Do you believe Jesus is God?

Do you believe Jesus is God?

• Yes! This is undeniably true!

• Yes. This seems to be true.

• Maybe.

• No. There is some indication this is false.

• No! This is undeniably false!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cubinity

jesus is; the rest is commentary.
Jun 11, 2010
✟20,090.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
This is one of the hottest topics on CF, and members span the entire spectrum from extreme YES to extreme NO, with every moderate point in between being represented.

While I've seen and participated in many debates about this issue, I have not seen a poll on the subject.

Please provide some rationale for your answer and maybe even a comment or response to how others have answered.

In doing so, please be mindful and respectful of the rules of CF.

Thank you.

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, Jesus is God, as these sixty two scripture prove, but he is not the father.

Two posts, back to back, twenty eight passages spoken by Jesus in the order they occur in the N.T., addressing eternal punishment. Click Link!

Upvote 0

ToxicReboMan

Always Hungry for Truth
May 19, 2005
Texas
✟1,619.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I voted No, there is some indication that it is false.

The reason being I didn't vote for the extreme No was because very few things are undeniably true or false.

Although, I would say that instead of some indication that Jesus is not God (Almighty), I would say there is a lot of indication that Jesus is not God (Almighty).

Upvote 0
S

Superfast

I voted No, there is some indication that it is false.

The reason being I didn't vote for the extreme No was because very few things are undeniably true or false.

Although, I would say that instead of some indication that Jesus is not God (Almighty), I would say there is a lot of indication that Jesus is not God (Almighty).
Do \you believe the truth is discoverable? That is to say, do you believe that through studing god's word and revelation from god, and following the leading of the holy spirit that one can come to an absolute certain decision that Jesus either is or isn't god? I do. So far you're the only wafflerer, i.e. not absolutely sure.

Upvote 0

ToxicReboMan

Always Hungry for Truth
May 19, 2005
Texas
✟1,619.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Do \you believe the truth is discoverable? That is to say, do you believe that through studing god's word and revelation from god, and following the leading of the holy spirit that one can come to an absolute certain decision that Jesus either is or isn't god? I do. So far you're the only wafflerer, i.e. not absolutely sure.

Of course, I believe the truth is discoverable.

I'm not a waffler when it comes to this particular subject. I'm very steadfast in my position. You just misunderstood my post. Allow me to explain. Does anyone deny your assertion that Jesus is not God? Yes, therefore your position is not undeniable. I was just addressing the OP's particular wording.

I know with certainty that the Scripture do not teach that Jesus is God Almighty. But people will deny this truth. Therefore, it is not undeniable. Get where I was coming from now?

The Trinity or God-man theology is not undeniable either. I wasn't trying to be overly critical of the poll I was just stating my position. I think it is a good poll question, but I would have just worded it differently that's all. No biggie. Does this clear things up?

Perhaps, I was being too diplomatic in my wording and it came off the wrong way...

Perhaps, I should have abstained from voting and explained why...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
R

RickardoHolmes

Well, this is a hot topic. And more than that, this is a DEEP Topic.
We first have to have a common definition of "God" and a common definition of "Jesus"
Without that, how can we know we are communicating on the same level?

In a mystical concept, "God" is the ultimate reality the "Cosmic consciousness".... Some might say "God is Love" indicating that God is the positive energy that flows through all in the universe. God is personal, spiritual, a devine concept of perfection love and power, far above the ability of humans to understand.

So to Say Jesus is God? Well, we have no way of knowing for certain. But based on the teachings we can gather, looking at the influence of first century myhtology and early writings, we can know that there was some remarkable teacher who was a disciple of John the Baptist for a a few years, then taught on his own for about ten years or so afterwards. We also know that the teachings appear to parallel those of the Buddha in many cases, so we are clearly dealing with an insightful and many would say "Enlightened" teacher. And clearly part of this enlightenment, we can see, is the realization of "God Within" and a part of the Universal Consciousness. So with that argument, then Yes Jesus was God, and so am I so are You, so is everyone. We just need to realize it. And realization of that does not involve embracing an external savior but rather to embrace an internal manifestation of the Christ-Consciousness and allow the Light of God to live and shime from within us.

Upvote 0
R

RickardoHolmes

Let me PLease add that this is not the type of topic that can be replied to in a few minutes, although I have tried. This is the type of topic that people will spend years in spiritual searching, mystical communion with a personal God to understand. Understanding this topic is not something that someone can just say "Oh OK I got it" not this is deep, very deep, because to unerstand it, you first have to REALIZE it .......

Upvote 0

Ed Bana

Nov 13, 2010
Owosso Michigan
✟2,409.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is so true truth needs to be discovered the deepness of God's Word and it is not limited to one verse; you have a valid point but are dismissing ever other valid point given here. If Jesus is not God then why did his death do such a tremedous work for all mankind?

You dismiss his name as if he was called fred.
You dimiss the verses that declare the reverse of the curse?
If man is elohim; who is Jesus?
Why was he preordained to die even before Adam's fall?
Are not Adam and Jesus sons of God? My sons are not any different then I except they are a new generation, same line, same seed. BUT we are not speaking of the earth lineage here, we a re speaking a divine linage.

Upvote 0

Hairy Tic

May 4, 2005
✟2,144.00
Faith
Catholic
This is one of the hottest topics on CF, and members span the entire spectrum from extreme YES to extreme NO, with every moderate point in between being represented.

While I've seen and participated in many debates about this issue, I have not seen a poll on the subject.

Please provide some rationale for your answer and maybe even a comment or response to how others have answered.

In doing so, please be mindful and respectful of the rules of CF.

Thank you.
## Sometimes I believe He is in some sense God. I don't know.

Any answer is ISTM skewed by the difference that almost 2,000 years have made - the Gospel is OK in its original culture & original geography & original historical background, but as Jesus did not have (say) Australia in mind, a Christianity that does allow for the actuality of Australia or other distant lands totally unknown to Jesus & his contemporaries is different from the message Jesus preached - for who even in the earliest Church bothered about the salvation of Maoris ? Australia was unknown to Jesus & to Christians for 1700 years. The Christian message is like a sheet that is stretched over a bed far too large for it - if the bed had been far smaller, the sheet would have fitted it admirably; the bed is far larger than imagined - so the sheet tears. The Christian message has torn in the same way, & for the same reason.

The "Jesus religion" was changed into something different, imperceptibly, & unintentionally, by being preached to Gentiles in Gentile lands - it became a competitor with Judaism, rather than staying a sect of it or even like it. The controversies between Christians who are almost entirely Gentiles over the Commandments are a huge waste of time, & always have been: they were meant for the Jews, not for us (as Luther pointed out).

The different NT writers have different ideas about the metaphysical status of Jesus - which is how people with wildly varying notions can all appeal to the NT. All NT writers agree that Jesus is very important, but that is about the extent of their agreement. John emphasises Jesus' love for others - the other Gospels do not give the impression that He loved His opponents much. Hebrews says He is without sin, but the Gospels make this look like wishful thinking.

With all these differences, I don't think it matters whether Jesus was purely human, non-existent, a false prophet, a lunatic, a liar, a Divine Being, or who-knows-what-else. I think it is a bit late to be worrying. In practice, beliefs are no indication of behaviour, so I think the ID of Jesus is not that important. God certainly does not act as though He were real - so, why worry about Jesus ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timbo3

Nov 4, 2006
East Texas
✟18,582.00
Faith
Jehovahs Witness
Marital Status
Married
That Jesus is God is undeniably false, for at the beginning of his ministry, while in the synagogue, he read from Isaiah 61:1, 2: "Jehovah’s spirit is upon me, because he anointed me to declare good news to the poor, he sent me forth to preach a release to the captives and a recovery of sight to the blind, to send the crushed ones away with a release, to preach Jehovah’s acceptable year.”(Luke 4:18, 19) How could Jesus be God and yet have "Jehovah's spirit upon me", being anointed by Jehovah "to declare good news to the poor", to "preach Jehovah's acceptable year" ?

That Jesus is not God, can readily be seen from Jesus statements, such as: "What I teach is not mine, but belongs to him that sent me. If anyone desires to do His will, he will know concerning the teaching whether it is from God or I speak of my own originality."(John 7:16, 17) In addition, he said that "I do nothing of my own initiative; but just as the Father taught me I speak these things. And he that sent me is with me; he did not abandon me to myself, because I always do the things pleasing to him.”(John 8:28, 29)

Upvote 0
S

solarwave

I voted for yes but that I am unsure because it seems to me the fullness of God is seen the the Father who has all the attributes you normally give to God.

Also the idea of Trinity that there are 3 persons that are one God seems some what arbitrary.... why 3 and not 4 or five, couldn't it have been more if God choose? Well the concept of the Trinity being eternally 3 seems to say more isn't possible and for some unknown reason it is 3.

I have no problem with there being a Trinity, but that the Trinity isn't three persons in one, but different expressions of the one.

For example Jesus could be seen as the fullest expression of God in human form and so we can consider him God, but still this is an expression of the eternal God in a physical world.

The Holy Spirit is somewhat harder. Perhaps the how the eternal God appears to act to us in space and time.

I feel like a heretic writing the above XD

Upvote 0

Evergreen48

Aug 24, 2006
✟17,819.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
By taking away the exclamation marks and and placing a comma after "no". I voted for "No, This is undeniably false".

Hebrews 1:1. "God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, 2. Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds; 3. Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high; 4. Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they."

There is no way that anyone can reasonably explain how God can sit down at his own right hand.

Hebrews 10: 12. "But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God; "

Jesus was a man when he did his work of redemption, and according Hebrews 10:12 Christ Jesus was still identified as being a man when he sat down at the right hand of God, after he had done his work of redemption.

The scriptures are plentiful in the NT which teach that Jesus was a man; that he was the Son of God, and that he was God's Son of man(kind). But there are zero, none, zilch, which teach that he was/is God himself. The only place one can find it taught that Jesus is God is within the doctrine of the trinity, and as far as I know this doctrine has not yet been canonized as holy scripture. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Godchaser_70

Married happily to my nupreacher
Nov 21, 2010
Oklahoma
✟16,676.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
By taking away the exclamation marks and and placing a comma after "no". I voted for "No, This is undeniably false".

Hebrews 1:1. "God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, 2. Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds; 3. Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high; 4. Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they."

There is no way that anyone can reasonably explain how God can sit down at his own right hand.

Hebrews 10: 12. "But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God; "

Jesus was a man when he did his work of redemption, and according Hebrews 10:12 it was the man Christ Jesus, who after he had done his work of redemption, was still identified as a man when he sat down at the right hand of God.

The scriptures are plentiful in the NT which teach that Jesus was a man; that he was the Son of God, and that he was God's Son of man(kind). But there are zero, none, zilch, which teach that he was/is God himself. The only place one can find it taught that Jesus is God is within the doctrine of the trinity, and as far as I know this doctrine has not yet been canonized as holy scripture. :)
lets go to the word,it speaks for itself.

lets go to john 1:1
in the beginning was the word,and the word was with god,and the word was god.
john 1:14
and the word was made flesh,and dwelt among us,(and we beheld his glory,the glory as of the only begotten of the father,) full of grace and truth.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.