Do you feel old?

Do you feel old?

• Yes. Physically and mentally I am plain ol' wore out. And get off my lawn!

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Yes. But I thank God that I reached this age in the first place and am enjoying it.

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • No. I'm physically and mentally much younger than my years indicate.

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • No. Why do you think I bought a Corvette and still wear denim?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Servant68

Sleepless 300 miles from Seattle
Jun 30, 2015
The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I really can't believe I'm as old as I am. I just turned 48 a couple of months ago and have been having a hard time wrapping my head around that fact.

It just seemed like a few years ago that I was a young, stupid 24yr old just out of the Navy who married a pretty red head because she was the first Christian I had dated and, well, she was a red head and I had no choice...

Tomorrow is my grandson's 2nd birthday. My GRANDSON! How the heck did a guy who was a young, vibrant guy in his thirties just a few years ago end up a grandpa??

I am absolutely not mature and wise enough to be my age. Yet I KNOW stuff. I work with a guy that is 27yrs old and newly married with a baby on the way. He asks me things about home improvement, car financing, firearms, and child rearing, and I know it... How did I gain all this vast knowledge of life??

It seems I have been praying for the same things every night for 20 years; protect my family, protect me, wisdom, grace, patience, gentleness, the fruits of the Spirit, and to glorify God. I have healthy and grown children, much more patience than I did when I was 24, and I have indeed grown in recognizing unhealthy thoughts and behaviors.

God has answered many prayers and I praise Him for his wonderful gifts over the years. But I still feel like I have so much more growing to do spiritually and emotionally.

My best friend is 67 years old and he has been telling me that I'm a young man and the world is my oyster for the past ten years I've known him. I think I'm beginning to understand his perspective.

Ten years ago I felt turning 38 meant I was old and needed to be more mature in my faith and career to be considered successful. I now WISH I was 38; so much more time to live and enjoy life. So many things I wish I would have changed ten years ago...

But earlier tonight I went to the gym, did a mile on the elliptical machine, then threw weights around for an hour.

I then showered and got into my lifted and customized pickup and listened to Christian rock on my way back to my office. Surfed Facebook, surfed this forum, bought some stuff on Amazon, then noticed a great show I used to watch was now on Netflix, told my work partner all about this really funny TV show called Mystery Science Theater 3000. He'd never heard of it. What? It's hilarious! Then I realized it came out when he was still in diapers. Bam. I'm old again...

Do you feel old?

Do you have moments where you totally forget that you are no longer in your twenties, or thirties, or forties, and then are rudely awakened by reality?

How does that affect your spiritual life? Do you thank God the Father for all of the blessings you've had in your life, or do you plead with Him to keep you young?

PropheticTimes

Lord Have Mercy
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2015
Ohio
✟204,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Do you feel old?

I feel old. I'm 45 going on 80 on good days. This is mostly physically, as I have spinal injuries and other daily owies that keep my movements reduced. Mentally, that depends. My great niece is 2 and when she comes over I instantly regress, plop myself down on the floor with her and play like I'm a kid again (I pay for that physically later but it's so worth it). I'll never grow up (and you can't make me :p ) :grinning:

Do you have moments where you totally forget that you are no longer in your twenties, or thirties, or forties, and then are rudely awakened by reality?

Yes, see above comment.

How does that affect your spiritual life? Do you thank God the Father for all of the blessings you've had in your life, or do you plead with Him to keep you young?

It makes me more grateful for the little things and I see blessings where I didn't before. I have never asked Father for youth. There have been times when I have asked for death, but I see how He works in our sufferings to build us up spiritually, if we allow it.

Reactions: Servant68
Upvote 0
Jun 18, 2011
San Francisco Bay Area
✟65,034.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I really can't believe I'm as old as I am. I just turned 48 a couple of months ago and have been having a hard time wrapping my head around that fact.

It just seemed like a few years ago that I was a young, stupid 24yr old just out of the Navy who married a pretty red head because she was the first Christian I had dated and, well, she was a red head and I had no choice...

Tomorrow is my grandson's 2nd birthday. My GRANDSON! How the heck did a guy who was a young, vibrant guy in his thirties just a few years ago end up a grandpa??

I am absolutely not mature and wise enough to be my age. Yet I KNOW stuff. I work with a guy that is 27yrs old and newly married with a baby on the way. He asks me things about home improvement, car financing, firearms, and child rearing, and I know it... How did I gain all this vast knowledge of life??

It seems I have been praying for the same things every night for 20 years; protect my family, protect me, wisdom, grace, patience, gentleness, the fruits of the Spirit, and to glorify God. I have healthy and grown children, much more patience than I did when I was 24, and I have indeed grown in recognizing unhealthy thoughts and behaviors.

God has answered many prayers and I praise Him for his wonderful gifts over the years. But I still feel like I have so much more growing to do spiritually and emotionally.

My best friend is 67 years old and he has been telling me that I'm a young man and the world is my oyster for the past ten years I've known him. I think I'm beginning to understand his perspective.

Ten years ago I felt turning 38 meant I was old and needed to be more mature in my faith and career to be considered successful. I now WISH I was 38; so much more time to live and enjoy life. So many things I wish I would have changed ten years ago...

But earlier tonight I went to the gym, did a mile on the elliptical machine, then threw weights around for an hour.

I then showered and got into my lifted and customized pickup and listened to Christian rock on my way back to my office. Surfed Facebook, surfed this forum, bought some stuff on Amazon, then noticed a great show I used to watch was now on Netflix, told my work partner all about this really funny TV show called Mystery Science Theater 3000. He'd never heard of it. What? It's hilarious! Then I realized it came out when he was still in diapers. Bam. I'm old again...

Do you feel old?

Upvote 0
Jun 18, 2011
San Francisco Bay Area
✟65,034.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
The only time I feel old is the first thing in the morning, while getting out of bed. But,after I get up,and start moving around,I feel younger. I start work at 6:30 am. Therefore,I have to get up at 4:30 am, stretch, walk,one mile,shower,have breakfast, and drive 17 miles to work. I do this five days a week. On Mondays,Wednesdays,and Fridays,after work,I go to the gym for 15 minutes of weight lifting, and 30 minutes on the stationary bike. This work out routine causes me to feel younger. By the way,I just turned 63 last Monday ,the 13th of March. Yes,I am thankful to God for the time that I am living on this Earth.

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
At 65 I feel I'm younger than others my age that I hang around with. They tend to be fearful, not sense of adventure.
I do pretty good physically also and am told over and over that I'm look younger.
Having grand kids doesn't bother me.
I guess the one thing that does feel old is I don't have the strength I used to have. Nor to I have the desire to go out to run and get in shape like I used to. But this summer I plan to be in shape so I can so more hiking than I have the last 4 summers. Will see how that goes!

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I'm 51. Physically, I feel old. My body aches so much after working 12 hours that I want to cry a lot of days. Mentally, I don't feel old. I still have so much I want to learn and experience. I know I often wonder how I am old enough to be the adult in charge of my family (I have older teenagers). I look in the mirror and know that I am old, so I avoid mirrors. My best friend is a pregnant 28 year old nurse whom I have great times with. My vote is that I am both old and not old.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Servant68

Jun 30, 2015
The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
So sorry to hear about your pain, Blackribbon. Nursing is so hard on a body due to all of the physical exertion and sleep deprivation. My two great aunts were nurses for 50 years and were the most kind and humble women I've ever known. They also both were just plain old wore out by the time they reached their 60's. But they kept going into their 70's until one of them developed Alzheimer's and the other started caring for her full time.

• Friendly
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
:cool:

Do you feel old?

LOL, thanks for the laugh this morning!
most of the time I feel old---until someone in their 40's reminds me that I'm really as ancient as dust!
genetically speaking I probably have a good 20 years or more to live...

so what's the next category after ancient???:cool:

Upvote 0

AirForceTeacher

King of the Wicker People
Feb 23, 2004
The south
✟20,617.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I certainly don't feel as old as I always thought this age would be. Years ago I would have looked at this as the end of my life, and I just bought a beautiful house, I have a great new gf and I'm going on my first cruise this year. OTOH, I'm going in for shoulder surgery in a week because I bit it snowboarding and tore something up there, and naps are cool now.

Upvote 0

Servant68

Jun 30, 2015
The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I now love naps. Scary.

I was working in my yard last weekend putting in a new fire pit, mowing the lawn, and putting new tires on my ATV when I came into the house for a drink of water. I was just walking through the kitchen when my right knee suddenly gave out. What? I had just gone on a 5km hike in the Idaho wilderness the week before and no issues.

Now it's been going out on me off and on the last three days. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow. The whole thing is just ridiculous. Never had knee issues before in all my years of athletic feats...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Citanul

Well, when exactly do you mean?
May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟209,543.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
30-10469.jpg

More seriously, I don't really feel old. I probably look my age (38) as my hair is thinning and starting to go grey, but other than I can't think of anything.

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I guess the thing that makes me feel the oldest is the extra weight I've put on over the years. Yup into my 30s I only weighed 135. I could move, run climb mountains no problem. Now I'm 190 while I can still walk at a good clip, and I jogged almost 3 miles yesterday, its pretty slow with this weight. Hope to get in good enough shape to hike Mt. Washington later this summer.

Upvote 0