Do you believe Jesus is God?

Do you believe Jesus is God?

• Yes! This is undeniably true!

• Yes. This seems to be true.

• Maybe.

• No. There is some indication this is false.

• No! This is undeniably false!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Superfast

you can't understand the concept that if something changes into something else it ceases to be what it was before it made the change?
Jpark said:
Yeah, you're right. And as a matter of fact, I do consider the meaning of the words.

For instance, Scripture reveals there is more than one punishment. Matt. 18:34-35 clearly indicates eternal torture. 2 Thess. 1:9, eternal destruction, refers to those who oppose Jesus in His coming. Rev. 14:10 is for those who receive the mark.
And also, in 2 Thess. 1:9, presence literally means face.[/qutoe] So when i bring the meaning of greek words you tell me that you don't know greek and can't verify what I say, but here you are giving def. of greek words.
[qutoe=Jpark]

Yeah, that's what I meant I guess.

I wouldn't say I have Trinitarian bias. I only believe in it because of one Scripture and confirmation from God. I have a Jesus divinity bias, a compulsive desire to prove that Jesus is a Spirit.

Tell me more about this Rotherhams translation. Is it a Alexandrian type text? Is it like the Codex Sinaiticus?
Rotherham, according to what I"ve heard, was on the ASV committee that produced the ASV version of the bible back around 1900, but he was dissatisfied with many of the translations so he made his own. If you compare Rotherhams translation with say a Greek interlinear, you will find that he more often than not is very literal in his translations. It makes for somewhat unsmooth reading at times, but not incomprehensible. Many times when everyone else is wrong, Rotherham will be right. but not always. sometimes Rotherham blows it big time. It appears to me that whoever translates a bible instantly gets the devil on his back pushing him to be dishonest, and no one can be totally honest or accurate in that situation. Which is why we all need to depend on more than one translation, in my opinon.

example most everyone changes 1 cor. 14.12 to read spiritual gifts, but the greek word is pneuma which always means spirit, Rotherham is one of the very few translations that translates 1 cor. 14.12 corretly which is spirit. I sometimes use 1 cor. 14.12 as a quick and easy litmus paper test to see if a translationI am familiar with is generally accurate. not a fool proof test but a quick and easy one.
I don't know what text he used but I have found in my experiences with the book that he very often follows the reading in Westcot and hort..
Jpark said:
Intresting. I'll take a look at ubs.
the UBS has a positive reputation with most christians, at least that's my impression.
Jpark said:
Yeah sometimes. I rarely use Strongs though. I only rely it when I'm arguing about Mary and the Holy Spirit, that overshadowing meant the giving of authority over sin so that Mary was enabled to be sinless in that instance.

I might have said what I said earlier because I'm lazy.

Upvote 0
S

Superfast

He meant breath, indicated by breathed his last.
[SIZE=+0](Rotherham) Acts 7:59 And they stoned Stephen, as he was invoking and saying--Lord Jesus! give welcome unto my spirit. [/SIZE]

So Stephen really said or meant "Lord Jesus! give welcome to my breath."?

or are you going to say you don't know greek and have no idea what words mean?

Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
[SIZE=+0](Rotherham) Acts 7:59 And they stoned Stephen, as he was invoking and saying--Lord Jesus! give welcome unto my spirit. [/SIZE]

So Stephen really said or meant "Lord Jesus! give welcome to my breath."?

or are you going to say you don't know greek and have no idea what words mean? for example most everyone changes 1 cor. 14.12 to read spiritual gifts, but the greek word is pneuma
1 cor. 14.12 but the greek word is πνευματων plural

Stephen meant what he said: Act 7:59 and they were stoning Stephen, calling and saying, `Lord Jesus, receive my spirit;'
59 και ελιθοβολουν το ϲτεφανον επικαλουμενον και λεγοντα κε ιυ δεξαι το πνα μου ·

1 cor. 14.12 but the greek word is πνευματων plural

1Co 14:12 Just as you also are burning with the enthusiasm of spirits,[meaning spiritual things] ask that you may have excess for the building up of the assembly.

see also DARBY

The reason why they possibly avoided the use of "Spirits" was because it sounded like sorcery and along with the burning it was too much for the scribes!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.