• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Do some believe babies go to Hell?

Discussion in 'Controversial Christian Theology' started by David Cabrera, Nov 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. David Cabrera

David Cabrera Well-Known Member

+646
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    I don't believe that but I would be interested to know if there is anyone here who believes that.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Phoebe Ann

Phoebe Ann From Mormonism to Christ Supporter

+6,154
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed
    God is sovereign and just and always does what is right. So I trust Him rather than state what He should do.

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  3. Southernscotty

Southernscotty Well-Known Member Supporter Angels Team

+7,249
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    Yes some people do. I have talked to them and they believe that unless one is "baptized" they perish apart from salvation. This is ludacris in my opinion as we are covered by the Blood until the age of accountability

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. TuxAme

TuxAme Quis ut Deus?

+2,092
    United States
    Catholic
    Celibate
    US-Republican
    I don't believe so, but there's certainly people who do.

5. Basil the Great

Basil the Great Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,452
    Christian
    Private
    US-Green
    I have never heard of anyone saying that babies go to Hell, but many have believed, and some still do, that unbaptized babies go to Limbo, per the teaching of the Early Church Father Augustine.

6. David Cabrera

+646
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    I heard some saying since babies are not part of the New Covenant they won't be able to be part of it.

7. Basil the Great

Basil the Great Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,452
    Christian
    Private
    US-Green
    I do not doubt that some Christians might profess such, but I have never heard such a doctrine preached or posted online. Now since there seems to be more Christians who believe that unbaptized babies go to Limbo, rather than Christians who believe that babies go to Hell, perhaps a new thread should be started in a few days or a few weeks re: the issue of Limbo for unbaptized babies and toddlers?

8. Der Alter

Der Alter This is me about 1 yr. old. Supporter

+2,001
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    The Bible answers the question.
    Romans 4:15
    (15) Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression.
    Romans 5:13
    (13) (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. ClementofA

ClementofA Well-Known Member Supporter

+985
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Those verses don't address (1) the sin nature of babies & how they could get into heaven with such a nature or (2) without being "born again", or (3) if they were demon oppressed or possessed.

If endless punishment were true & victims of infanticide all go to heaven

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. ClementofA

ClementofA Well-Known Member Supporter

+985
    Non-Denom
    Private
    "...I think the Western Church took a wrong turn when they accepted Augustine's notion of Original Sin. Augustine spent most of his life as a pagan and I believe his theology was tainted with pagan fatalism. Because so many babies and young children died in Augustine's day, it necessitated another erroneous doctrine--infant baptism--in a departure from the Bible. Part of Augustine's problem was that he did not know Greek and relied on an inferior Latin text for the formation of his theology.

"In contrast to Augustine (and the much later Calvin who was a great admirer of Augustine), the Bible teaches "believer's baptism". Those who believe in infant baptism, do a lot of theological dancing to try to "prove" that infant baptism is necessary. The truth is that reciting words over an infant does NOT effect salvation--it amounts to a superstitious incantation and pagan incantations are not effectual for anything. Infant dedication may be called for, as it commits the parents (and the wider congregation of the church) to raising a child under the "nurture and admonition of the Lord".

"Augustine actually taught that un-baptized infants go to hell--which I consider to be quite dreadful--a doctrine of demons. Jesus taught that the "angels" of young children "are constantly before the throne of God". Does this sound like He thought that their deaths would bring them unending punishment in hell? The unofficial doctrine of "limbo" for infants who died, was a much later fabrication of the Roman Catholic Church. There is NOTHING in Scripture which would indicate that there is anything called "limbo" (a place that is neither heaven nor hell) for un-baptized infants."

Who really goes to Hell?

----

"I think Augustine has done more damage to the church then any other - not only regarding original sin but also the retributive notion of hell. He popularized the idea of eternal punishment based upon his abysmal knowledge of Greek and had to rely on his understanding of Latin instead."

---

Who really goes to Hell?

According to J.N.D. Kelly's book "Early Christian Doctrines":

"In Augustine's day a wide variety of opinions were in vogue, some holding that the pains of hell would be temporary for all men without distinction, others that the intercession of the saints would secure their salvation..." (p.484).

Augustine believed re the pains of endless hell that those "of children dying unbaptized will be 'most mild of all'; but for all the chastisement will be eternal" (p.485).

Augustine "is led by certain texts of Scripture (1 Cor. 3, 13-15; Matt. 12:32) to allow that certain sinners may attain pardon in the world to come" (p.485)

and further re Augustine's view:

"There are people who, although Christians at heart, have remained entangled in earthly loves, and it is natural that after this life they should undergo purification by 'purgatorial fire' " (p.485).

11. Der Alter

Der Alter This is me about 1 yr. old. Supporter

+2,001
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    Do you have any scripture that shows people are punished for a nature? If you want to argue with the word of God, be my guest. I can't find the phrase "sin nature" anywhere in the NT. Please explain to me how infants, small children, mentally handicapped etc. can be demon oppressed or possessed?
    Romans 4:15
    (15) Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression.
    Romans 5:13
    (13) (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. SkyWriting

SkyWriting The Librarian Supporter

+4,068
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
  13. ItIsFinished!

ItIsFinished! Well-Known Member

+348
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Amen brother .
    100% CORRECT.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  14. Mountainmanbob

Mountainmanbob Goat Whisperer Supporter

+5,130
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Republican
    I would also like to believe that but, I don't think it can be found in the Bible?

Accountability age in the Bible just does not ring a bell?

M-Bob

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. David Cabrera

+646
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    There is nothing in the Bible about Age of Accountability.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. ItIsFinished!

+348
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Water doesn't save anyone , but a fish.
    Baptism has absolutely nothing to do with the salvation of ones soul. The shed blood of Jesus Christ on The Cross of Calvary and the atonement for our sins however does.
    A baby cannot intellectually make a decision to be baptized.
    ALL babies who have passed for whatever reason are with the Lord.

17. David Cabrera

+646
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    "Baptism which now saves you". I don't want to make this thread about if baptism saves you or not.
    However where in the Bible talks about making a decision based on reason(

18. ItIsFinished!

+348
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    There is nothing in The Word of God about babies going to hell.

19. David Cabrera

+646
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    Are babies part of the New Covenant?

20. ItIsFinished!

+348
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Water baptism and the act thereof does not save anyone.
    By grace through faith are you saved.