas and beliefs do the competing not my self esteem. Should they not be up to the competition, then perhaps I need to reconsider them?
What about contending for the faith? Isnt winning the point of contending?

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What about contending for the faith? Isnt winning the point of contending?

Not my winning no. If I make me personally winning the point of contending for the faith then I am going about this in the completely wrong way. One speaks the truth and accepts whatever consequences God wills to be the case. I should enter the debate in the way Jesus exampled at Gethsemane. "Thy will and not mine."

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not my winning no. If I make me personally winning the point of contending for the faith then I am going about this in the completely wrong way. One speaks the truth and accepts whatever consequences God wills to be the case.
Yes its not about us winning, but its about the truth winning.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't mind it as long as each are respectful of the other. When it gets heated, and especially when it breaks down, it just not worth it. At that point is creates division and God was clear, He hates that (Proverbs 6:16-19). So anymore I avoid the discussions that seem volatile... they edify nobody.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't mind it as long as each are respectful of the other. When it gets heated, and especially when it breaks down, it just not worth it. At that point is creates division and God was clear, He hates that (Proverbs 6:16-19). So anymore I avoid the discussions that seem volatile... they edify nobody.
Sometimes it only takes one bad word to cause an offense leading to strife. We must be careful with our words, and our anger.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How do you deal with debate?

I do not debate, I say "Come let us reason together."

Do you avoid it?

When I sense the other poster getting emotional, or moving pass reasoning, I ensure them that I see no fault in their words or beliefs and wish them a good day.....in hopes to end the conversation and their own emotional turmoil.

How does it make you feel? Do you feel filled with the Spirit or filled with anxiety?

I feel nothing from reading word, although this was not always the case. As we grow in Christ, the one who gets offended, dies daily......until completely deceased. The same things that triggered our emotions in the past, should not continue to do so in the future.

This is part of true spiritual growth....as opposed to the memorization of scriptures and improved debate abilities....which only shows mental growth.

• Friendly
Reactions: WannaWitness
Upvote 0