Do we ever get ‘sick’ of God stuff?

What I mean, for example, is that I’ve heard people say that ‘well, we can’t always talk about the bible.’ It’s true that we have things to do other than worship in this earth, and yet Paul says that whatever we do in word or deed, do all in the name of Christ. Whatever we do, whether eating or drinking, do it to the glory of God. How innocuous and menial can it get more than eating and drinking? Can we really glorify God by doing these things? How? How can we bring God into our most common daily routines?
There are two things in the old testament that I always like to remember, and they are reflected in the new testament as well. One, is:
Deut 6:5 You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. 6 And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. 7 You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. 8 You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. 9 You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.
The second is that we are priests:
1 Pet 2:5 you yourselves like living stones are being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.
1 Pet 2:9 But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.
The thing about the priesthood, is that everything they did, touched, married, ate, or wore was in the separated realm of holiness. God knows I don’t live like this. I’ve had a few moments when I was committed to it, and maybe one day... Well, God help me. I know I’m missing out on something.
The point is, though, that one day when we leave this secular, godless, Satan ruled world behind, the only life, the only conversation, the only activity we shall know is perpetual preoccupation with God and heavenly things. We may leave the church building and replace our music with secular songs, and abandon our ‘Christian’ conversations with nothing but subjects that relate to this world, but in that day we won’t be able to take off our church garments for our common civvies. Church will be the ONLY state of mind. God will be the ONLY subject of conversation. The songs of praise and redemption will be the ONLY music we hear or sing. Everything we do will be about Christ. There will be nowhere to go from the presence of God and church.
We won’t be able to take a day off to think about ourselves or to engage in unspiritual activities, no matter how innocent they may be. It behooves us to begin to ‘fix our minds on things above’ for this reason, and to prepare for that coming way of life. For it will be the ONLY way of life for alllll eternity!
So if we ever get sick of talking about and hearing about Jesus and spiritual things, then we should be very afraid that we have no true love for God at all, but that we ‘savor not the things of God, but of men.’ To savor is to have a taste for. Do we have no taste for the subject of the bible which is the very language set apart for saints? Are we more comfortable and at ease with talk of movies, computers, family, college, pets, gardening, career, or anything that is of this world, and not the next, as if we are avoiding communion with Christ, or focus on our God?
It may seem innocent. It may seem moral. But God has called us to a zealous preoccupation with the realm of Godness. It is our birthright and our eternal destiny. Do you think that we will actually wake up from the dead with a supernatural alteration in what we love today? Do you think that God will suddenly take away our distaste for heaven, and transplant it with a love for heavenly things that we did not have or cultivate while on the earth? Do we expect that shallow relationship to God to suddenly be turned to flaming eagerness to be with him and love heaven? Beware that what you have is not the thorns that drain the sap of God’s spirit from the soil in which the word is sown in our hearts, and thus miss out on God’s purpose and calling for us. In that day how do we know that we will meet with God’s approval and praise for lives that avoided mention of him? And minds that felt it was too much to dwell on him every single moment?

seekertruth72

Apr 28, 2012
✟18,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
alphanoodle, I see in myself that i cling to things in this world that you spoke of and i know i'm only a baby in Christ, but what a good thing it is to see my prayers answered and to be happy knowing my place, this must be God humbling me. I do wish to grow but i guess it will take time. We do have to deal with things in this world, we do have gardens and hobbies and jobs, but we must not allow ourselves to worry about those things because the Lord told us to not worry about those things and not to be anxious for anything, but in all things pray for God to give us what we need and thank Him for those things. There is nothing wrong with having hobbies but we should be aware that is can become idolatry like you seem to be saying.

When paul said do all things for the Glory of Christ, weather we drink or eat, i think he was talking about eating meat offered to idols because that would provoke the Lords jealousy and it would cause others to stumble over it, and he may have also been talking about not allowing our liberty from kosher food laws to cause our brethren who may think they need to observe those laws from stumbling over our liberty. Paul said he would eat or drink nothing that caused his brethren to stumble, even though he knew all food was pure and lawful to eat. Paul was speaking of loving his brethren and about not allowing His good to be spoken evil of by having his weaker brethren judge him and speak evil of him, he wouldn't eat anything that caused his brethren to become weak and he did this for their sake and for the Lord.

Luk 12:15 And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth.

Php 4:6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
Php 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Luk 12:22 And he said unto his disciples, Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat; neither for the body, what ye shall put on.
Luk 12:23 The life is more than meat, and the body is more than raiment.
Luk 12:24 Consider the ravens: for they neither sow nor reap; which neither have storehouse nor barn; and God feedeth them: how much more are ye better than the fowls?
Luk 12:25 And which of you with taking thought can add to his stature one cubit?

1Co 10:18 Behold Israel after the flesh: are not they which eat of the sacrifices partakers of the altar?
1Co 10:19 What say I then? that the idol is any thing, or that which is offered in sacrifice to idols is any thing?
1Co 10:20 But I say, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God: and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils.
1Co 10:21 Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils.
1Co 10:22 Do we provoke the Lord to jealousy? are we stronger than he?
1Co 10:23 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.
1Co 10:24 Let no man seek his own, but every man another's wealth.
1Co 10:25 Whatsoever is sold in the shambles, that eat, asking no question for conscience sake:
1Co 10:26 For the earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof.
1Co 10:27 If any of them that believe not bid you to a feast, and ye be disposed to go; whatsoever is set before you, eat, asking no question for conscience sake.
1Co 10:28 But if any man say unto you, This is offered in sacrifice unto idols, eat not for his sake that shewed it, and for conscience sake: for the earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof:
1Co 10:29 Conscience, I say, not thine own, but of the other: for why is my liberty judged of another man's conscience?
1Co 10:30 For if I by grace be a partaker, why am I evil spoken of for that for which I give thanks?
1Co 10:31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
1Co 10:32 Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God:
1Co 10:33 Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.

Upvote 0

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The point is, though, that one day when we leave this secular, godless, Satan ruled world behind, the only life, the only conversation, the only activity we shall know is perpetual preoccupation with God and heavenly things.

I don't know how accurate this is. What was the very first job that God gave Adam? He didn't tell Adam to ignore all of creation and only look at Him all day. Nope, He told Adam to take care of the garden. That was before the fall, and even before that very first law.

God wants us to take care of His creation with Him. We are the care takers, we are the ambassadors, we are co-responsible with God. He did not create us to spend all day sitting on a cloud with a harp, He created us to get to work. :)

It is our birthright and our eternal destiny. Do you think that we will actually wake up from the dead with a supernatural alteration in what we love today? Do you think that God will suddenly take away our distaste for heaven, and transplant it with a love for heavenly things that we did not have or cultivate while on the earth? Do we expect that shallow relationship to God to suddenly be turned to flaming eagerness to be with him and love heaven? Beware that what you have is not the thorns that drain the sap of God’s spirit from the soil in which the word is sown in our hearts, and thus miss out on God’s purpose and calling for us. In that day how do we know that we will meet with God’s approval and praise for lives that avoided mention of him? And minds that felt it was too much to dwell on him every single moment?

Amen to this. Heaven is going to be chock-full of sinners. Do we really believe that the Christians who annoy us down here won't annoy us up there, too? God isn't going to magically make us all pleasant people (He could have just done that in the first place).

Instead, He is transforming us further into His image, by giving us the power to be humble. By giving us the willingness to bend our knees to someone other than ourselves, even someone lesser.

If we don't acquire a God's-eye-view, how can we possibly do that?

Upvote 0
G

gideons300

What I mean, for example, is that I’ve heard people say that ‘well, we can’t always talk about the bible.’ It’s true that we have things to do other than worship in this earth, and yet Paul says that whatever we do in word or deed, do all in the name of Christ. Whatever we do, whether eating or drinking, do it to the glory of God. How innocuous and menial can it get more than eating and drinking? Can we really glorify God by doing these things? How? How can we bring God into our most common daily routines?
There are two things in the old testament that I always like to remember, and they are reflected in the new testament as well. One, is:
Deut 6:5 You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. 6 And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. 7 You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. 8 You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. 9 You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.
The second is that we are priests:
1 Pet 2:5 you yourselves like living stones are being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.
1 Pet 2:9 But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.
The thing about the priesthood, is that everything they did, touched, married, ate, or wore was in the separated realm of holiness. God knows I don’t live like this. I’ve had a few moments when I was committed to it, and maybe one day... Well, God help me. I know I’m missing out on something.
The point is, though, that one day when we leave this secular, godless, Satan ruled world behind, the only life, the only conversation, the only activity we shall know is perpetual preoccupation with God and heavenly things. We may leave the church building and replace our music with secular songs, and abandon our ‘Christian’ conversations with nothing but subjects that relate to this world, but in that day we won’t be able to take off our church garments for our common civvies. Church will be the ONLY state of mind. God will be the ONLY subject of conversation. The songs of praise and redemption will be the ONLY music we hear or sing. Everything we do will be about Christ. There will be nowhere to go from the presence of God and church.
We won’t be able to take a day off to think about ourselves or to engage in unspiritual activities, no matter how innocent they may be. It behooves us to begin to ‘fix our minds on things above’ for this reason, and to prepare for that coming way of life. For it will be the ONLY way of life for alllll eternity!
So if we ever get sick of talking about and hearing about Jesus and spiritual things, then we should be very afraid that we have no true love for God at all, but that we ‘savor not the things of God, but of men.’ To savor is to have a taste for. Do we have no taste for the subject of the bible which is the very language set apart for saints? Are we more comfortable and at ease with talk of movies, computers, family, college, pets, gardening, career, or anything that is of this world, and not the next, as if we are avoiding communion with Christ, or focus on our God?
It may seem innocent. It may seem moral. But God has called us to a zealous preoccupation with the realm of Godness. It is our birthright and our eternal destiny. Do you think that we will actually wake up from the dead with a supernatural alteration in what we love today? Do you think that God will suddenly take away our distaste for heaven, and transplant it with a love for heavenly things that we did not have or cultivate while on the earth? Do we expect that shallow relationship to God to suddenly be turned to flaming eagerness to be with him and love heaven? Beware that what you have is not the thorns that drain the sap of God’s spirit from the soil in which the word is sown in our hearts, and thus miss out on God’s purpose and calling for us. In that day how do we know that we will meet with God’s approval and praise for lives that avoided mention of him? And minds that felt it was too much to dwell on him every single moment?
Alpha, excellent post. Many say of some that they are "so heavenly minded, that they are no earthly good". Sadly, I think the opposite is far more the truth with way too many of us, a truth we simply do not want to face.

We are exhorted to set our affections on things above, not on things of this earth, not on things that distract us from what we are put here for, to run a race... and finish it.

Beginning the race and not finishing or finishing half-heartedly will be a voice against us at judgement. Half-hearted repentance for our half-heartedness is shooting craps with our souls. Thbis blaise attitude towards the things of God reveals something deep within us as to our real heart's desire. We are to run as if there is but one prize and everything in our lives must bear witness to that fact.

I bought a Bible paraphrase today I would like to recommend to all. If any has a hard time reading the Bible, not for theological study but for the basic message of what God wants us to hear, how He wants us to respond,this one is simply amazing. It is "THE MESSAGE: The New Testament, Psalms and Proverbs in Contemporary Language" and published by NAVPRESS. Yiu can get it on Amazon for about $8.00. I am a KJV guy, yet as I read through various chapters, I was struck again and again at the simple message God is crying out to us. FOLLOW ME! There are no verses, only chapters. Here is what God wrote to the church of Laodecia in Revelations 3:

"I know you inside out and find little to my liking. You are not cold. You are not hot. Far better to be cold or hot! You are stale. You are stagnant. You make me want to vomit.

You brag "I'm rich. I've got it made. I need nothing from anyone. I've got it made", oblivious that in fact you are a pitiful, blind beggar, threadbare and homeless.

Here is what I want you to do. Buy your gold from me, gold that has been through the refiner's fire. Then you will be rich. Buy your clothes from Me. Then you will have clothes designed in Heaven. You have gone around half-naked long enough. And buy medicine for your eyes from me, so that you can see, really see.

The people I love, I call into account. I prod and correct and guide so that they will live at their best. Up on your feet then! About face! Run after God!

Look at Me. I stand at the door. I knock. If you hear me call and open the door, I will come right in and sit down to supper with you. Conquorers will sit along side me at the head table, just as I have conquored, and took the place of honor at the head table at the side of my Father. That's my gift to the conquorers!

Are your ears awake? Listen. Listen to the Wind Words, the Spirit blowing through the churches."

Revelations 3: 15:22

One word. WOW!

Good to see you posting again, my brother in the Lord.

Gideon

P.S. I never meant to hurt you. I hope you find it in your heart to forgive me.

Upvote 0

Andres88

Contributor
Feb 7, 2008
Santo Domingo
✟25,823.00
Country
Dominican Republic
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
This is such an incredible post. I praise God that He used you as His instrument to articulate these things. I've been talking about that for years, and now that you write about it, it becomes a great encouragement. Very probably I will be sharing this with some of my friends.

Blessings.

Upvote 0