Visit site
✟1,357,541.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are. The reason why the world does not know us is that it did not know him. Beloved, we are God's children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is. And everyone who thus hopes in him purifies himself as he is pure” (1 John 3:1-3 ESV).

Now, it is critical that we read Scriptures like this in their context. For not everyone who says to Christ, “Lord, Lord,” will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one DOING the will of God the Father who is in heaven (see Matthew 7:21-23). And if we profess Christ as our Savior with our lips, and if we claim that we are in fellowship with him, but while we continue to live in sin, and while we refuse to obey his commands, then we are liars, and the truth is not in us (see 1 John 1:5-10; 1 John 2:3-6; 1 John 3:4-10).

In other words, just because someone claims to be in Christ or to be a child of God, it doesn’t mean that person truly is in Christ or that he is a child of God. But it is true that it is only because of God’s love and grace that any of us should be called children of God. For we can do nothing in ourselves to earn or to deserve our own salvation. Only by the grace of God can any of us be in Christ and have the hope of eternal life with God. But his grace to us requires that we die to sin and live to his righteousness (Titus 2:11-14).

For Jesus said that if anyone would come after him that he must deny self, take up his cross daily (die daily to sin) and follow (obey) him. For if we hold on to our old lives of living in sin, we will lose them for eternity. But if for the sake of Christ we deny self, die daily to sin, and follow him in obedience, in his power, by his grace, then we have eternal life with him. For Jesus gave his life up for us on that cross to buy us back for God (to redeem us) out of our lives of living in sin so that we will now honor him with our lives (see Luke 9:23-26; 1 Peter 2:24; 1 Corinthians 6:19-20; Romans 6:1-23).

So, when this says that the world does not know us, this includes the worldly “church.” It includes all who are of this world in their way of thinking, believing, speaking, and behaving, in practice. It is all who are walking in the ways of this sinful world and not in the ways of God in holy living who do not know those who truly are of God and who are his true children. And this is because they have been blinded by the lies of the enemy, and so they don’t truly know God intimately, because they live in opposition to him.

But those who are truly of God, and are his true children, according to the Scriptures, are those who are walking according to the Spirit and not according to the flesh, who are walking in obedience to the Lord and to his commands, and who are not walking (in conduct, in practice) in sin. This does not make us perfect people, though, for we are all in the process of being sanctified and being made holy, and we won’t be perfect until Jesus returns and he takes his faithful bride to be with him for eternity.

But lack of perfection is never to be used as an excuse for continued deliberate and habitual sin against the Lord. For if we walk in sin, we will die in our sins. We will not inherit eternal life with God. For notice what it says here. “Everyone who thus hopes in him purifies himself as he is pure.” And this is consistent all throughout this book of 1 John and with the New Testament and Old Testament Scriptures. God’s true people have always been those who walk in obedience to him and who do not walk in sin.

[Matt 7:21-23; Matt 24:9-14; Lu 9:23-26; Rom 1:18-32; Rom 2:6-8; Rom 6:1-23; Rom 8:1-14,24; Rom 12:1-2; Rom 13:11; 1 Co 6:9-10,19-20; 2 Co 5:10,15,21; 1 Co 1:18; 1 Co 15:1-2; 2 Tim 1:8-9; Heb 9:28; 1 Pet 1:5; Gal 5:16-21; Gal 6:7-8; Eph 2:8-10; Eph 4:17-32; Eph 5:3-6; Col 1:21-23; Col 3:5-17; 1 Pet 2:24; Tit 2:11-14; 1 Jn 1:5-9; 1 Jn 2:3-6,24-25; 1 Jn 3:4-10; Heb 3:6,14-15; Heb 10:23-31; Heb 12:1-2; Rev 21:8,27; Rev 22:14-15]

Oh, to Be Like Thee, Blessed Redeemer

Lyrics by Thomas O. Chisholm, 1897
Music by W. J. Kirkpatrick, 1897

Oh, to be like Thee! blessèd Redeemer,
This is my constant longing and prayer;
Gladly I’ll forfeit all of earth’s treasures,
Jesus, Thy perfect likeness to wear.

Oh, to be like Thee! full of compassion,
Loving, forgiving, tender and kind,
Helping the helpless, cheering the fainting,
Seeking the wandering sinner to find.

O to be like Thee! lowly in spirit,
Holy and harmless, patient and brave;
Meekly enduring cruel reproaches,
Willing to suffer others to save.

O to be like Thee! while I am pleading,
Pour out Thy Spirit, fill with Thy love;
Make me a temple meet for Thy dwelling,
Fit me for life and Heaven above.

Oh, to be like Thee! Oh, to be like Thee,
Blessèd Redeemer, pure as Thou art;
Come in Thy sweetness, come in Thy fullness;
Stamp Thine own image deep on my heart.

Caution: This link may contain ads

Jan001

Striving to win the prize...
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2013
Midwest
✟110,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
IMO, Excellent post!

No such thing as "once saved, always saved". What matters is the state of my soul at the time of my death. If the Holy Spirit is present in my soul/heart at the moment of my death, He will claim to "know" me and I will then be approved worthy to inherit eternal life. Matthew 25:1-13 , Luke 13:24-28 , Luke 6:46-49

But if I am living a sinful life at the time of my death by refusing to forgive someone who has harmed me or by refusing to help family members when they truly need help, the Holy Spirit will claim that He does not know me and He will then not approve me to inherit eternal life. 1 Timothy 5:8, Matthew 6:15

Unrepented sins such as murder, adultery, fornication, etc., are not the only sins that will prevent a person from inheriting eternal life. Galatians 5:19-21

1 John 1:9 Repentance and confession of my sins to God always results in His forgiveness of my sins. Yay!

Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,357,541.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
IMO, Excellent post!

No such thing as "once saved, always saved". What matters is the state of my soul at the time of my death. If the Holy Spirit is present in my soul/heart at the moment of my death, He will claim to "know" me and I will then be approved worthy to inherit eternal life. Matthew 25:1-13 , Luke 13:24-28 , Luke 6:46-49

But if I am living a sinful life at the time of my death by refusing to forgive someone who has harmed me or by refusing to help family members when they truly need help, the Holy Spirit will claim that He does not know me and He will then not approve me to inherit eternal life. 1 Timothy 5:8, Matthew 6:15

Unrepented sins such as murder, adultery, fornication, etc., are not the only sins that will prevent a person from inheriting eternal life. Galatians 5:19-21

1 John 1:9 Repentance and confession of my sins to God always results in His forgiveness of my sins. Yay!
I agree that "once saved, always saved" is not biblical. We have to be living for the Lord, walking in fellowship with him, walking in obedience to his commandments, and not walking in sin if we want to have the hope of salvation from sin and eternal life with God. Others take it to the opposite extreme, though, to say if we sin at any point in our lives that we lose our salvation every time we sin. That is also not biblical. What the Scriptures teach is that our salvation and our hope of eternal life with God are based on what we do in practice. If sin is our practice, and not righteousness, and not walks of obedience to our Lord, we do not have salvation from sin and eternal life with God. But this all comes from God and not from ourselves, so this isn't about trying to earn or to deserve our own salvation.

Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,357,541.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Once saved always saved is true.
According to scripture none that the Father (heavenly father) has given to Jesus shall be lost.
You have to read that in its full context. Too many Scriptures are being taught out of context. In context it says a different thing.

Upvote 0

Jan001

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2013
Midwest
✟110,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I agree that "once saved, always saved" is not biblical. We have to be living for the Lord, walking in fellowship with him, walking in obedience to his commandments, and not walking in sin if we want to have the hope of salvation from sin and eternal life with God. Others take it to the opposite extreme, though, to say if we sin at any point in our lives that we lose our salvation every time we sin. That is also not biblical. What the Scriptures teach is that our salvation and our hope of eternal life with God are based on what we do in practice. If sin is our practice, and not righteousness, and not walks of obedience to our Lord, we do not have salvation from sin and eternal life with God. But this all comes from God and not from ourselves, so this isn't about trying to earn or to deserve our own salvation.
There are two degrees of sin: mortal sin and not mortal sin. Mortal sin causes a person to forfeit his salvation. Not mortal sin does not cause a person to forfeit his salvation.

1 John 5:16-17 If any one sees his brother committing what is not a mortal sin, he will ask, and God will give him life for those whose sin is not mortal. There is sin which is mortal; I do not say that one is to pray for that. 17 All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin which is not mortal.

Mortal sins such as those in Galatians 5:19-21 do immediately sever a person's relationship with God. Confession and repentance will restore a person's relationship with God. 1 John 1:9

Example of an immediate severing of oneself from God which is the loss of one's salvation:

Galatians 5:4 Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage. 2 Indeed I, Paul, say to you that if you become circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing. 3 And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that he is a debtor to keep the whole law. 4 You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace. 5 For we through the Spirit eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness by faith. 6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision avails anything, but faith working through love.

Jesus saves us first as His gift of love to us but then we do prove ourselves either worthy or unworthy to inherit eternal life by our own actions/choices.

Luke 20:34-35 And Jesus said to them, “The sons of this age marry and are given in marriage; 35 but those who are accounted worthy to attain to that age and to the resurrection from the dead neither marry nor are given in marriage,

Colossians 1:9-10 And so, from the day we heard of it, we have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, 10 to lead a life worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God.

James 2:21-25 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he offered his son Isaac upon the altar? 22 You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by works, 23 and the scripture was fulfilled which says, “Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness”; and he was called the friend of God. 24 You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone. 25 And in the same way was not also Rahab the harlot justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out another way?

James warns the Christians to not be deceived. He tells them that they will forfeit their salvation if they continue to sin:

James 1-21-22 Therefore lay aside all filthiness and overflow of wickedness, and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls. 22 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.

Jesus commands us to keep/obey His commandments if we want to inherit/enter eternal life.

Matthew 19:16-19 Now behold, one came and said to Him, “Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?” 17 So He said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.” 18 He said to Him, “Which ones?” Jesus said, “‘You shall not murder,’ ‘You shall not commit adultery,’ ‘You shall not steal,’ ‘You shall not bear false witness,’ 19 ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ ”

Luke 10:25-28

1 John 2:4 He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

We must obey God's commandments until our death if we desire to enter inherit/enter eternal life.

Upvote 0

Jan001

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2013
Midwest
✟110,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Once saved always saved is true.
According to scripture none that the Father (heavenly father) has given to Jesus shall be lost.
True. However, context is important to understand.

Context:

John 10:24-30 So the Jews gathered round him and said to him, “How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Christ, tell us plainly.” 25 Jesus answered them, “I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father’s name, they bear witness to me; 26 but you do not believe, because you do not belong to my sheep. 27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me; 28 and I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish, and no one shall snatch them out of my hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand. 30 I and the Father are one.”

The Father has given to Jesus only the persons who the Father knows will still be found "following" Jesus at the time of their death. God did not put into His hands any person who He knew would not be approved to enter into eternal life. Example of Christians who fall away from the gospel of Jesus Christ: 1 Corinthians 6:8-10

How does a person "follow" Jesus?

A person follows Jesus by obeying/keeping His commandments.

John 14:15 If you love me, you will keep my commandments.

John 14:21 He who has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me; and he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him.”

John 15:10 If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love.

Jesus is not the "Lord" of the Christians who are liars. The liars claim to love Jesus but they do not. If these Christians loved Him they would keep His commandments until they die. 1 John 2:4, Revelation 21:8

Luke 6:46 Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do what I tell you?

What will happen to the Christians who claim to know/love Jesus and even call Him "Lord" but fail to obey His commandments? They will not be approved worthy by Jesus to inherit eternal life.

Matthew 7:21-23 Not every one who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ 23 And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you evildoers.’

Luke 13:25-27 When once the householder has risen up and shut the door, you will begin to stand outside and to knock at the door, saying, ‘Lord, open to us.’ He will answer you, ‘I do not know where you come from.’ 26 Then you will begin to say, ‘We ate and drank in your presence, and you taught in our streets.’ 27 But he will say, ‘I tell you, I do not know where you come from; depart from me, all you workers of iniquity!’

Salvation:

Ephesians 2:8-10 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast. 10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.

Jesus saves us first as His gift/grace to us. No one can earn this salvation.
However, after Jesus saves us, some Christians only believe/obey Christ's commandments for a while. These Christians will disobey the commandments (they will sin) and thereby they will fall away from the faith/grace of Jesus Christ. Luke 8:13 If these Christians do not repent of their sins before they die, these Christians will not be approved by Jesus Christ to be worthy to inherit eternal life. Matthew 13:18-24

Some Christians do not do the good works that the Father had planned for them to do and so this is disobedience also. See Ephesians 2:10 above. These people will not be approved by Jesus Christ to be worthy to inherit eternal life. Matthew 7:21

Salvation is a lifelong process. It is not a one-time event.

Question: 1 Peter 4:18
Answer: 2 Thessalonians 1:7-10

Upvote 0