Visit site
✟174,237.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I guess it depends on your definition of "fate". I believe that God is in complete control, and while He just lets some things happen, He takes action to lead other things a certain direction. The Bible says "we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him". God will make sure that anything that happens to us - even the bad things - will result in something positive. Even if it's just to teach us something about Him.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I do myself because I believe in God and the fact that God has a plan for all of us and that some things are just meant to happen. :)

Ephesians 1:11
In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will,

Reactions: April_Rose
Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I believe in predestination, not fate. I voted no. God predestines us by changing our heart. Our actions reflect our will. Our destiny stems from our actions. God works all things toward his higher end.

Fate is more of an impersonal force that drives people toward an outcome, no matter what they want, or what they do. A fatalist would say that it doesn't matter what you do, because the outcome is fated. I don't believe that.

• Agree
Reactions: jamiec
Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
I believe in predestination, not fate. I voted no. God predestines us by changing our heart. Our actions reflect our will. Our destiny stems from our actions. God works all things toward his higher end.

Fate is more of an impersonal force that drives people toward an outcome, no matter what they want, or what they do. A fatalist would say that it doesn't matter what you do, because the outcome is fated. I don't believe that.

I'm not really sure what you mean. Could you maybe rephrase that?

Upvote 0

Friedrich Rubinstein

Aug 20, 2020
Europe
Visit site
✟174,237.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Neo answered this question in The Matrix. I feel the same way he does.

Isn't it liberating to know that a loving, all-powerful God is in control of your life and holds His hand above you? If humans were in full control and God didn't cause good things to happen then this earth would be hell itself. Maybe you don't like the expression "fate", but in my humble opinion we should be thankful for God having the final say.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I do myself because I believe in God and the fact that God has a plan for all of us and that some things are just meant to happen. :)
It's not "fate". God indeed has a plan for us. It's not automatic. We must cooperate in order for the plan to come to pass.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It might be nitpicking. But I would say "purpose" rather than "plan".

On that basis, yes, I believe in fate.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,083.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Fate is a curious word for it. God does not do things because they are bound to happen, or even meant (apart from him) to happen. Everything that "happens" began with his creating. He is not subject to his creation, but is the first cause in the chain of causality. Fate is not the word for it. Predestination is.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,083.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

Haha, in practice he is both right and wrong! If he cares not what he does, he accomplishes what was always going to happen. If he takes care to drive his destiny, he still accomplishes what was always going to happen.

Explain to me what is wrong with this construction: Whatever actually happens is the only thing that can happen, as history shows. There is no possibility for anything else, then, to happen in the future, but whatever WILL in fact happen.

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Haha, in practice he is both right and wrong! If he cares not what he does, he accomplishes what was always going to happen. If he takes care to drive his destiny, he still accomplishes what was always going to happen.

Explain to me what is wrong with this construction: Whatever actually happens is the only thing that can happen, as history shows. There is no possibility for anything else, then, to happen in the future, but whatever WILL in fact happen.

In terms of final outcome, I suppose there's no difference. Oedipus was fated to kill his father and marry his mother, but despite every effort to do otherwise, the outcome was the same. On the other hand, prophecy of the Bible usually has a contingency to it, based on the response of the hearer, and the outcome is a result of the response. One gets a sense of futility from fatalism not found in predestination.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,083.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
In terms of final outcome, I suppose there's no difference. Oedipus was fated to kill his father and marry his mother, but despite every effort to do otherwise, the outcome was the same. On the other hand, prophecy of the Bible usually has a contingency to it, based on the response of the hearer, and the outcome is a result of the response. One gets a sense of futility from fatalism not found in predestination.
Agreed --in fact, God says outright that he was going to wipe them out (like in the story of Jonah) if they did not repent. I have no doubt that it was a possibility --my "construction" was a smart-mouthing to make a point: that nobody yet can master probability, but God, and, of course, that in spite of anything else we might suppose, only one thing ever happens, as far as we know. Chance has nothing to do with it. God doesn't wring his hands worrying.

Even in the matter of how one "attains" Salvation --I have no doubt the offer is valid, that if a fallen person could "receive" Christ of his own volition, he would be saved, but that won't happen. Likewise, the Old Testament offer of Heaven through works/ obedience --but Christ is the only one who obeyed perfectly.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,083.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Everything is meant to happen. By God, who uses every intention, bad or good, for good to those he has chosen.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I don't. I get the sense God has a plan, and some things just are, but there are a lot of things that are based on our own personal choices.

So it's not quite so simplistic as "fate" since we are instructed to pray "may your will be done on earth as it is in heaven" which means it isn't. So we pray.

Sometimes people choose to not pray for people who spitefully use them, and the world isn't any better for it.

Upvote 0